Topic: For HyperbolaBSD, regarding compilers,

I recall hearing you can compile clang on OpenBSD without gcc.

Aka, they don't use gcc in clang I believe.

If its possible, wouldn't it be good to do the same?

Less bloat would be possible this way anyhow. big_smile

Just an opinion

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!

Re: For HyperbolaBSD, regarding compilers,

That is nothing about "bloat" as gcc and llvm / clang are used for different reasons. The kernel for HyperbolaBSD is especially ported towards a newer GCC-version in usage with Hyperbola GNU/Linux-libre and therefore much more oriented on modern implementations. OpenBSD is using an older GCC-version because of their own strict way towards GPL. But in general BOTH compilers are there also. When it comes to ports you will need them! And as we have also ports in other ways later (extra-repository) there is no "bloat".

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

OpenBSD has had the full llvm/clang source within base for quite a few years now, since it became the base compiler, so yes it's possible to build the whole base system including llvm/clang from source. clang is a replacement for gcc.

Ironically the whole llvm source is far larger and take much longer to compile than OpenBSD itself.

throgh wrote:

That is nothing about "bloat" as gcc and llvm / clang are used for different reasons. The kernel for HyperbolaBSD is especially ported towards a newer GCC-version in usage with Hyperbola GNU/Linux-libre and therefore much more oriented on modern implementations. OpenBSD is using an older GCC-version because of their own strict way towards GPL. But in general BOTH compilers are there also. When it comes to ports you will need them! And as we have also ports in other ways later (extra-repository) there is no "bloat".

That is odd, I thought they just did clang directly.

Hmm... well if false, ignore my comment. I had thought it was done otherwise.

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!