Topic: Why NOT to use non-free platforms?

Just want to leave a link about why it is for sure a good idea not to make more use of non-free platforms - likewise YouTube, Github and many more.
In the concrete example it is YouTube: https://github.com/iv-org/invidious/issues/3872

This is also a point why we have taken down hypervideo and removed it complete from our packages, sidewise won't offer anything more in this direction. Google / Alphabet and many others only pretend to support free and libre software. The fact is: They only support what is for use on their own purpose, everything else is either ignored at best or - as in this case - threatened. Other examples are again youtube-dl (as "streamripper"). "Open-Source" is just a nice wording, but in fact a toxic and foul compromise. Free software should better not try to bother more with non-free services and platforms, not even integrating that. And yes: If it means we have to completely ignore that, we should also not use it.

Better to have a nice working operating-system instead of trying to rebel in a form. For what purpose exactly? Just to show those so-called "big companies" what one is capable? Come on, that energy is better to be used elsewhere.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

2 (edited by ConstantMotion 2023-06-10 15:13:07)

Re: Why NOT to use non-free platforms?

Exactly.

The point is this:
When you take a look around you'll notice: All through society there are 'bad games'.
Just for illustration - imagine we play a game which goes like this:
Either, I cut your left hand off, or I cut your right leg off - what do you choose?
That's a 'bad game', a set up made in a way, that you can only loose. Or like a soccer field tilted against you.
The best one can do: Saying 'No' to such a 'bad game' entirely and instead of playing it starting to build a new game, aside of it, a fair and constructive one - often the opposite of the 'bad game' - and playing that new, self-made 'good game' instead.

In this case: Developing and supporting libre, anonymous & p2p video platforms with streaming capability.
ZeroNet has ZeroTube. GNUnet certainly also has something in store, and if not, help developing it!

End note - nice to know - other 'bad games' in society:
• Money
• Current education system
• Parliamentarism
• Job market
• Disastrous Copylaw
• Mainstream media

Common denominator:
All are sharing the same basis: The bad value 'greed' - the opposite of compassion.

If open source is bloat, then absolutely I agree it is toxic.

Though some "open source software" isn't bloat, so... depends.

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!

Please avoid naming like "mainstream media" as there is everything possible to be named like that. But in fact: There is a difference between "free and libre software" and "open-source software" as "open-source" has NOT to be "free and libre", but "free and libre" includes for sure also "free and libre code".

So "mainstream media" is not a problem, same for "parlamentarism" ... when there is no greed. But as there is greed within in us all, we need to reflect us all. wink Democracy includes for sure many, also "mainstream thoughts and actions". That's not bad. Bad is when there is nothing left, no freedom of choice and people call the "mainstream" out for being responsible. That's not the point and we should stay focussed: A system-base preserved like Hyperbola is our goal. And again we should neither care nor include platforms only giving the illusion of "open" or "loving open-source". As "open-source" is a failed tryout.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

throgh wrote:

Please avoid naming like "mainstream media" as there is everything possible to be named like that. But in fact: There is a difference between "free and libre software" and "open-source software" as "open-source" has NOT to be "free and libre", but "free and libre" includes for sure also "free and libre code".

Naming? What do you mean by that?

Do you mean toxic? Bloat?

:s

Oh no, I meant just "mainstream media" as this ia very vague term, too generic and not the point. smile
Sure thing that everybody have a different perspective, but the overall problem is not just one essential named detail. And same as those non-free services are not per defintion "evil" or "bad". The problem is within all around, as we all are part of it.

A further interesting insight: https://blog.thefrenchghosty.me/posts/im-not-invidious/

Society is in fact a good point: Please let us not generalize. A society is a good thing for sure as we humans cannot be without each other. But our social values break into pieces nowadays and that's just because too few of us look for each other.

7 (edited by nparafe 2023-06-11 14:56:12)

throgh wrote:

....But our social values break into pieces nowadays and that's just because too few of us look for each other.

There is the matter of choice, but there is also the dominant social construct in which we now live. I find myself wondering which is the most critical. Is it us people not interested or without solidarity, or does the construct (meaning the social-economical status quo) have succeeded in making it extremely difficult for us?

Usually I tend to blame the ones that have more power and control. In the case of YouTube, Facebook, etc, I believe that they are the ones that we need to criticise way more than the users of those platforms.

Having said that, I also believe that if we, the free software activists who try to understand and expose the full depth of the asymmetric control that these platforms have to manipulate humanity, we also use this platforms, even in order to show that they are bad for democracy, we somehow make them more legit. People will say, look, even free software people use YouTube so there isn’t an alternative.

