Topic: [Hyperbola 0.4.1] Window-Manager pekwm

Hello,

as announced we will begin now adding with some possible candidates for window-managers to be added. The generic rule: Please make yourself comfortable to use makepkg at minimum and test the now following PKGBUILD with all components possible. When all is running good this thread is going to be closed and the candidate is either going to be added or is marked as not functional.

# Maintainer (Arch): Alexander F. Rødseth <xyproto@archlinux.org>
# Contributor (Arch): Kevin Piche <kevin@archlinux.org>
# Contributor (Arch): Eddie Lozon <almostlucky@attbi.com>
# Maintainer: Tobias Dausend <throgh@hyperbola.info>

pkgname=pekwm
pkgver=0.1.18
_debver=$pkgver
_debrel=1
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="Tabbed X11 window manager"
arch=('i686' 'x86_64')
license=('GPL-2')
url='https://github.com/pekdon/pekwm'
depends=('libjpeg-turbo' 'libxft' 'libxinerama' 'libxpm' 'libxrandr')
makedepends=('quilt')
optdepends=('lxappearance: feature-rich GTK+ theme switcher'
            'nitrogen: background browser and setter'
            'tint2: basic, good-looking task manager')
backup=('etc/pekwm/autoproperties'
        'etc/pekwm/autoproperties_typerules'
        'etc/pekwm/config'
        'etc/pekwm/config_system'
        'etc/pekwm/keys'
        'etc/pekwm/menu'
        'etc/pekwm/mouse'
        'etc/pekwm/mouse_click'
        'etc/pekwm/mouse_sloppy'
        'etc/pekwm/mouse_system'
        'etc/pekwm/start'
        'etc/pekwm/vars')
source=("https://github.com/${pkgname}/${pkgname}/releases/download/release-${pkgver}/${pkgname}-${pkgver}.tar.gz"
        "https://deb.debian.org/debian/pool/main/p/pekwm/pekwm_${_debver}-${_debrel}.debian.tar.xz")
sha512sums=('7fe04c04089d3375d1f64d456a7a582e88fd1f442c1c710bdef71309c7fe5aab234026ba381eb9a49b3d459b759924b577ba9597156e46e60147a9d84>
            '7f8d285b2725ee24b5fcefc1bacbb9b9738f58c19b49bafe40645e72f71f9ca1498a55185184f22906cbdfa404c626b8e7abc33406549af0b85ba8d36>

prepare() {
  cd $pkgname-$pkgver
  if [[ ${pkgver%.*} = ${_debver%.*} ]]; then
    # Debian patches
    export QUILT_PATCHES=debian/patches
    export QUILT_REFRESH_ARGS='-p ab --no-timestamps --no-index'
    export QUILT_DIFF_ARGS='--no-timestamps'

mv "$srcdir"/debian .

quilt push -av
  fi
  ./autogen.sh
}

build() {
  cd $pkgname-$pkgver
  ./configure \
    --prefix=/usr \
    --sysconfdir=/etc
  make
}

package() {
  make -C $pkgname-$pkgver DESTDIR="$pkgdir" install
  install -Dm644 "$srcdir"/$pkgname-$pkgver/debian/$pkgname.desktop "$pkgdir"/usr/share/xsessions/$pkgname.desktop
  install -Dm644 "$srcdir"/$pkgname-$pkgver/LICENSE -t "${pkgdir}/usr/share/licenses/$pkgname"
}

And yes: This is absolute serious meant. No tests will result in no going further with adding packages in that category. We need all together help and supporting each other is going faster for sure in the concurrent situation.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

Re: [Hyperbola 0.4.1] Window-Manager pekwm

Had anybody a chance to test this one and would be so kind give a feedback about pekwm? Thanks!

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

Never actually bothered to try out pekwm, but I suppose I could, if you would like, but I won't probably do so till tomorrow, getting late, doubt you will be on by the time I report test...

wink

Also, I might just go to sleep soon.

Anywho, email me, if I forget to report my findings, but I will probably remember tomorrow to test if I forget tonight. smile

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!

Okay, nevertheless this was a tryout for looking onto the interest of the community. I just want to remember again: The stable version is not the variant to test. For sure there maybe problems we need to fix, but we have therefore testing-repositories. We had also near 2 years working onto 0.4. It is not good to wait just for the next stable version and then go out for approval. You all have the chances to do this right now and help together.

throgh wrote:

Okay, nevertheless this was a tryout for looking onto the interest of the community. I just want to remember again: The stable version is not the variant to test. For sure there maybe problems we need to fix, but we have therefore testing-repositories. We had also near 2 years working onto 0.4. It is not good to wait just for the next stable version and then go out for approval. You all have the chances to do this right now and help together.

I tried this morning, but I think pekwm was removed from the repository before I could try...

The PKGBUILD is above: pekwm is not yet included within the repositories. This was another tryout bringing more reasonable tests into as we alone cannot do all of that in all variations and combinations.

7 (edited by zapper 2022-04-24 01:09:37)

throgh wrote:

The PKGBUILD is above: pekwm is not yet included within the repositories. This was another tryout bringing more reasonable tests into as we alone cannot do all of that in all variations and combinations.

It does work, with one huge exception, the terminal option via menu, doesnt work...

The good news though?

the run option will do any command for you, thus I was able to determine, that the problem was within the command that the menu was using, $TERM

instead of, sakura, or some other terminal emulator.

I didn't see any other notable issues beyond that though.

EDIT: I checked a second time, that is definitely the problem I think people were having...

wink

So yeah, its very simple, once pekwm is loaded, the terminal emulator option in menu from right clicking screen aka, above the option to run any command, is what I would think people on Hyperbola are getting annoyed about.

Aka, it doesn't select any terminal emulator, it picks a nonexistant one, for some reason...

Weird right?

Dunno why though...

wink

Again to repeat: Until now no one can get annoyed about anything as pekwm is under construction. Nothing was removed. smile
pekwm would be than a replacement for others not even starting. Here to read: https://forums.hyperbola.info/viewtopic … 4383#p4383

So it is starting and the terminal-emulator can be replaced. That sounds good!

throgh wrote:

Again to repeat: Until now no one can get annoyed about anything as pekwm is under construction. Nothing was removed. smile
pekwm would be than a replacement for others not even starting. Here to read: https://forums.hyperbola.info/viewtopic … 4383#p4383

So it is starting and the terminal-emulator can be replaced. That sounds good!

I wasn't aware about that regarding pekwm...

Seems my memory has been short lately.

Thread closed as this was a tryout to integrate the community more into testing. The corresponding window-manager will be integrated on the known way.