Topic: The end of version 0.3 repo?

Anyways, thanks to the developers for a great distro.

I was wasting too much time trying to configure 0.4, so I downgraded to 0.3. I didn't have the opportunity to learn to self-host 0.3 repo. Looks like I ran out of time.

Re: The end of version 0.3 repo?

Yes "old-stable" is now based on 0.4.2 as 0.3 is also beyond support from us.
But clear questioning also: You have written about "wasting too much time to configure 0.4". The version 0.4 is for sure quite different in many points and in usage. So you think it is too much time used to get a running system, while the outcome can be a solid installed operating-system?

With all the possible hardware-combinations out it is near impossible to get all ways simple configured and so there is a price to pay. But with the time used, nobody gets less. Even there is more to get as the knowledge can be used further in the future for many other things. So I do not get the point why to migrate back towards a not even no longer supported version just because it seems more simple besides there is also the point that 0.3 was a puzzle piece on our road away from bloated frameworks and was marked as that. Same way as 0.4 is now marked as a point towards HyperbolaBSD.

I think we need to underline also: Hyperbola was and is always coming with the combination that I as user have to research on my own. When I do not have all pieces: For sure questions help, but there is the need for researching own ways when the stock installed base is not running out of the box. And everyone can learn further when I later write about my personal experiences. I think this needs to be underlined again. If this is not in perspective - not meant towards you but more generalized - Hyperbola is and will be the wrong system. Technical emancipation is the base decision and this can be reached only with each other! smile Besides it was always noted that keeping an own mirror is recommended, also again to underlined here.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

Well I have been using Linux for 20 years now, and in the past couple of years I've realized that I'm spending so much time troubleshooting problems and configuring new installations that I'm spending less and less time actually using the computer for something productive.

I was behind on my studies because I spent a week trying to get audio working on 0.4 when I gave up. I also noticed the 0.3 repo had more packages and decided I probably wouldn't follow Hyperbola development any further. It's a great distro but I can't accomplish anything but email and web browsing if there's not much software in the repo, and I can't install stuff from other Linux distros if I follow to HyperbolaBSD.

All the work is partially my fault because I kept switching to more secure/libre systems (Ubuntu, then Debian, then Qubes, then Hyperbola). But I'm still tired of spending days troubleshooting something, then asking on a forum and waiting another day for a response, etc. It takes a lot of time.

Anyways, I'm content with version 0.3 even if it's no longer supported.

Okay, thanks for your answer.

Closing the thread now as all was said and the questions were answered.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!