Topic: Networking issue...

Was using the latest image of Hyperbola 0.4.3 btw, I hope that helps you.

For some reason, I have not been able to get atheros wifi card working for longer than one boot up.

After that, I can't connect my device to my librecmc router.

BUT! This is where it gets weird, I can connect to non-libre networks. And,this is only on my X230.

On my T430, this issue is null and void. It's almost like this bug came from installation and if I had upgraded incrementally it wouldn't have happened.

It's just really annoying... to say the least.

Also as an edit I should mention, I haven't used my X230 in a while. I tend to doubt this is on your end due to the whole nature of your stability on installations.

But maybe I am wrong and something went undetected?

I think something else must be up, because I don't have this problem with my T430 and yet on my X230, even my usb dongles are doing this.

So... idk.

Doesn't matter which librecmc router either. I have one at a second location, same issue on both.

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!

Re: Networking issue...

zapper wrote:

For some reason, I have not been able to get atheros wifi card working for longer than one boot up.

Okay, so you are writing about your ThinkPad X230. Have you controlled the state of the wifi-adapter? Especially after a reboot?
Important is also: How do you start the services at which runlevel? Also interesting for further research: Getting your wifi-adapter back working manually like stated in the reference installation.

Are all connections stable on the wifi-card? You need to make especially that sure. Is the connection stable for other wifi-points you have mentioned? You need to test those the same you test your setup with LibreCMC, including the reboot.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

3 (edited by zapper 2023-09-16 07:00:12)

throgh wrote:
zapper wrote:

Okay, so you are writing about your ThinkPad X230. Have you controlled the state of the wifi-adapter? Especially after a reboot?
Important is also: How do you start the services at which runlevel? Also interesting for further research: Getting your wifi-adapter back working manually like stated in the reference installation.

Are all connections stable on the wifi-card? You need to make especially that sure. Is the connection stable for other wifi-points you have mentioned? You need to test those the same you test your setup with LibreCMC, including the reboot.

Actually, I am going to correct myself... sometimes it works, sometimes it only shows like 2 out of like 10 wifi zones that exist in the nearby area, I mean.

Not including the ath9k wifi zone.

It's rather strange.

But this has for sure nothing to do with Hyperbola as system and more with the wifi-signal itself. Please take in perspective that it depends on many factors and can even make a difference if you change a room as the building itself is also part of this. So you would need to review your setup, including the decision for a wifi-repeater to test. Therefore I have asked for researching the wifi-card itself: It can be a different model, compatible working but with weaker signal-taking - just as an example. Was that changed as you have noted that your device was in repair?

And those information are surely needed for your research: When the signal is getting weak about time, the system itself works. I have installed earlier the second system with 0.4.3 on my notebook (64bit as 32bit is used also) and did this with a wifi-connection without issues.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

throgh wrote:

But this has for sure nothing to do with Hyperbola as system and more with the wifi-signal itself. Please take in perspective that it depends on many factors and can even make a difference if you change a room as the building itself is also part of this. So you would need to review your setup, including the decision for a wifi-repeater to test. Therefore I have asked for researching the wifi-card itself: It can be a different model, compatible working but with weaker signal-taking - just as an example. Was that changed as you have noted that your device was in repair?

And those information are surely needed for your research: When the signal is getting weak about time, the system itself works. I have installed earlier the second system with 0.4.3 on my notebook (64bit as 32bit is used also) and did this with a wifi-connection without issues.

Actually, I am trying using a wifi adapter again but this time using rfkill to disable the onboard wifi method.

You might be right, it could in fact be my wifi card that is the problem. Only time will tell though. So far it looks that way though.

wink