And this is not only a thing in technology. This is also true for human rights, politics, climate activists etc.

Some people say, there is no time. We need to act now and use all the means we have, mass media, twitter etc. I can see their point and so I try not to judge them. They do the way they feel and I do they I feel. Maybe both paths can cross somehow someday...?

let them build as many prisons as they want.
Even if the siege is closing in around us.
Our mind is like a wanderer, and will always be free.

Perhaps, especially about that point "crossing paths". But from my own experience as I have started back in 2012 with Diaspora usage: Much has changed and I have left those platforms long ago for good, because I have seen there is no further difference. Both kind (free or / and non-free) play th "attention"-game. The more attention anything gets, the more it is used for getting the famous 5 minutes of attention every being seems to seek within those platforms. The debates I have seen long ago when starting are long vanished for being right away shortened. The feeling to miss something is strong these days, so people have reduced their own attention towards only seconds left instead to bother with complex problems not possible to solve in some minor posting or blinking video with nice phrasing. And at that point I criticize the whole spectrum: Anyone is able to recognize that with some time to think about.

Also: It is not possible to divide political positions from any kind of free and libre culture. Without the essential will to offer something for the freedom and better use of others, we would have no "free and libre software", no "free and libre culture". Making use of the will to simulate neutrality will always end up in chaos and problems. Positioning for a good working society based on empathy and solidarity should be nothing "bad". And "neutral" defined on that level is not possible as I would then underline that people meaning to be neutral AND engage within free software are most oriented on their own greater good and advantage. And with this there cannot be a future. wink

9 (edited by ConstantMotion 2023-06-12 20:50:21)

@nparafe: Your post is tasty *logging in for replying*

nparafe wrote:
throgh wrote:

....But our social values break into pieces nowadays and that's just because too few of us look for each other.

There is the matter of choice, but there is also the dominant social construct in which we now live. I find myself wondering which is the most critical. Is it us people not interested or without solidarity, or does the construct (meaning the social-economical status quo) have succeeded in making it extremely difficult for us?

On root level, there is just one question: Greed or compassion. Everything else is just a spin-off of this struggle between these opposing forces. And we humans are just play balls between them.
Egoism puts you into the center, solidarity puts us into the center - not just you. People in ego-mode, that's just the consequence of greed putting so much pressure on them in multiple ways, that their basic stress level is high. And that changes stuff in our brain for the bad, infects us with greed.
Currently, greed - the root of all evil - has the upper hand in society; that's why most defaults are bad.
Switching a default from bad to good, that is a crucial step for team compassion, but no default stripes
off responsibility off every single one of us.
At the end of the day, we build up the world with every single detail of our lifestyle and have freedom of choice.
The people here have gathered, because in dealing with computers they've deliberately chosen, want more libre computing.

nparafe wrote:

Usually I tend to blame the ones that have more power and control. In the case of YouTube, Facebook, etc, I believe that they are the ones that we need to criticise way more than the users of those platforms.

Having said that, I also believe that if we, the free software activists who try to understand and expose the full depth of the asymmetric control that these platforms have to manipulate humanity, we also use this platforms, even in order to show that they are bad for democracy, we somehow make them more legit. People will say, look, even free software people use YouTube so there isn’t an alternative.

And this is not only a thing in technology. This is also true for human rights, politics, climate activists etc.

Exactly! The law of attention in full swing. Or as Friedrich Nietzsche put it in words: 'The deeper you look into the abyss, the deeper the abyss looks into you.'
Whatever we focus our attention on, will get stronger. That's why Trump got president - his biggest competition, Hilary Clinton, was his biggest cheerleader, leaving out no opportunity to talk about Trump extensively.
That's why we libre computing advocates are well-adviced to build up our own game, reconstructing our broken digital world by a fully new model, the 'libre variation'. Focus on the good, and the good gets stronger; focus on the bad, and the bad gets stronger.
That's one of the reasons why net politics activists are constantly loosing: They are always defending against the bad, reacting to the bad, but completely fail in building up the good they want to see on its own. Instead of being the change they want to see they make their very existence depend on the bad just as 'anti-capitalists' do. What do 'anti-capitalists' do, when there existence corner stone 'capitalism' breaks away? What are they then? What have they then?

FSF - it has done a lot good. But it also focuses too much on the bad meanwhile. Going well beyond simply focusing on the bad for explaining the situation.

nparafe wrote:

Some people say, there is no time. We need to act now and use all the means we have, mass media, twitter etc. I can see their point and so I try not to judge them. They do the way they feel and I do they I feel. Maybe both paths can cross somehow someday...?

