Re: How to setup desktop

Hello . It's good that we understood each other, I'm sure in the near future the search on the forum will work correctly for users.

As for my example, my question was related to the icons that are not displayed on the panel, well, I'll finish it now. This configuration file is an example in which there are examples of icons))

What needs to be done to display the icons?

format = "♪ %volume"

example ==> https://files.catbox.moe/was5vs.png

I also wanted to ask you what ethical service can be used so that the display is not in the form of a link, but in the form of an image?

As for the icons I have to pass for the moment as I don't use i3wm and don't want to lead on a false look therefore. But perhaps I find time later to look over it also. Nevertheless I will also ask rachad and Emulatorman as I know both are using i3wm.

For the image:

https://files.catbox.moe/was5vs.png

You can use the img-tag around! smile

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

78 (edited by anthk 2023-01-10 16:04:59)

throgh wrote:

Perhaps an idea for 0.4.3, could be part of the next meetup for a talk and conclusion. Not a bad idea in the end, this package can be developed in the git-repositories (team/software) and then released with concurrent dependencies.

I can say, that after setting up some modules on rc (fuse, zram, snd-mixer-oss for the mixer in fbpanel), openbox' autostart file and slim, a proper DE can be done in less than two weeks. The only missing component would be a session manager, but everything else has been tested to work well:

- Graphical login for Slim and a custom Hyperbola theme.

- Lxappearance+qtct+qt5-styleplugin+obconf for UI settings.

- Viewnior, Audacious on GTK mode and Celluloid for multimedia.

- l3afpad as a simple text editor.

- Laptop backlight keys with xbacklight or similar bound to Openbox keys for XF86. I can confirm it works,
you can gradualy scale up and down the brightness level with fn keys.

- Media automounting and showing up properly under spaceFM, allowing the user to umount them, thanks to udevil monitor.

- Wireless GUI with dhcpcd-gtk.

- Rootless suspend, poweroff and halt.

- Lock with slock, it's generic enough to work well everywhere, and suspend+lock with "slock & doas zzz" and /etc/doas.conf settings. Trivial to add as an item  in fbpanel.

- The branded theme could be Arc+the packaged Openbox theme for it, or Zukitre+OpenBox-Zukitre and some big icon theme (such as Delft) with a branded universal Hyperbola icon for the "software menu" in the panel.

Thanks for the modules mentioned, but some seems right over the top. Besides that we cannot provide directly any kind of user, just recommendations. So it would be possible to adjust parts of Lumina (as default environment) and add that kind of meta-package with further instructions through so-called ".install"-files.

So the compromise would be most that in combination. Also about icon-themes: Most of them contains non-free parts for example services like "Steam", "Spotify" and more. We do what we can, but we won't include for sure non-free data or recommendations for non-free services.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

80 (edited by anthk 2023-01-10 19:04:15)

Icons like that are found in Trisquel, too. At least in cryptic names, like acroread, or now semi-defunct software like OpenOffice, Emesene, WmWxxx, or AMSN. But they just happen to be there, stateless, they won't show up on menus visibily unless you browse /usr/share/icons/<subdir>/scalable/apps....

The most important thing would be to have an Hyperbola branded "start-here" compatible icon, universal enough, kinda like the mouse ones from XFCE, which are flat black and white and fit everywhere.

Again: It is not possible for us to include predefined icon-sets when they include symbols for non-free services. Also we don't provide pre-defined setups for the users and won't do that also. A meta-package is okay, but only for the packages itself and the dependencies being installed. The rest will be to include as notes when installed. Sorry, but when users await this is the wrong system. There will be always something to be done by hand. Personal I recommend not to compare, more to inspire from something and do then own parts. I hope that is okay and part to understand! smile

We don't care what others do most the time, because Hyperbola stands on its own and is not any kind of copy. When you look at many icon-sets (yes, we have done that also) those include non-free parts for services as mentioned. And we don't have the time to patch every icon-set being added. When the creators and maintainers from upstream think to add icons and symbols for non-free applications and services those are just not for us and are not included.

