Topic: I found out about an ad-killer...

But! it only currently supports systemd and sysvinit.

The good news though is that it apparently is possible to make it work in openrc as well.

So likely it could be put on others as well.

It's called pi-hole.

I looked at it and the license is the only thing I am unsure of...

EUPL2 I think?

Well and the fact that a porting of the init scripts from sysvinit to openrc would be needed.

I don't know if this is pressing right now, but regardless, wondering if it is BSD portable, if not, it probably is of no importance anyhow.

But yeah, anyone who knows of an alternative for both now and HyperbolaBSD, let me know.

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!

Re: I found out about an ad-killer...

Privoxy for sure

auanta wrote:

Privoxy for sure

How do you set it up to block ads that are very problematic, such as cosmetic ones?

What are those "cosmetic ones"? In general: All advertisements would have an URL coming from, so you can lock them out through the local configuration within privoxy - generic assumption. When a website is hosting that advertisement itself, this is some kind more advanced but also possible. You won't need something like pi-hole being so much complicated and not willing to adapt to other system-management than systemd.

At best you read through the documentation: https://www.privoxy.org/user-manual/index.html

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

5 (edited by zapper 2023-03-13 21:46:20)

throgh wrote:

What are those "cosmetic ones"? In general: All advertisements would have an URL coming from, so you can lock them out through the local configuration within privoxy - generic assumption. When a website is hosting that advertisement itself, this is some kind more advanced but also possible. You won't need something like pi-hole being so much complicated and not willing to adapt to other system-management than systemd.

At best you read through the documentation: https://www.privoxy.org/user-manual/index.html

That's good to know, does tblock work as well for this solution?

I want to be able to block stuff on the level of irriation of google analytics and other similar irritations.

If not, I am not sure what a good privoxy configuration would be for me.

That is not easy to compare as both solutions can help n different scenarios. All in all to say: The more tools to use the more problems may occur as privoxy is used directly within the browser for example and block direct with possible cause of irritations. The more websites get complex the more it is from my understanding not useful to go against that and just ignore that blocking them direct out on the system-level instead of any proxy to be used.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

throgh wrote:

That is not easy to compare as both solutions can help n different scenarios. All in all to say: The more tools to use the more problems may occur as privoxy is used directly within the browser for example and block direct with possible cause of irritations. The more websites get complex the more it is from my understanding not useful to go against that and just ignore that blocking them direct out on the system-level instead of any proxy to be used.

Good to know, I agree.

One issue with pi-hole, is their encouragement / instructions within their documentation to use DoH, with cloudflare:

https://docs.pi-hole.net/guides/dns/cloudflared/

From my perspective, sending all of your DNS via cloudflare servers in the US is a bigger problem than some ads.

privoxy seems like a better option, but it's years since I've touched it.  I'm conscious of any extreme script / ad blocking, only making fingerpring easier.

blackhole wrote:

One issue with pi-hole, is their encouragement / instructions within their documentation to use DoH, with cloudflare:

https://docs.pi-hole.net/guides/dns/cloudflared/

From my perspective, sending all of your DNS via cloudflare servers in the US is a bigger problem than some ads.

privoxy seems like a better option, but it's years since I've touched it.  I'm conscious of any extreme script / ad blocking, only making fingerpring easier.

Trust cloudflare for security is exactly like trusting microsoft for your security... sure if you like getting malware every 2 years or so.

Avoiding it however, requires ditching garbage like cloudflare.

I had not known that they had documenation like that.

Thanks for the tip. I wish I could figure out how to set up cryptostorm properly with dnscrypt + wireguard.

Tried many times, failure many times.

Wonder if wireguard works again on Hyperbola, or if I am just missing something again.

Hm...

wink

Would be nice to have a guide like that tho.

But yeah, thanks for the info on pi-hole. That's a good reason to steer clear of it.