It's tricky. I see your point. To a certain degree, indeed, the main thing is, that we do anything for the better, using all means at hand. That's a key ingredient for accessibility of our endeavor. But on the other had basically applies: The more conclusive, logical consistent we act, the more efficient we work towards our goal - here in this case of a libre digital world.
But the more we do it,  the more we make ourselves hard to access for average people - in our case by becoming very tech-savy, building up a digital divide.
Finally, the solution, the reconcillation probably is the path FSF hit recently:
'Freedom Ladder'
Democratizing the personal journey of becoming a libre computing activist in the long run over a lot of small stepping stones, gradually, recognizing that noone of us fell of the sky as a Richard Stallman, encouraging development. Not letting 'good' be the enemy of 'better'.

To swing more into the point: Using Youtube for getting people away from Youtube? Yes, that's constructive, but let's also make sure, mirror our content, on a libre platform and set soft incentives on Youtube to rather chose to use this libre platform for accessing our content. That set up is open, no echo chamber, but at the same time triggering a stream to the better - among others a better default.

Undertone: Yes, free/libre computing activism, animal rights, human rights, climate activism - all that and similar stuff shares the same basis: Compassion. Is one team: 'Team compassion'. And the more we understand that and play together by living compassion consecutively, logically consistent in this universal, broad sense, the stronger we get.
2 examples: Placing net politics flyers on an animal rights info booth, and placing animal rights flyers on a hacker space - that makes totally sense.
This cross-section event 'Bits and Bäume' - 'Bits and Trees', a meet up of net politics community and climate activism community, talking with each other, figuring out to work together, that totally makes sense.

Well, about the phrase "anti-capitalists" ... I guess not being any longer "anti-capitalist"? But in fact I see it just as attribute, would not use that elsewhere also as most anti-capitalistic criticism is quite too shortened and leaving out that all is done by us all as we are all part, same way as "greed" is a concept everyone can have. To recognize going against that starts and ends always with myself, as self-reflection is a daily task when we want to change anything. Therefore also: The FSF has failed many points in the younger past, even though they did things right back the time. Problem is for example: PureOS is NOT a free and libre system and many more try just to remove parts, keeping the rest without self-reflection.

That's more or less functional for a time, but keeps the door open as likewise an invitation for unwanted actions coming back again (companies and more) misusing the essential values and principles.

Oh yes! You're so right about FSF & Pure OS!
If you ask me, they have taken Pure OS up in the first place just to have movement and development in their list of fully free operating systems, which hasn't changed for years and seemed pretty dormant up to that extension.
You know the saying - probably by Confuzius - 'Who doesn't correct a mistake, does another one.' ?
Based on that, FSF is well-adviced to remove Pure OS from their list of fully free operating systems.

Thank you, it was a pleasure reading your replies.

ConstantMotion wrote:

That's one of the reasons why net politics activists are constantly losing: They are always defending against the bad, reacting to the bad, but completely fail in building up the good they want to see on its own. Instead of being the change they want to see they make their very existence depend on the bad just as 'anti-capitalists' do. What do 'anti-capitalists' do, when there existence corner stone 'capitalism' breaks away? What are they then? What have they then?

throgh wrote:

Well, about the phrase "anti-capitalists" ... I guess not being any longer "anti-capitalist"? But in fact I see it just as attribute, would not use that elsewhere also as most anti-capitalistic criticism is quite too shortened and leaving out that all is done by us all as we are all part, same way as "greed" is a concept everyone can have. To recognize going against that starts and ends always with myself, as self-reflection is a daily task when we want to change anything.

You are both so right in this! Although we all need somewhere to start, the problem is not going deeper. For a young person, for example, who is starting to try to understand how the world is shaping, it is good to oppose the system. Many people in fact are making this step. The crucial though is, like you both said, to bring yourself in the center of the changing process and organise your life, your attitude in your workplace, your relationships and your family with the knowledge and belief that your every day actions, good or bad, are the ones that are shaping this world.

ConstantMotion wrote:

But the more we do it,  the more we make ourselves hard to access for average people - in our case by becoming very tech-savy, building up a digital divide.

This will always going to be a very thin line. It is also a personal concern of mine. But, like all things in life, commitment is the key. No matter how “easy” the “open source” groups have made it, OSes like Ubuntu, are still being used only by a small minority compared to the mainstream ones. Even those, will never be as easy and “just works” as the ones from big tech. We need to transform society in many levels before this transition is going to happen.
That is why I believe that it is better to stick in your principles BUT (and that is a HUGE but) in the same tame we need to keep the “digital divide” away. This for example may include things like providing assistance even to the most novice users who are trying to liberate themselves or to give people clear instructions how to do it.

