Re: xinitrc missing from /etc/X11/xinit, bspwm doesn't start

Let's try this first. I do the best I can and would also go for testing encrypted install with a renewal the guidance. But well? I have too many tasks at once. smile

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

27 (edited by jim 2023-12-17 19:49:51)

Hello Radiatorman . You can use my instructions, before publishing here, I tested it on real hardware, everything works, I’m also testing DWM (tiling window manager) now, everything works fine.

1. Write what packages did you install?
2. You can start the server without installing slim

startx

28 (edited by jim 2023-12-17 20:07:35)

Sorry I didn't read everything.

If you installed HP, let's try to install DWM and see what you can do, these are a few commands.

$ git clone https://git.suckless.org/dwm

$ git clone https://git.suckless.org/st

$ git clone https://git.suckless.org/dmenu

$ cd dwm
$ make
$ doas make clean install

$ cd
$ сd st
$ make

$ cd dmenu
$ make
$ nano .xinitrc

exec dwm

startx

jim wrote:

Hello Radiatorman . You can use my instructions, before publishing here, I tested it on real hardware, everything works, I’m also testing DWM (tiling window manager) now, everything works fine.

1. Write what packages did you install?
2. You can start the server without installing slim

startx

Hi, I couldn't start the server without slim either, but it doesn't matter now, I wiped the drive and I'll do a clean install without encryption tomorrow (although I don't really wanna do that, but ill test if it works that way). Maybe I just misconfigured something at install. I'll report back tomorrow. Although if there are any guides on how to do it with encryption, because it looks like my approach from doing it the artix way like im used to doesn't work, I'd appreciate them.

jim wrote:

Sorry I didn't read everything.

If you installed HP, let's try to install DWM and see what you can do, these are a few commands.

git clone https://git.suckless.org/dwm

git clone https://git.suckless.org/st

git clone https://git.suckless.org/dmenu

cd .suckless

cd dwm
make
doas make clean install

cd
сd st
make
doas make clean install

cd ..
cd dmenu
make
doas make clean install
nano .xinitrc

exec dwm

startx

I'm also pretty sure compiling dwm and trying that wouldn'tve worked either. No window manager could start, only slim, and starting X without slim wouldn't work either. I'm pretty sure I just messed up something and I'll retry tomorrow.

I got you . If it were possible to encrypt TWO times, I would do it this way))

Therefore, you can use my instructions tomorrow and I will try to help you as best I can. I also installed it on a T440 with Libreboot, everything works fine, I was very pleased when I launched the server))

Here are my instructions =>  Install HyperbolaGNU (encryption without /boot)   https://forums.hyperbola.info/viewtopic.php?id=934

jim wrote:

I got you . If it were possible to encrypt TWO times, I would do it this way))

Therefore, you can use my instructions tomorrow and I will try to help you as best I can. I also installed it on a T440 with Libreboot, everything works fine, I was very pleased when I launched the server))

Here are my instructions =>  Install HyperbolaGNU (encryption without /boot)   https://forums.hyperbola.info/viewtopic.php?id=934

Thank you, I'll try doing it that way tomorrow, although I don't really see much difference from the way I usually do encryption or system setup. Maybe I missed something when I did it, and that's why it didn't work. I'll report back tomorrow on how it went, or maybe even today if i feel like I'm up for it. BTW, how did you install xenocara? Just the default pacman -S xorg xenocara-video-intel way, or something different?

33 (edited by jim 2023-12-17 20:41:56)

Yes, write how everything turns out.

As for my installation, I did this:

Check the groups

$groups 

sys wheel network video audio power users jim
$ doas pacman -S base base-devel xenocara xenocara-xinit xenocara-video-intel  git 

Next, assemble DWM and start the server, if everything goes well, you can install bspwm, slim and other programs...

jim wrote:

Yes, write how everything turns out.

As for my installation, I did this:

Check the groups

$groups 

sys wheel network video audio power users jim
$ doas pacman -S base base-devel xenocara xenocara-xinit xenocara-video-intel  git 

Next, assemble DWM and start the server, if everything goes well, you can install bspwm, slim and other programs...

Thanks, I also saw that in the 2 guides mentioned here, everyone just used pacstrap /mnt with no packages listed. I did pacstrap /mnt linux-libre-lts base vim etc. when pacstrapping, could that be an issue? In every arch based distro I've used, i had to specify packages when pacstrapping, do you not have to on hyperbola?

No, Hyperbola is especially independent and different as we are not Arch GNU/Linux and don't use also many of their specifications. Hyperbolas main focus is to be completely different using many more UNIX-based approaches also: For packaging, groups, usage and more. We are also working to create with HyperbolaBSD our own operating-system.