Some window-managers like icewm got special themes also being modified exactly for Hyperbola, including an own icon. But here again: This will take its time to be working. There is also the problem that we don't know what users are doing when installing a meta-package. I don't recommend doing some kind over-the-top-scripting, which is getting very fast very ugly and quircky. The users should know what they are doing, when they add groups for example. Yes, explanations and recommendations are not the point. But doing that within a package don't fits into the thought about technical emancipation. We won't add also the qt-styleplugins as it is not possible to bring them over with any Debian-patchset for now and need more work. In the end it would be only possible to do that meta-package with the full help of the community. Without that I'd say we don't start as this package will never fit into the taste and will create further discussions.

82 (edited by jimmy 2023-01-10 20:44:35)

Hello Throgh . Before answering, I once again wanted to clarify how you insert a photo or picture so that it is displayed here on the forum? This is much better than other services as they have a 30 day time limit on storage.

I see img I click and see
I need to insert the address of the image between img  https://upload..... img

Yes, but you need to insert the URL between the img-tag. I can only give this example:

[img]URL[/img]

Thank you very much for your help! It's elementary, but I just didn't notice))

I understand. At least, the community could create a meta-package for a skeleton libre-desktop would install a base with the panel, a file manager, and openbox, and not much more, being the rest suggested packages, such as the wireless tray icon, the automounting monitor, the theme manager (lxappearance) and, maybe, and just maybe, a meta theme for gtk and icons with Hyperbola branding. Reusing the existing Trisquel icons would be the easiest way.

I know hyperbola it's "do it yourself' for everything, but if Lumina gets maintained in the repos, that's because a cohesive DE it's demanded, and my approach it's almost an LXDE fork minus the session manager (and bloats like network-manager), doing dhcpcd the same roles.

A lot of bigger and actual forking tasks have been done for hyperbola, such as hypervideo.

BTW, I could hack a simple Hyperbola theme for Slim in seconds with ImageMagick. I know it's not needed for a desktop, but it adds branding for the project with very little.

I am not endorsing a single "official" DE for hyperbola with Slim as a DM, or being my project 'the' DE, but a setup that could be done as an example of modularisation for this, as in: install a, b, c, sightly tweak x, y, z, now you have an easy and *understandable* desktop.

https://wiki.hyperbola.info/doku.php?id … enviroment

For sure a big welcome for that: If you can get a slim-theme, we would for sure look into and be happy when possible to add. But is it possible to do it with "graphicsmagick" instead of "imagemagic"? The license of "imagemagick" makes it impossible for us to add anything from it.

And I have already reworked the roadmap for 0.4.3 but it needs its final okay from all members as we work for sure together. smile

throgh wrote:

For sure a big welcome for that: If you can get a slim-theme, we would for sure look into and be happy when possible to add. But is it possible to do it with "graphicsmagick" instead of "imagemagic"? The license of "imagemagick" makes it impossible for us to add anything from it.

And I have already reworked the roadmap for 0.4.3 but it needs its final okay from all members as we work for sure together. smile

Heh, don't make fun on me, but I was about to write "GraphicsMagick". Muscle memory, maybe. And I've been using "gm convert" for years, as it was faster.

What you see in the screenshot I opened in Hyperbola only in the main configuration file and the letters are displayed on the panel, but I would like the icons to be displayed on the panel.

https://files.catbox.moe/5x8geb.png

Not intended to make any fun, sorry for that. But yeah, for sure nice as proposal. No problem therefore to modify slim also with a original Hyperbola-theme.

EDIT: It seems those are not really icons but symbols coming from some kind of font being used. Which kind of font is unknown for me. But when this is shown directly within the configuration there are no real icons.

throgh wrote:

Not intended to make any fun, sorry for that. But yeah, for sure nice as proposal. No problem therefore to modify slim also with a original Hyperbola-theme.

