Topic: Sound settings

Hi all . I wanted to clarify about the sound settings. What packages do I need to install on the system so that I can hear sound in the browser and be able to listen to music through the audio player and video player.

I need to download: alsa-tools  alsa-util and  alsa-sndio

When I enter in the terminal:

$ amixer set Master 5%+

through alsamixer I see that the sound has increased when I enter the command

$ sndioctl output.level=+0.10

This does not work ??

Re: Sound settings

You just need alsa-sndio when you want to run alsa through sndiod, but in general I recommend to leave that package outside. The point being is that you have two sound-systems throughout the Linux-kernel using alsa and sndiod is running besides also. Removing alsa-sndio gives you the opportunity to run applications using ALSA with ALSA and the rest without issues with sndio.

But you need first to verify that alsasound is running as daemon. Additional to use a mixer like volumeicon for ALSA. Making your sound working first with ALSA and when this works you can verify also sndio. But to underline: As sndio is most a BSD-descendant software Linux is not supporting all parts very well with any graphical interface or better said: It could and would, if people would be interested.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

3 (edited by jim 2023-12-29 19:00:59)

Thank you very much for your answer. Yes, I have two daemons running, I checked. And the sound works. I just wanted to understand how many packages I need to install for ALSA to work.

doas rc-status default 

alsasound and sndiod running

As for VolumeIcon, thanks for the recommendation, I previously installed soundbraid https://www.hyperbola.info/packages/ext … undbraid/, it helped me when I had no sound in the browser.

soundbraid is a nice package, and it will get its way in HyperbolaBSD.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!