Topic: Connect to mirrors / error failed retrieving file 'community.db'

Hi, dear Hyperbola community!
Im trying to install Hyperbola on my Thinkpad x230
And i have some troubles"
1)  cant install last version, with ventoy, and im try to install it with balenaEtcher, but i have troubles too. like "Failed to load idlinux.c32" or i dont have root console, and i did not enter any command. its look smth like this (Btw sorry i cant upload screen on site, but i can in imgur sorry)
https://imgur.com/a/HLkPAPC
and im trying change smth in boot on BIOS and i have rEFInd and i have same troubles.https://imgur.com/a/yTsz5NC
I think i need to install like 0.3.1 ver. cause i saw guides / and on ventoy doc, that version will be fine!
And its work! (but im install it from https://archive.org/download/hyperbola-milky-way-v0.3.1 ) And im trying check hash sum, and maybe im did it right, i guess! https://imgur.com/a/u34seGc
2) Ok, now my trouble is https://imgur.com/a/AzgrKTn
I make like in guide for beginers https://wiki.hyperbola.info/doku.php?id … stallation
and im watching this video https://youtu.be/l3dR-aGUVF8?si=gIC40C0yjPJV8B83
Im just google it on any resourses, and now im here.
I dont know how to fix it, maybe u can help me!

Re: Connect to mirrors / error failed retrieving file 'community.db'

Hello and welcome, first the message that we do not provide support for Hyperbola 0.3.1 any longer direct. The reasoning that community.db is not possible to be retrieved is that it is not existing since Hyperbola 0.4 and beyond. We have restructured our repositories and offer no longer a wide amount of packages. Hyperbolas approach is to be as most minimalist as possible. Please do NOT use Hyperbola 0.3.1 for that!

It is NOT possible to ugrade from Hyperbola 0.3.1 towards Hyperbola 0.4 or beyond as again to underline: We have restructured, rebuild and reordered everything to be just even more minimalistic.

If this "ventoy" offers support for Hyperbola: Please just use dd-command within there when possible. Nothing more, nothing less.

Sidenote: Please do not use imgur for posting images.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

I have looked now at the website for ventoy: There is ONLY Hyperbola 0.3.1 used and that is as said no longer supported here.

So that toolset is NOT recommended to be used for Hyperbola 0.4 and beyond. First of all if you have no GNU/Linux-installation available I would recommend to use some to boot and install the ISO-image with the dd-command.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

Ok, now im remake flash with balenaEtcher, and i boot it and have error, that im describet at 1st paragraph
Failed to load ldlinux.c32
Boot failed: press a key to retry...
How to fix that?

Also here the same: Personally I have never heard of "balenaEtcher" before. Please just use dd, so it would be sufficient to bootup a simple live-image and use the command with a USB-drive.

The best way is to use the normal local tools, not some online-tools downloaded or direct online hosted.

im trying to make how on guide, but i have error

In download folder:

dd if=hyperbola-milky-way-v0.4.3-dual.iso of=/dev/sdd bs=2048 && sync

dd: failed to open 'hyperbola-milky-way-v0.4.3-dual.iso': No such file or directory

First of all: Have you checked if the file is really there at the current position?

You can also use it different alike:

dd if=/home/[YOUR_USERNAME]/Downloads/hyperbola-milky-way-v0.4.3-dual.iso of=[DEVICE] bs=2048 && sync

Also take into perspective that dd perhaps needs more privileges when doing.
Best is to check the full structure for folders and files on the terminal. smile

I make it like this, on home dir, with sudo / without sudo, with su, but i cant

root@name:~# dd if=/home/name/Downloads/hyperbola-milky-way-v0.4.3-dual.iso of=/dev/sdd bs=2048 && sync

dd: failed to open '/home/vxeadpc/Downloads/hyperbola-milky-way-v0.4.3-dual.iso': No such file or directory

What was your way of download? Via torrent?

throgh wrote:

iso file

If you are using completion on your terminal, you can check if the file is really in that folder. Nevertheless it should be at the point you have downloaded or copied to. So for this I can only recommend you to check the folder-structure.

throgh wrote:

Sorry for using imgur, im so stupid to understand how to upload image with manual...