ConstantMotion wrote:

To swing more into the point: Using Youtube for getting people away from Youtube? Yes, that's constructive, but let's also make sure, mirror our content, on a libre platform and set soft incentives on Youtube to rather chose to use this libre platform for accessing our content. That set up is open, no echo chamber, but at the same time triggering a stream to the better - among others a better default.

I don’t know... I feel that if you are trying to balance between a libre platform and a commercial one, then the bigger audience and the financial benefits will, in the end, drive the creator to accept more and more compromises, even if at the beginning her/his intentions was pure.

ConstantMotion wrote:

This cross-section event 'Bits and Bäume' - 'Bits and Trees', a meet up of net politics community and climate activism community, talking with each other, figuring out to work together, that totally makes sense.

YES! Never going single issue about anything. Not science, nor computing or politics. I do not care if a team makes the best and most libre operating system and in the same time support nazi ideas for example. To liberate society means to liberate in every aspect, race, religion, love, freedom, safety and true democracy. I find hyperbola’s team most advanced in this subject than many others.

throgh wrote:

The FSF has failed many points in the younger past, even though they did things right back the time.

ConstantMotion wrote:

Finally, the solution, the reconcillation probably is the path FSF hit recently:
'Freedom Ladder'
Democratizing the personal journey of becoming a libre computing activist in the long run over a lot of small stepping stones, gradually, recognizing that noone of us fell of the sky as a Richard Stallman, encouraging development. Not letting 'good' be the enemy of 'better'.

ConstantMotion wrote:

You know the saying - probably by Confuzius - 'Who doesn't correct a mistake, does another one.' ?
Based on that, FSF is well-adviced to remove Pure OS from their list of fully free operating systems.

I believe that FSF is, for the most part, on our side. I defend them with all my power when corporate open source or mainstream you tubers criticise them for being “too conservative”. “closed minded” or “not wanting to change”. Like you I have many things I disagree with fsf, but in the end they, and most notable RMS, have shown great resilience in the corporate world until now.

This has been an exhaustive post for me, and I fear more exhausting for you reading it. I am sorry, but I found many interesting topics which I love discussing about.

Oh, about the part to disagree with the FSF: I would have many more, on the core-side I think they don't mean it harmful. The result is nevertheless questionable nowadays, but not meant in regards of something "pure", more just to recognize the context of a problem itself. So is military helpful? Depends, personal stated I would really love peace. But on the other side I recognize also that there are people and groups out there not being at minimum interested in freedom and peace. So even if I go with pacifism I have to recognize that not all is solved with words and discussions, as hard I see it I hope we can get a turning-point. For the better, for another vision living together. But this gets us back to the point of "greed", because one day - I hope - we all can see that "money" is nothing to eat as we are all guests on this nice blue planet, all beings for sure. wink

And I know how this sounds to make "peace" with "weapons": Therefore I would have found it better the FSF had never stated such like you have linked and kept the head outside of this, same with talking about and with "corporations".

14 (edited by nparafe 2023-06-14 06:58:52)

throgh wrote:

But on the other side I recognize also that there are people and groups out there not being at minimum interested in freedom and peace. So even if I go with pacifism I have to recognize that not all is solved with words and discussions, as hard I see it I hope we can get a turning-point

US Army is not just another army though... It is the single greatest imperialist force in the world and the one that organize and participate in every military conflict around the globe. I find the article I linked to, to be a huge flaw of fsf.

Please let us focus and stay at the point that the FSF should have stayed the same out of making cheap articles like that. I think that's the bare minimum we can call it for sure as everything else tend to be a wide longer, deeper and more out of bounds discussion. Sure thing: Interesting - for me speaking - but I think also about the readers outside not attending, even if this area is "General" marked. wink

Otherwise we would need to reflect about wide more, even movies and digital other media (like games). So this why I have chosen "out of bounds". Not to disrespect your posting and you, but to let us focus at the generic point itself. Yes, there are many details within, but I think this would lead to a thread only some people could attend into and the rest left out reading.

nparafe wrote:

This has been an exhaustive post for me, and I fear more exhausting for you reading it. I am sorry, but I found many interesting topics which I love discussing about.

No, it was a delight. Thank you.
Also, for your link behind the many things you disagree with FSF,.
In general, also I consider FSF to be on our side and valuable - clearly - it's just that they got a bit clumsy in doing so. Another example? Look, how outdated that is: 2018, 2019, 2020 and 2021 still not published.
They could be much, much more efficient. For me, FSF shines when FSF sends RMS on a journey around the globe for educating people about Free/libre Software and how it's a social justice issue with nothing less at stake than self-determination of all of us within our digitalized world;
our digital technology: Wings or chains?

