1 (edited by aether 2019-08-28 19:08:07)

Topic: recaptcha inferno

I don't remember when it started to escalate badly, maybe 2 or 3 years ago, now more and more sites are asking for this stupid thing.
The worst thing is that most of the time, you are unable to solve what it asks. ("Please try again" when you got everything right, oh my god..)
Personally, I avoid any website that uses the recaptcha. I even asked for several account deletion after they started using it.
The sad part is that there are websites out there that asks for it even if you're logged in. Completely crazy..

What do you think about it ?

2 (edited by zapper 2019-08-29 20:51:28)

Re: recaptcha inferno

aether wrote:

I don't remember when it started to escalate badly, maybe 2 or 3 years ago, now more and more sites are asking for this stupid thing.
The worst thing is that most of the time, you are unable to solve what it asks. ("Please try again" when you got everything right, oh my god..)
Personally, I avoid any website that uses the recaptcha. I even asked for several account deletion after they started using it.
The sad part is that there are websites out there that asks for it even if you're logged in. Completely crazy..

Recaptcha is nothing more than a pile of shit. I really, really wish people would force Google to die a slow steady death for this. hmm

ReCaptcha is freakin evil plain and simple. and yes, I solve it, they pretend I didn't... what a pile of horse shit.

Editing to say, captcha is fine if it isn't google's or an equivelant evil...

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!

3 (edited by throgh 2019-08-30 06:14:57)

Well I think there is already some more behind this: More websites using this more data is incoming. And every solved "puzzle" results in more completed information about whatever you can imagine: Recognizing bridges, cars, signs and so on, perhaps for self-driving cars? Don't get me wrong: I think the most bad about those nonsense but I'm also questioning the idea behind and what is done with the results of those "puzzles". Captcha as standalone technique is one other thing: Perhaps some imagery something used here in the forums? Done and nothing to complain about.

But first "ReCaptcha" is nothing simple and second there is mostly "Big Data" interests behind in my point of view. Besides I would ask the original creators what their intention was when creating those nonsense and therefore selling this to Google itself. Two bad ideas resulting in the concurrent situation. Yeah, I also don't think that there are really "evil plans" behind in the first place ... the "evil" about centralized services, buzzwords like "Big Data" and ongoing rise of surveillance is the result of many thoughts. The most? Ignorance of us, the human beings. Because instead of questioning each other we "play" socializing and identity-politics, instead respecting each other and learning from each other ... list is not finished yet and it saddens me when listening everyday again to the news telling me more about outrages, killing, warmongering, fighting and literally hate. When "good people" are silenced, really "bad" is happening. And believe me when telling this: It's not easy to stand against hatred and ignorance. Even when criticizing non-free packages, just for this criticism, you earn on some places scorn and ridicule, no question is asked and you are branded as "strange" or "religious", being to "harsh in ideology" or just having "strange principles" - I'm talking about places discussing Linux and BSD topics already depending on free, libre software, nothing else. What's next? Perhaps the best way in my point of view: Damn the deed, not the people. And therefore trying to stay away from websites using "ReCaptcha" is one good thing but the number of those using this is rising which brings us back to the discussion I've mentioned, talking to walls when warning about those services.

Sorry, don't wanted to write such long text passage and going also off-topic in some ways. Just returned from such a discussion and therefore a little bit exhausted and disappointed being handled like this.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

aether wrote:

That's what I complained about in https://forums.hyperbola.info/viewtopic.php?id=221
I guess ppl just don't scroll to the bottom of the forum hmm

Perhaps in some years it will become impossible to create a captcha anymore due to advances in machine learning? There are already attempts of breaking G's ReCaptcha using it's own machine learning libraries ;_;

koszko wrote:
aether wrote:

That's what I complained about in https://forums.hyperbola.info/viewtopic.php?id=221
I guess ppl just don't scroll to the bottom of the forum hmm

Perhaps in some years it will become impossible to create a captcha anymore due to advances in machine learning? There are already attempts of breaking G's ReCaptcha using it's own machine learning libraries ;_;

Nah, I was being lazy or I would have replied sooner. recaptcha is trash... ;/

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!