EDIT: It seems those are not really icons but symbols coming from some kind of font being used. Which kind of font is unknown for me. But when this is shown directly within the configuration there are no real icons.

Maybe Powerline fonts.

You're right, they're symbols. If we are talking about the usual setting of i3-gaps in another distro (this is an example), then after installing ttf-font-awesome these symbols will be on the panel after the system is rebooted, this does not happen in Hyperbola. Visually, the characters looked better and more pleasing.

As noted: I just don't know i3wm. But it seems you need to assign the font into your configuration as it is not done automatically. From what I have seen now with a little search:

# Start i3bar to display a workspace bar (plus the system information i3status
# finds out, if available)
bar {
        status_command i3status
        strip_workspace_numbers yes
        font pango:Font Awesome 5 Brands Regular, Font Awesome 5 Brands Regular, 
        Font Awesome 5 Free Solid, Ubuntu:style=Regular
}

Just a guess, nothing concrete. But you should look over that for sure.

Thank you very much for your help, I will check and come back with an answer.

94 (edited by anthk 2023-01-11 01:19:29)

jimmy wrote:

You're right, they're symbols. If we are talking about the usual setting of i3-gaps in another distro (this is an example), then after installing ttf-font-awesome these symbols will be on the panel after the system is rebooted, this does not happen in Hyperbola. Visually, the characters looked better and more pleasing.

font-awesome is in the repo, maybe you have to run

fc-cache -frv 

as *non-root*.

95 (edited by anthk 2023-01-11 14:55:49)

BTW, on desktop environments, I am looking up for an alternative to type up in CJK languajes (Chinese/japanese/Korean) without depending on DBUS. uim+Anthy and some PKGBUIlDs for Parabola (being properly adapted for Hyperbola) would the trick, the rest requieres ibus and thus DBUS.

Debian has it, too, so the existing patches can be integrated.

https://packages.debian.org/sid/uim

Being able to type in non-Latin languages it's a must for any libre user.

So, uim, anthy, uim-gtk2/3, uim-qt5 and uim-anthy make up the minimal set (among environment variables) to type in Japanese, similarly uim-skk does the same for all the CJK language spectrum.

96 (edited by jimmy 2023-01-11 19:12:53)

Hello throgh . Please explain how the font change in hyperbola works?

command

showconsolefont

Couldn't get a file descriptor referring to the console

How do I set the font so that after the reboot it does not return to another (what is happening to me now)

How to reset the default font?

Anthk thanks for the advice . Clearing the cache is a good idea, but I'm currently trying to figure out how fonts work.

You may inform also here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Linux_console#Fonts

98 (edited by anthk 2023-01-11 21:27:24)

jimmy wrote:

Hello throgh . Please explain how the font change in hyperbola works?

command

showconsolefont

Couldn't get a file descriptor referring to the console

How do I set the font so that after the reboot it does not return to another (what is happening to me now)

How to reset the default font?

Anthk thanks for the advice . Clearing the cache is a good idea, but I'm currently trying to figure out how fonts work.

Where do you want to change the font? In the console (by pressing ctrl-alt-f1) or in the desktop? For gtk2/3 based software, you can use lxappearance. For Qt5, with qtct, you need to put

export QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME=qt5ct

in ~/.profile first For i3, in the config file.

For the tty console, edit /etc/conf.d/consolefont.

For instance, mine is set to

consolefont="ter-v22b" 

after installing terminus-font and running

doas rc-update add consolefont default

Anthk thanks for your answer. At this stage, I would like to understand why my symbols are not displayed on the panel and what font should be installed.

jimmy wrote:

Anthk thanks for your answer. At this stage, I would like to understand why my symbols are not displayed on the panel and what font should be installed.

run

fc-list |grep -i Awesome

What does it return?

Also, I'm having similar issues with bitmapped fonts under Xenocara. XFontsel doesn't
show up any font beyond a fixed iso-8859-1 one. I have all the Xenocara metapkg fonts
installed.