But when the whole "free, libre software"-movement makes itself depending on just some individuals and their names - just to remember that no one is "perfect" in the whole definition - it is also more than just "vulnerable". Technical emancipation begins at everyone owns will for doing so, while there needs to be projects offering also the tools for doing so. If we sit beneath, wait for some people giving us the next release or don't support projects with the will doing something different we will have in a short time only some names left, only some projects there and those are getting themselves to some "monoliths" while just to pretending to be some system-distribution. In fact they also rely on more too big projects, which are - and that's the essential point - also very fast taken over. The always used argument to "just fork when no longer working" is no longer valid for big ones outside as they unite too much functionalities in combination with too much complexity.

The FSF and also many named individuals fail to recognize this or when brought into ignore the criticism in a whole.

That is so true, throgh!

That's why this applies:
'Extremely precious idea to the benefit of all? Democratize!'

The most valuable ideas, knowledge and life lessons for improving the world must be democratized.

Otherwise:
• One is a single-point-of-failure:
If one dies, said precious idea dies with one.
If someone wants to erase said precious idea, that gives reason to kill said single person.
• A lot of potential for impact is left on the table:
1 Person, putting said idea into action = good
A multitude of persons, putting said idea into action = much better

So, its crucial to make said idea common knowledge and usage in society.
Or topologically speaking and with alluding to file sharing:
Center, pyramide = Bad
De-centralization = Not good enough
Distribution, mesh network = Best

And, conclusively, swinging back in to FSF:
1.: Freedom ladder FTW!
2. - 9.: See 1. - because essentially it's about taking a look in the mirror and being the change on wants to see, becoming active and independent, not being a passive spectator or just another coach on the side line, who just says what others should do, but stepping onto the playing field oneself, joining the game.
10.: FSF's front runner set up needs to be broadened - or we should clone RMS for a couple of million times? What do you think? wink

Again to remember that I don't think we should debate on those levels and I don't want to debate for sure on those: The reasoning is therefore, that I'm not okay with the picture dealt with. For sure humans may and can do hateful things and disgusting deeds. But the original message is and was:

When the "free software"-movement is bound only on individual names instead of ideas, it is made vulnerable for itself as nobody is perfect and people should be seen as themselves.

One person is not always perfect and a person should be also getting valid criticism. Instead we often find meritocratic structures likewise the more one person is doing and more binding the project, the more rights are there and the more this individual is drawn back from being criticized. In fact it goes the opposite direction. But this locks also this person in a kind of echo-chamber, where no further self-reflection is at a point possible and others just follow all words said and jump on every criticism for defending reactions. That's the point and please let us keep it just there.

What I have written in the first part of this posting brought now to the full closure: I don't want to deal with that kind of picture of us, because it takes just the negativity. How do we want to build another culture, when we only deal with such? Knowing about hatred, harassment and more is one thing, but another to go against with the clear point of values and principles for inclusion and diversity, solidarity and empathy. If we don't make that, we can already stop building alternative structures and ideas as we have not outspoken but clearly given up. I don't have given up and I don't think anyone here has that also! So let's keep it up with clear criticism, instead of thinking how bad people / groups / else would do stopping something. smile Our history is full with that, learning that is one point, but another if we only debate about it and be sure: Done that multiple times. One example I can name was once back the days in 2012 on Diaspora, the discussions were endless long, full with interesting points first. But the more discussions, the more people got tired, blended up and out, the more negative the environment got, the more shorten the activity was. The end? Well to be seen today as those alternatives are somewhat just the same even on the same side of the coin. Yes, groups can be formed also nowadays, but that keeps those echo-chambers up and running, while people forget more and more about free and libre software, free and libre culture in its roots. That's one part of the reasoning we are at this point and one part why we do what we do here. With clear compassion and empathy for what we are doing. Let us stand for an inclusive, friendly for all beings, democratic culture within the "free and libre software"-movement.

20 (edited by zapper 2023-06-16 03:31:38)

I don't understand why this is a problem:

On a scale of 1-10,

winbugs,gaggle,rottenapple = off the charts negative

mainstream linux and freebsd = 4

OpenBSD and Hyperbola are currently 9

HyperbolaBSD will be a off the charts positive.

If you don't have some kind of label, for the problem, things tend to not work as well for most.

Most, meaning some won't understand your viewpoint. Besides, some people need to vent... wink