Topic: Connecting to websites takes too long

Hello, I am trying to install Hyperbola GNU/Linux-libre on my Lenovo Y50-70 laptop. I am using axagon usb ethernet adapter. When I boot the live usb stick and try ping -c 3 gnu.org I get the following output PING gnu.org(wildebeest1p.gnu.org (2001:470:142:5::116)) 56 data bytes

--- gnu.org ping statistics ---
3 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 2072ms
Loading website with the installation instructions via lynx takes 2 minutes 13 seconds. So far I tried manual network configuration in the installation instructions with no sucess. My ISP is UPC. Does anyone know what could cause this issue? I will regardless install the distribution and see if the problem persist.

Re: Connecting to websites takes too long

Hello and welcome in the forums, can you provide more information about the mentioned ethernet-adapter? I have found those: https://www.axagon.eu/de/produkty/ade-sr
Is this correct? Besides there is not mentioned the builtin chipset as wifi is for sure a persisting problem. We have support for Atheros AR7010 and AR9271 as those are known for providing free and libre support as chips. The first guess would be using a cable-connection.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

Thanks for your really quick reply. Yes, it's ADE-XA USB 2.0 fast ethernet https://axagon.eu/en/produkty/ade-xa I don't understand why wifi would be a problem when I'm connecting through ethernet cable using mentioned adapter. Even if I wanted to use built in network card I can't because it's broken. Anyway if there is no free driver for that adapter I will try to get one from this list if shipping won't be a problem https://wiki.hyperbola.info/doku.php?id … _migration

Bit cautious from my side for the following question: What graphics-adapter do you use? Especially when it comes towards to the x-server: You should be able to have a fine system with all you need for sure. smile The point about wifi is the chip being in use: When being perhaps an Intel-chipset wifi is not working. Same for the cable-connection.

What do you get with the following command:

ip a
Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

My graphics adapter should be Intel Corporation 4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 06). I ran lspci for that, don't know if it's detailed enough. I'm also surprised that for instance pacman downloads files as expected. This is the output of ip a:

1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN group default qlen 1000
    link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
    inet 127.0.0.1/8 brd 127.255.255.255 scope host lo
       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
    inet6 ::1/128 scope host 
2: enp9s0: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc fq_codel state DOWN group default qlen 1000
    link/ether f0:76:1c:b9:8e:10 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
3: enp0s20u1: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc fq_codel state UP group default qlen 1000
    link/ether 00:13:3b:a2:a2:04 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
    inet 192.168.0.108/24 brd 192.168.0.255 scope global noprefixroute enp0s20u1
    inet6 2a02:ab04:542:7800:7efb:f098:6819:3a34/128 scope global dynamic noprefixroute 
       valid_lft 1027753sec preferred_lft 453246sec
    inet6 2a02:ab04:542:7800:db5:7204:638d:89c0/64 scope global dynamic mngtmpaddr noprefixroute 
       valid_lft 1082100sec preferred_lft 477300sec
    inet6 fe80::6e16:cef7:c4b1:82c0/64 scope link 

It should be so far: With the concurrent information you would be able to execute a complete local system. Nevertheless it is only possible to guess why the connection is just that slow as enp0s20u1 has for sure a connection.