1 (edited by zapper 2023-06-20 20:35:20)

Topic: About tblock

https://codeberg.org/tblock/tblock/issues/61

start here:

https://codeberg.org/tblock/tblock/issu … ent-944775

and go down from there,

throgh, you might have interest in the comments that follow that one.

Long story short, he wonders if there is an alternative to polkit for what he needs. I myself, don't know of any beyond rdo maybe...

but I feel you might know even more than that. This is why I made this thread.

wink

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!

Re: About tblock

Getting root-privileges at runtime of an application is always a problem. More or less the option you have mentioned (more simple to open a terminal-session with requesting some alternative) is the only one besides the more complicated ways. Perhaps su can make a help here as it is mostly common on all Nix-systems and alike.

But I thought we (team) were clear about the point: When a package is removed (now) it won't return until someone is there for porting it towards HyperbolaBSD / OpenBSD. At the moment I'm focussed full only on 0.4.3 and same for the others on HyperbolaBSD. So there is no time for tblock. If you have interest you are surely invited to step up as maintainer for this package, including also tblock-gui at a point when this is made possible perhaps. So for sure everyone in the community is also invited for trying porting, first for OpenBSD and later on for HyperbolaBSD. All kind of support is always welcome! smile

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

throgh wrote:

Getting root-privileges at runtime of an application is always a problem. More or less the option you have mentioned (more simple to open a terminal-session with requesting some alternative) is the only one besides the more complicated ways. Perhaps su can make a help here as it is mostly common on all Nix-systems and alike.

But I thought we (team) were clear about the point: When a package is removed (now) it won't return until someone is there for porting it towards HyperbolaBSD / OpenBSD. At the moment I'm focussed full only on 0.4.3 and same for the others on HyperbolaBSD. So there is no time for tblock. If you have interest you are surely invited to step up as maintainer for this package, including also tblock-gui at a point when this is made possible perhaps. So for sure everyone in the community is also invited for trying porting, first for OpenBSD and later on for HyperbolaBSD. All kind of support is always welcome! smile

Yeah... my bad, I hadn't understood this.

In any case, I focused on the polkit part too much. wink

No problem, but I think you have done the maintainer a good service already with pointing on this. Perhaps there are other ways and solutions? Likewise using su or something different? Depends on the system. For the moment everybody is called when there is interest to step up as maintainer(s). Sharing the resulting PKGBUILD as hyperman (pacman hard-fork) will be for sure there.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

throgh wrote:

No problem, but I think you have done the maintainer a good service already with pointing on this. Perhaps there are other ways and solutions? Likewise using su or something different? Depends on the system. For the moment everybody is called when there is interest to step up as maintainer(s). Sharing the resulting PKGBUILD as hyperman (pacman hard-fork) will be for sure there.

I have a PKGBUILD of tblock-gui that doesn't need tblock-gui.

But it won't matter right now for the moment. wink

Apparently, he didn't want it to be the main thing, to confuse new users, but he did make me a pkgbuild where it would work the way I desired.

smile

As said and repeated: If you want to share PKGBUILDs, please feel free ... https://forums.hyperbola.info/viewtopic.php?id=773
But tblock had its chance being integrated. We have removed it out of the reasoning as we don't need even more packages for HyperbolaBSD essential in our repositories. If you like to port it when HyperbolaBSD is ready, sure thing. Same if you like to be the maintainer for a generic package for Hyperbola GNU/Linux-libre: Always a warm welcome for this and the donation of help.

And the decision was not about tblock-gui, but about tblock essential made. It is one thing to add some dependencies when an essential package is changing and updated. But tblock is based on python and those packages have the common ways to demand more and more dependencies when growing and updated. So we try to keep that at a minimum or leave those behind when not essential needed for the operating-system.