So it is better to use:

pacmstrap /mnt base base-devel

And after installation of those basics doing further adjustments.
You will also find that all packages here are completely rebuild and own build from scratch. Nothing is taken aside some PKGBUILD-scripts. Also you will finde many packages beng here, not being in any other Arch-like system. We just use pacman (hyperman in the future) and some basics.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

throgh wrote:

No, Hyperbola is especially independent and different as we are not Arch GNU/Linux and don't use also many of their specifications. Hyperbolas main focus is to be completely different using many more UNIX-based approaches also: For packaging, groups, usage and more. We are also working to create with HyperbolaBSD our own operating-system.

So it is better to use:

pacmstrap /mnt base base-devel

And after installation of those basics doing further adjustments.

Oh, thank you. I 1st heard about hyperbola through hyperbolaBSD, but I didn't think the linux distro would have this many similarities with BSD before trying it.

Yes, Hyperbola 0.4 is since its release more and more going exactly in the preparation for being HyperbolaBSD. smile

If you don't install base-devel, you won't be able to build DWM because there are utilities like gcc, make, etc.

jim wrote:

If you don't install base-devel, you won't be able to build DWM because there are utilities like gcc, make, etc.

OK, I installed hyperbola with your guide, it boots, ill build dwm and test now

That sounds quite like a nice step. Thanks!

Happy to report, dwm works, at least it worked after installing xterm. I've never used dwm before so i cant verify its functionality, but I am seeing xterm and xenocara loaded completely fine. I guess I did something wrong when installing it first. I'll report back in a while when I get bspwm installed with picom, slim etc. and my configs loaded. Thanks for the help everyone

Thanks for reporting smile

Bspwm with picom, sxhkd, polybar works very well too, although loads quite slowly after starting it from slim, but ill figure that out. Thanks for all the help, I guess I was just dumb, but I still dont know what the issue was with my 1st install

Some package maybe missed up being outside the dependency-tree and inside the groups. Guessing for now. But when working that, I think it is going forth.

throgh wrote:

Some package maybe missed up being outside the dependency-tree and inside the groups. Guessing for now. But when working that, I think it is going forth.

That might be. Very excited for hyperbolaBSD too, I'll definitely try it when the alpha releases smile

46 (edited by jim 2023-12-18 07:48:09)

Hello . Glad everything went well for you.

I wanted to check with you (if it’s not a secret)

1. Do you have Libreboot or Coreboot installed? I did some instructions. I'm preparing another tutorial about Luks2 while I'm repairing my PC.

2. Did you install polybar from sources other than the Hyperbola repository?

jim wrote:

Hello . Glad everything went well for you.

I wanted to check with you (if it’s not a secret)

1. Do you have Libreboot or Coreboot installed? I did some instructions. I'm preparing another tutorial about Luks2 while I'm repairing my PC.

2. Did you install polybar from sources other than the Hyperbola repository?

Hi, I have libreboot 20160907 installed, which I flashed a while ago, but I'll probably update to the 2023 stable soon, I'm using a thinkpad x200. And polybar i just compiled from source, the 3.6.0 version, which is a year and a half old, but the version of gcc used in hyperbola is a little old, so i just wanted to be sure it works. If you're doing a tutorial on luks2 soon, I'm gonna experiment with full disk encryption on hyperbola with /boot included this week, because I'd like to see if that works.

The more information provided the better and clear the tutorial can be. For the moment I'm nost busy with cleaning the repositories from unwanted packages and making dependencies as minimalistic as possible, resulting in easier maintenance. The gcc-version is the one we are using for building our HyperBK, the forked BSD-kernel even now being ported towards and running. The userspace is undergoing the same process and is now in debugging-mode. After this the first real pre-alpha version should be ready for everyone, but surely not in production-mode (pre-alpha). With this version we are going to check our hyperman and hypertools, used than for active packaging and porting. And for that around I'm busy to prepare our 0.4.4-release also, containing many enhancements, additions and fixes. And some packages not longer needed for sure.

throgh wrote:

The more information provided the better and clear the tutorial can be. For the moment I'm nost busy with cleaning the repositories from unwanted packages and making dependencies as minimalistic as possible, resulting in easier maintenance. The gcc-version is the one we are using for building our HyperBK, the forked BSD-kernel even now being ported towards and running. The userspace is undergoing the same process and is now in debugging-mode. After this the first real pre-alpha version should be ready for everyone, but surely not in production-mode (pre-alpha). With this version we are going to check our hyperman and hypertools, used than for active packaging and porting. And for that around I'm busy to prepare our 0.4.4-release also, containing many enhancements, additions and fixes. And some packages not longer needed for sure.

I have no issue with using a little older version of gcc, but are there any plans on updating it in the future? Maybe after the alpha? And if I do get some results with full disk encryption, I'll definitely post the steps I did to get it working (or where it failed and it's not working) and provide all the info I can.

An update is not planned for the moment as we are in the critical part of developing the kernel and infrastructure. First all has to stand with the first stable release of HyperbolaBSD 1.0. If you have interest to support at a point, feel invited: Help is always welcome.