1 (edited by gnu 2022-03-06 23:24:26)

Topic: [hyperbola 0.4] gnu screen & xterm

Do not achieve that GNU Screen run correctly with Xterm, someone will have the same problem?

"Ctrl-A c" opens a SH window instead of a Bash window

Re: [hyperbola 0.4] gnu screen & xterm

..with RXVT or ST there is no problem,
other software that does not work for me is wmctrl.

Anyway, version 0.4 is a great job.
I've missed Hyperbola a lot  ^_^

Hey, thanks for the feedback. Can you give more insights about wmctrl not working?
For sure we want to fix it when there is a way to do that.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

4 (edited by gnu 2022-03-10 00:39:03)

The command "wmctrl -lx" partially works, it only shows a window (while actually there were many open windows ) also "wmctrl -a" does not work.

I'm using the windows manager JWM.

Personally I have no clue for now, but we will try to test out possible solutions further and why the package is not working as it should. Can you describe the best outcome of the commands you have posted? So we have the whole picture for testing. Thanks! smile

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

6 (edited by gnu 2022-03-10 14:41:38)

It is not easy to explain, but, it seems that "wmctrl -l" can only see a window, for example, if I open the terminal first "wmctrl" will only see and raise the terminal, at the same time, if I first run iceweasel will just see and raise only the browser, but if I open a lot of windows (urxvt, gimp, librecad, inkscape, abiword, iceweasel etc) the command  "wmctrl -l" or ""wmctrl -lx" only see the first 3/4 windows.

From "Ratpoison WM" any "wmctrl" command gives me this message:

Cannot get client list properties. 
(_NET_CLIENT_LIST or _WIN_CLIENT_LIST)

maybe is your window manager problem ? maybe try searching the net if there anyone had a same problem ?

im remember some application had bad compability with certain window manager.

some example like mpv cant maximize fully in openbox, xterm would only maximized vertically in jwm, some gtk3 apps cant start because segfaulted etc etc..

oh yes 0.4 is very awesome, i think hyperbola needs more promotion, surely people that remain true to unix philosophy had no reason to not like or at least consider hyperbola smile

Hopefully this info is of some use.

I could be wrong, but I don't think it has anything to do with the window manager. I test wmctl with JWM on Devuan and everything worked fine. So I'm thinking this might be specific to Hyperbola.

also concerning @dikasp2 comment about xterm only maximizing vertically in  JWM.  That is not a bug. It is an option set in the default system.jwmrc as an example.  Just remove the group setting and xterm will behave normally.

It would be good if we can solve that together here and find the issues. It can be also some kind of problem with patches? Or the version we have integrated? There are literally uncountable reasons why something is not working like it should and it is also not possible to compare Hyperbola with Arch Linux, Parabola, Debian, Devuan or some other part like Ubuntu. Hyperbola has its own spheres and ways of functioning, even with all the frameworks not being any longer available making GNU/Linux bloated.

Yes, comparing systems for functions and ways to solve an error is possible and a good first try finding issues. But afterwards it stays on all people here. The developing-team alone cannot find all issues. Therefore we had a very long phase testing. And it is on-going for sure: Support is needed for sure then. wink

wmctrl is not an essential software so if it is not possible to fix it in a short time it could be removed from the servers.
Better less software but it works correctly.

Well, I think we should tryout first to fix it. So there is also a chance for all interested in the community doing more deep testing and finding the roots for problems, including more technical emancipation at all. smile

12 (edited by JWMKit 2022-03-11 22:12:24)

My intention was not to compare Hyperbola to Devuan but to confirm that wmctl and JWM can work well together as that seemed to be questioned. JWM is neither list as supported or not supported on wmctl website. So I thought It was helpful information.

As far as Ratpoison, it is listed as not working with wmctrl. So that is normal behavior.
http://tripie.sweb.cz/utils/wmctrl/

Has anyone else tested wmctrl?  I can't find anything wrong with it.  I did an install of Hyperbola 0.4 as a virtual machine with both wmctrl and jwm. I did not experience any issues. Maybe I was just lucky.  While my test was not really in in depth I did specifically tested the commands he listed as a problem. I tested those specific commands several times and with different windows and apps. The -a, -l and -lx arguments all worked fine.  -l and -lx list all windows on screen.  I tested with about 9 or 10 windows open for the test.

As said: No problem with comparing. smile But what I want is to assure that we need to find our ways for identifying errors and problems. I know that this is not easy, for sure not. Comparing can be full of traps and perhaps a little story from back testing is helping here: Hyperbola and our current mesa-stack can have problems with Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X4500MHD. The exactly problem is that every application using OpenGL is not functioning correct.

