Topic: Trying to create custom Hyperbola iso

Hello there!
I am trying to create a custom iso file, however it always errors during the boot sequence:

:: Mounting '/dev/disk/by-label/' to '/'run/hyperiso/bootmnt
Waiting 30 seconds for device /dev/disk/by-label/ ...
ERROR: '/dev/disk/by-label/' device did not show up after 30 seconds...

it did not detect any disk label...
so i guess that i either need to get a proper label for the squashfs or get rid of that udev rule
i dont know how to add a label and i dont know how mkinitcpio decides which udev rules it will bake into the initramfs.img

the official iso looks like this:

:: Mounting '/dev/disk/by-label/HYPER_v04' to '/'run/hyperiso/bootmnt
:: Device '/dev/disk/by-label/HYPER_v04' mounted successfully.

Re: Trying to create custom Hyperbola iso

You need to provide more information about the changes you have made, so it is possible to reproduce the concrete scenario. Otherwise it is not possible to tell where the concrete problem lies.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

my goal is to make refractasnapshot (from devuan) compatible with hyperbola
i was using a very messy prototype to create that image
essentialy it boils down to copy the filesystem with rsync
use mksquashfs to compress that
and xorriso to create an iso file

my problem is the inital ramdisk
i used this command to build it:

mkinitcpio -c /usr/share/hyperiso/configs/releng/mkinitcpio.conf -k /boot/vmlinuz-linux-libre-lts -g /boot/new.img

when i extract it and search it for "by-label", i find this file lib/udev/rules.d/60-persistent-storage.rules

92 # by-label/by-uuid links (filesystem metadata)
 93 ENV{ID_FS_USAGE}=="filesystem|other|crypto", ENV{ID_FS_UUID_ENC}=="?*", SYMLINK+="disk/by-uuid/$env{ID_FS_UUID_ENC}"
 94 ENV{ID_FS_USAGE}=="filesystem|other", ENV{ID_FS_LABEL_ENC}=="?*", SYMLINK+="disk/by-label/$env{ID_FS_LABEL_ENC}"

You mean this Refracta here, correct? If so I can state that this is not possible: Hyperbola has removed all essential Linux-only frameworks and oriented toward a base UNIX-compatible concept. We don't support dbus, elogind, avahi and others as being not build into. So even if that essential first problem is solved: Hyperbola is not only without systemd as Devuan is oriented onto. We support INIT-freedom for sure and would be happy to have tryouts for more lightweight initi-helpers and frameworks. But nevertheless: Devuan GNU/Linux and Hyperbola GNU/Linux-libre have for sure different approaches and are not generic compatible.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

throgh wrote:

You mean this Refracta here, correct?

Not exactly, that is the distro made by the guy who wrote the refractasnapshot / refractainstaller scripts
those are shell scripts wich can be used to create a bootable iso from a devuan installation
and then install that iso to other machines or just use it as a live usb system
i have my own version where i added a menu system and threw everything into a single .sh file

i made some progress and it just spit out a bootable iso
but there is still a lot to do before i will publish the script

alphalpha wrote:
throgh wrote:

You mean this Refracta here, correct?

Not exactly, that is the distro made by the guy who wrote the refractasnapshot / refractainstaller scripts
those are shell scripts wich can be used to create a bootable iso from a devuan installation
and then install that iso to other machines or just use it as a live usb system
i have my own version where i added a menu system and threw everything into a single .sh file

i made some progress and it just spit out a bootable iso
but there is still a lot to do before i will publish the script

This raises a few questions for me,

What are the dependencies?
Will this be stable?
How much bloat?
Level of difficulty related to installation vs the command line interface?

But since you have a lot to do still, meh...

wink

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!

zapper wrote:

Will this be stable?
How much bloat?

Dependencies are syslinux, mkisolinux, squashfs-tools, util-linux, coreutils, xorriso and grub
Dont know how stable it will be when Hyperbola switches to bsd and whatever is planned, but i guess it will be good
bloat is a meme
it is still commandline, i didnt have time to test the installer yet, but the menu is intended to make it as simple as possible while still providing a lot of options

8 (edited by zapper 2022-06-07 02:34:04)

alphalpha wrote:
zapper wrote:

Will this be stable?
How much bloat?

Dependencies are syslinux, mkisolinux, squashfs-tools, util-linux, coreutils, xorriso and grub
Dont know how stable it will be when Hyperbola switches to bsd and whatever is planned, but i guess it will be good
bloat is a meme
it is still commandline, i didnt have time to test the installer yet, but the menu is intended to make it as simple as possible while still providing a lot of options

Actually, if you look up bloat, you should be able to find a few things in particular, windows, mac osx, chromeos, but also, everything from ubuntu, to freebsd...

My honest opinion, is simple:

Bloat is pretty much everywhere nowadays...

So... I guess it could be considered a meme if you look at it that way.

Hyperbola and OpenBSD are the only projects of their kind as far as I know that seem to go above and beyond for both, security, lack of bloat, without losing all but 1000 packages.

Kisslinux as far as I know, has less than that.

tongue

Yeah...

Anywho,  Hyperbola and OpenBSD are the only projects that come close to dealing with this issue properly without sacrificing almost everything.

Although, OpenBSD has some freedom issues for sure, but ironically enough,  its security is supposedly the best out there.  I think the GNU/Linux forumla could have worked in being the best, but there are a few problems...

Too much bloat = bugs are hard to deal with and find... see systemd for more info and other garbage like it...

Freedom is focused on the licenses, not the actual software or its purpose.

Aka, software freedom goes well beyond having proprietary mentions, uses or contrib crap...

There are other ways to cause problems beyond that.

Even if all the software is freely licensed, if the code is complex enough, then backwards compatibility that is lean and simple can be effectively pushed aside in favor of solutions to problems that don't exist or could be solved in a much more efficient way.

s6 init is a good example of this efficient way...

Also, that same backwards compatibility being lost is beyond insane when it has more stability, privacy/security when compared to the more complex one size fits all options.

Long story short, bloat code is horrible...

Its not a complex idea, 

if the code becomes to huge, no amount of eyes can find all the bugs that exist.

If the code is small enough however, you barely need ten eyes... maybe less depending on the situation.

wink

Two of those dependencies btw, I guarantee are gone in the BSD hard fork.

Maybe more?

Dunno... but definitely the linux related ones.

Btw when I said you should, that was operative, as in...

thats how it should be, doesn't mean it is...

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!