Ok, im plug usb in laptop, and choose UEFI in boot.

Now i have rEFInd menu

https://imgur.com/a/yxyaPth

and have same trouble, like any commands dont work, how i can fix it?

https://imgur.com/a/Isval2Y

So to get this on the right side: Do you use UEFI original on that ThinkPad X230? Or Coreboot alike? Meaning: SeaBIOS for example as payload.
And I don't know for this moment: Can you use "legacy boot" as option on that notebook? That would help a lot to get this error reduced or complete mitigated. Hyperbola is not very much befriended with UEFI and "secure boot"-options.

Also to note: Have you run the checksums for your downloaded ISO-file? It seems a bit corrupted for that messages you have shown here.
Important: On which root-filesystem did you do that? Which live-system?

throgh wrote:

So to get this on the right side: Do you use UEFI original on that ThinkPad X230? Or Coreboot alike? Meaning: SeaBIOS for example as payload.
And I don't know for this moment: Can you use "legacy boot" as option on that notebook? That would help a lot to get this error reduced or complete mitigated. Hyperbola is not very much befriended with UEFI and "secure boot"-options.

Secure boot are disabled/ I dont have core/libreboot

in Legacy mode i have that error
Failer to load ldlinux.c32
Boot failed: press a key to retry...

In UEFI mode i have troubles thats on imgurs screenshots!

That really sounds like a corruped image. Have you checked the hashsums of your downloaded ISO-file?

throgh wrote:

That really sounds like a corruped image. Have you checked the hashsums of your downloaded ISO-file?

just download it from torrent

https://imgur.com/a/7FTQ4cD

make like on guide

P.S. sorry for imgur

Perhaps it is also a problem with the UEFI in usage enforcing 64bit-only usage. But for this I cannot reproduce that error. I have no system comparable here.

throgh wrote:

Perhaps it is also a problem with the UEFI in usage enforcing 64bit-only usage. But for this I cannot reproduce that error. I have no system comparable here.

Hi again! now i can do it!
After # pacstrap /mnt base

i need to restart laptop?

cause after # genfstab -U -p /mnt >> /mnt/etc/fstab

Chroot and configure the base system
# arch-chroot /mnt DONT WORK
failed to run command /bin/bash no such file or directory

i need to restart laptop?

No absolutely not restart as otherwise basics are not done. You can try the following:

pacstrap /mnt bash

That would install bash another time.
Also: Please recreate the fstab with ...

genfstab -p /mnt >> /mnt/etc/fstab

That would be enough. What kind of format do you use for your harddisk? DOS or GPT for partitioning?

throgh wrote:

No absolutely not restart as otherwise basics are not done. You can try the following:

pacstrap /mnt bash

That would install bash another time.
Also: Please recreate the fstab with ...

genfstab -p /mnt >> /mnt/etc/fstab

That would be enough. What kind of format do you use for your harddisk? DOS or GPT for partitioning?

i dont about my ssd, sorry

but now im trying locale, after arch-chroot /mnt

nano /etc/locale.gen

but nano: command not found

Within the pacstrap you can install nano or anything else. Command:

pacman -S nano

A bit strange nevertheless as it should be there. But well: Helping here. smile

throgh wrote:

Within the pacstrap you can install nano or anything else. Command:

pacman -S nano

A bit strange nevertheless as it should be there. But well: Helping here. smile

After that im choose/uncomment en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8

but when im wrote

locale-gen

term said that en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8 ...failed to set locale!
character map file UTF-8 not found: N such file or directory

I doubt the installation worked: Every command now for initial setup failed. Can you please reinstall the system within chroot?

pacman -S base base-devel grub wpa_supplicant grub

throgh wrote:

I doubt the installation worked: Every command now for initial setup failed. Can you please reinstall the system within chroot?

pacman -S base base-devel grub wpa_supplicant grub

I think i will dont maybe. Like i have grub, but have
after reboot

*System setup

error: can`t find command 'fwsetup'

How to fix that