We have compared that with Debian and found there no further problem. The reasoning and result? A downgrade specific for mesa back as version 20.3.x have reported OpenGL-issues for those machines. But we have not added that for the stable repositories as this is not in line with essential versions on Debian. Is this a wrong decision? Depends, if there are more reports we have to do something. But nevertheless I mention this story and happening now for one essential thing: It was not easy to identify that issue and to find an individual solution, especially this was only in the eye because I had tried some games on a ThinkPad X200. It is a story about luck, a story about going different ways until finding a solution. But that is the point: The essential correct analysis for The issue is not present on Devuan! but why it is happening nevertheless on Hyperbola? And why it seems to be on that case now? When we find out this, we are a big step further ahead and I think all people reading here have learned a bit more about possible scenarios to solve problems with GNU/Linux and beyond.

The point I'm onto? Not only emancipation with our system here we have all created. Emancipation with every step and posting. wink
I hope that people read more and get that point. So the comparison can help, but needs more information and I'm happy that we are onto that.
Thank you and perhaps it can help to compare listings of installed packages? If there is some dependency missing?

14 (edited by JWMKit 2022-03-11 23:38:39)

@throgh

I fully understand what your saying.  Trust me I've dealt with the same type of thing a lot.  Maybe not with Hyperbola, but elsewhere.

I should of made it more obvious in my last post that the experience in the last paragraph was from an install of Hyperbola 0.4 and it works fine for me.  just wanted to mention it in case anyone missed that part in my ramblings.

Since It does work for me I'm finding it hard to track the issue any further.  It's kind of like when your vehicle decides to behave when you bring it to the mechanic.  (except I'm not much of a mechanic)

It could be that Xterm's problems are due to the package:

terminus-font

Can you give us here more insights and approval about? There is no problem to remove that package at once from the repositories. Nevertheless: It was listed from the community. Just to underline also the point: We need help with fixing problems and findiing solutions. If we cannot get help, we only have the option to remove selected packages when being identified as reason for malfunctioning.

Excuse me Throgh I have written in a hurry I have the same problems with
Liberation or Hack, nothing!  The truth is that the definition of Terminus in
Hyp 0.4 seems less than Hyp 0.3.1.

Another thing, in the Xresources define the font with this line:

-xos4-terminus-medium-r-normal-*-16-160-72-72-c-80-iso10646-1 

it does not work, I have to write it like that:

xft:xos4 Terminus:bold:size=13

I think something does not go well with the fonts in the Teminals,
I'm the only one in having problems?
Maybe my installation is too minimalist?
I lack some package?

Can you give us here more insights and approval about? There is no problem to remove that package

I am an old man, without Terminus I can not be more than 15 minutes in front of the monitor. ^_^

That sounds not good, perhaps this is nothing with fonts and a bit more generic problem. I hope I can come back with a solution or we can get a fix for something missed. smile

That sounds not good, perhaps this is nothing with fonts and a bit more generic problem. I hope I can come back with a solution or we can get a fix for something missed.

Thank you!

This is what I installed to have a WM

xenocara-server xenocara-video-intel xenocara-xinit xenocara-xinput
xenocara-setxkbmap xenocara-xev xenocara-xkill xenocara-xprop
xenocara-xrandr xenocara-xrdb xenocara-xsetroot
ratpoison rxvt-unicode terminus-font

Hmm, which WM do you use? And perhaps you can tryout tilda or sakura?

Hmm, which WM do you use?

Ratpoison

And perhaps you can tryout tilda or sakura?

A gtk terminal? I'm allergic to gtk terminal..sorry

urxvt with terminus bold wokrs well not with "medium"
I tried ST terminal but is the same.

So far I can't help for the moment. But can you provide me a tutorial how to handle fonts the way you do? Some source to read into is enough. I will try for sure to get more information.

This is my Xresources:

Xft.autohint                    : 0
Xft.lcdfilter                   : lcddefault
Xft.hintstyle                   : hintslight
Xft.hinting                     : 1
Xft.antialias                   : 1
Xft.rgba                        : rgb

URxvt*font                      : xft:xos4 Terminus:bold:size=13
URxvt.boldFont                  : xft:xos4 Terminus:bold:size=13

ERRATA CORRIGE --> terminus-font works well, it was a monitor problem

XTERM + GNU SCREEN
I have tried to modify the "etc/screenrc" file without results so I have uninstalled XTERM