Topic: Graphical ISO?

In Parabola and Trisquel I have downloaded and run their graphical ISO to install these systems, for Parabola no graphical installers are and I have made my own script for this and recommending this to the newbies, which I can be easily studying managing my GNU systems deeply, for Trisquel there is a graphical installer which no beginners' instructions are needed.
Finally for your Hyperbola GNU system do I manually run pacman to install minimal wm to be my graphical ISO, just for my and newbies' approach installing Hyperbola? Thanks advising to me and I will need to instruct this to newbies.:)

Re: Graphical ISO?

hd_scania wrote:

In Parabola and Trisquel I have downloaded and run their graphical ISO to install these systems, for Parabola no graphical installers are and I have made my own script for this and recommending this to the newbies, which I can be easily studying managing my GNU systems deeply, for Trisquel there is a graphical installer which no beginners' instructions are needed.
Finally for your Hyperbola GNU system do I manually run pacman to install minimal wm to be my graphical ISO, just for my and newbies' approach installing Hyperbola? Thanks advising to me and I will need to instruct this to newbies.:)

Don't triple duplicate... I don't want you getting banned or anything.

Its not actually hard to do unless your trying to do fde or encrypted installs.

As long as you have an extra laptop of course... even a netbook. smile

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!

3 (edited by hd_scania 2018-01-08 04:49:29)

Honestly not too hard to me which I have just downgraded to Hyperbola instead of a cloned Parabola, yet for ones careless their mistakes damaging their Hyperbola fresh installs can be scary, for this they are best to install 2 Parabola systems in parallel and downgrade one to Hyperbola using a migration like one in our wiki. smile

hd_scania wrote:

Honestly not too hard to me which I have just downgraded to Hyperbola instead of a cloned Parabola, yet for ones careless their mistakes damaging their Hyperbola fresh installs can be scary, for this they are best to install 2 Parabola systems in parallel and downgrade one to Hyperbola using a migration like one in our wiki. smile

Ah, I was talking about for those who need to install it from scratch and want /home to be encrypted. wink

My understanding is that the problem with the graphical installer for Parabola was that people who used it were not able to maintain their installations.

The situation here is a bit different since Hyperbola is a rock solid stable LTS distro. A graphical installer might be useful but it might not be the best use of our developers' time. The beginner's KISS wiki was fairly simple to follow. This was my first successful install of a pacman based distro after trying off and on for a good five years. I don't mean to undervalue how important it was to have support on IRC from pre-existing online friends, of course, which is something all of us can do if we have some free time and compassion for struggling newbies.

Well done, whoever wrote the documentation.

noordinaryspider wrote:

My understanding is that the problem with the graphical installer for Parabola was that people who used it were not able to maintain their installations.

The situation here is a bit different since Hyperbola is a rock solid stable LTS distro. A graphical installer might be useful but it might not be the best use of our developers' time. The beginner's KISS wiki was fairly simple to follow. This was my first successful install of a pacman based distro after trying off and on for a good five years. I don't mean to undervalue how important it was to have support on IRC from pre-existing online friends, of course, which is something all of us can do if we have some free time and compassion for struggling newbies.

Well done, whoever wrote the documentation.

Possibly, but if we had graphical installers we could attract a lot more users to this distro.  Possibly even testers.

Although having a beginners, basic encrypted install guide would be nice. (only /home and /root would be encrypted as the default.)

zapper wrote:

[
Possibly, but if we had graphical installers we could attract a lot more users to this distro.

Which is, of course, both good and bad. smile

Installfests are another possibility for outreach to graphical installer type people, but of course that only works afk and I don't know how receptive people are to that these days or if they just fall into the "call the computer guy" mindset and try to give you money while ignoring everything you say.

But yea, I'll be glad to join the Welcome Wagon for English speakers and might dust off some other languages as well in a crisis.

https://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/Installfest

noordinaryspider wrote:
zapper wrote:

[
Possibly, but if we had graphical installers we could attract a lot more users to this distro.

Which is, of course, both good and bad. smile

Installfests are another possibility for outreach to graphical installer type people, but of course that only works afk and I don't know how receptive people are to that these days or if they just fall into the "call the computer guy" mindset and try to give you money while ignoring everything you say.

But yea, I'll be glad to join the Welcome Wagon for English speakers and might dust off some other languages as well in a crisis.

Well regardless, it would be nice to have more testers if possible. hmm

noordinaryspider wrote:
zapper wrote:

[

It seems that Margaret Rouse does not know much about the operating systems and kernels, so is using wrong terminology IMHO:

Margaret Rouse:
[Margaret Rouse - TechTarget, WhatIs.com](https://www.techtarget.com/contributor/Margaret-Rouse)

https://searchdatacenter.techtarget.com … ing-system

A person that does not know what is GNU and free software shall not be given place on this forum, and shall be reminded. I will remind her, and I suggest you do to.

She does not even know the concept of libre in definition of free, even she is English speaking.

https://whatis.techtarget.com/definitio … -system-OS

She is writing:

"Linux is a Unix-like operating system that was designed to provide personal computer users a free or very low-cost alternative. Linux has a reputation as a very efficient and fast-performing system. "

First it is not operating system, it is kernel, which does nothing for the user without the operating system, which is GNU or GNU is Not Unix as on http://www.gnu.org -- finally Linus also decided to liberate the Linux kernel as software after seeing Mr. Stallman in Finland in his university giving a speech. And Hyperbola GNU/Linux-libre have adopted the Linux-libre kernel in its fully free GNU operating system distribution.

Second, it is not free as in "low cost" but free in the terms of being libre and not gratis, and Margaret sadly does not know the difference, even though free software is nicely explained on http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html

The four essential freedoms

A program is free software if the program's users have the four essential freedoms: [1]

The freedom to run the program as you wish, for any purpose (freedom 0).
    The freedom to study how the program works, and change it so it does your computing as you wish (freedom 1). Access to the source code is a precondition for this.
    The freedom to redistribute copies so you can help others (freedom 2).
    The freedom to distribute copies of your modified versions to others (freedom 3). By doing this you can give the whole community a chance to benefit from your changes. Access to the source code is a precondition for this.

I do appreciate either that links posted on this forum are links that point users to the philosophy and politics of free software, and if such links have dubious terminology presented as "authoritative" then that authors of such articles are reminded and taught on what is actually free software.

And finally, first GNU distributions on CD-ROM with compiled binaries, were sold for US $5,000 -- so there was never intention in the free software movement to limit somebody to sell software for any price or money. Exactly that are many companies doing all over the world, making money on free software. For reference: https://www.gnu.org/bulletins/bull23.html#SEC26