Topic: Pacman over P2P with Pacman2pacman

As Hyperbola it's an LTS release, with not as much packages as bigger distros, I suggest trying pacman2pacman.

https://wiki.parabola.nu/Pacman2pacman

The PKGBUILD requires gettext-tiny to be added as a dependency, sha256 sums and the systemd recommendation hints on the .install file removed. And the mentiones *.sig files for pacman db updates are not needed I think. Probably it could be easily adapted to Hyperbola's pacman.

The Bash script calls pacman to fetch the packages over Bittorrent with the aid of a locally running Transmission daemon. If the P2P daemon isn't able to fetch the packages because of a random reason, it falls back to HTTPS over a few seconds. That could help to reduce the strain on Hyperbola's HTTPS repos over time.

Re: Pacman over P2P with Pacman2pacman

If you see some possible usage for that, it would need just more efforts in time. For the moment hyperman (our pacman) needs work to run under OpenBSD 7.0 and therefore the base for HyperbolaBSD. So this should be the first priority before adapting more, I think.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

Well, pacman2pacman it's just a wrapper with Bash installing the downloaded pkgs from transmission-daemon:

https://wiki.parabola.nu/Pacman2pacman

Even though Hyperbola is not a big system, I personally don't see any usecase for that as P2P has its own flaws and problems. Besides that Hyperbola and hyperman are completely incompatible with the generic pacman and will step ahead from that.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

5 (edited by anthk 2023-01-20 20:01:29)

Well, it was to reduce the bandwidth load on the package mirrors a bit. As hyperbola is not a rolling release distro, installing and updating packages over P2P would be fine as the pkg list is not that big. Also, if some package can't be fetched over P2P, it defaults back to HTTPS.

Yes, understood for sure. But the generic problem would be to create a complete system for that. Also: P2P highly depends on the interest of people. No interest, no data in transfer. Falling back therefore, maybe. At the end it would need just more time to get that all running. I understand your effort and idea with in this for sure. Problem is nevertheless: The amount of time, the testing -purpose and more of the needed QA-tests while our main focus is for sure HyperbolaBSD in generic.

Perhaps this is one idea for later? smile

Yes, I understand, that's because pacman4pacman itself defaults back to HTTPS over some seconds. But it can be a good way to cut down a good chunk of connections over commonly fetched packages, such as xenocara* or the ones depending on base-devel.

An idea is an idea. No problem and perhaps looking into as soon possible, together.