Topic: Xorg failure!

Hello,

Can anyone help me with this? When I run the startx command, it generates that Xorg output, failing to enter the desktop environment,

https://i.postimg.cc/sXxq81St/Xorg.png

Re: Xorg failure!

Can you please provide more information about your current hardware-configuration?
In detail the graphicscard in usage is interesting.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

3 (edited by Alfo 2023-04-06 16:59:12)

Any commands that provide more information?  The system is running on a kvm/qemu virtualized machine.

What do you mean with "provide more information"?
You can enumerate the graphicscard for example with:

lspci | grep VGA
Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

5 (edited by Alfo 2023-04-06 17:07:02)

# lspci | grep VGA

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Red Hat, Inc, QXL paravirtual graphic card (rev 05)

#

Perhaps you are missing a current driver?
You can try this here at minimum:

doas pacman -S xenocara-video-vesa

Also to know: Your user should be member in the following groups at minimum:

users
audio
video
sys
storage
optical
wheel
power

7 (edited by Alfo 2023-04-06 17:26:53)

I did add it this way:

# usermod -aG users name

# id

uid=0(root) gid=0(root) groups=0(root),1(bin),2(daemon),3(sys),4(adm),6(disk),10(wheel),19(log)

#

You should never use root and create an own user first.

useradd -g users -m -s /bin/bash [USERNAME]

I did that before giving permissions to the above.

Okay, when using a VM you should foremost only be able to use the vesa-driver at minimum. You can use either startx or do that via slim.

doas rc-update add slim default

For executing slim direct at startup.

I keep getting the same xorg error neutral

Then you can try to install the whole group:

doas pacman -S xenocara-video

Inside the Xorg.0.log  file  details that of the image:

https://imgur.com/QC5Mr5X.png

Have you installed the driver-package as mentioned above?
I mostly not use virtualized environments with graphical interfaces and the x-server, so I don't know which driver is fitting here.

15 (edited by Alfo 2023-04-06 18:31:06)

Yes, if you have installed the graphics driver   xenocara-video-vesa, when trying to install the xenocara-video driver, it will conflict with the previous driver, so xenocara-video will not be installed.  BSD is rife with these xorg bugs,

Note:
In view of the fact that there is no solution for this Xorg bug, it looks like I am going to reinstall the system from scratch.  mad

You can just remove the driver installed before solving that problem and then reinstall the whole package.

And how to remove the installed drivers?

Command:

doas pacman -R xenocara-video-vesa

can you confirm that your command was :

startx /usr/bin/lumina-desktop

Friends, I managed to solve the Xorg issue by reinstalling the system. In what I've been testing, there is no sound in the system, I installed the alsa server, but nothing.

Problems on that part cannot be solved here in the forums as they would end up in writing endless threads. Please try the following to find an own working solution:

1. Enumerate on your system which kind of possible sound-output is there. Therefore the question is relevant: Is this a real system or a virtualized solution?
2. Please remember that Hyperbola is mainly supporting sndio so you should verify if there is a generic sound-output given or you have a complex solution with more possible devices like HDMI-generated.
3. Verify that alsasound and sndiod are running at the default-level minimum for services with OpenRC.

All in all you need to find a solution here for your current hardware-setup as we have made the experience that finding here a concrete point won't fit the needs. I hope you understand that as this question is also no longer related towards problems with the x-server. Further reading for helping: https://forums.hyperbola.info/viewtopic.php?id=790

@alfo rc-update alsasound default && rc-service alsasound start

The 2nd one you do only until you reboot.
btw, console-tdm is also an option if startx doesn't work or if you don't want it, for future reference.

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!

Thanks, I have also been observing that the system cannot mount the external devices automatically because it does not detect them. The packages that autodetect are these gvfs and mpt-tools and it is not present in this system. What alternative is there for those packages? On the other hand it is annoying that the applications or dependencies that are installed automatically generate direct access to the lumina desktop environment, I don't even know how to deactivate it so that it does not generate direct accesses.

The annoying screen brightness that does not detect lumina to reduce and do not fuck the eyes, I do not know how to make a script so that by default at system startup detects the brightness and lower it automatically.

24 (edited by anthk 2023-04-10 08:13:54)

Install udevil and file managers such as spacefm or zzzfm will be able to get automounted media.

On MTP media, there's android-file-transfer.

On the screen brightness, there's 'xbacklight', you might be able to set it ~/.fluxbox/autostart with a line like this
at the end:

xbacklight -set 40

why can't xdm be used instead of slim?