Topic: Business activities?

Hello, just read about the concurrent news regarding partnership with "Libreware Group" and had to say: Not being so much within this for now. Don't get me wrong, spreading more about freedom, libre soft- and hardware, also more about ideals is one good thing within first view. But in second I'm not that convinced about companies and corporations at all, because most the time values like ethic or moral are not the kind of reasonable ways to be understand from them. In fact they deal just with money: The more the better and I have concurrent doubts that this move would help.

So I'm unsure: Will this partnership have influences in the development of the distribution and the upcomfing plans like HyperbolaBK as BSD-fork for example? And corporate interests overrule decisions made about idealistic ways - looking to you Canonical and you Red Hat. Just my personal opinion regarding that topic, but I don't think that commercial, capitalistic ways and free, libre ideals are compatible at last. I know about all kinds of arguments either positive or negative, but that's my point of view being critical.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

2 (edited by zapper 2019-08-30 21:08:12)

Re: Business activities?

We shall see I guess huh, I think he is being bold and who knows, maybe he will succeed where others have failed.

I think he can do what he is doing and get that support, but it will be tricky though doable.

My point being, it depends on how well he does. I think he will be successful with this. smile

Edit: without losing his ethics i might add. smile

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!

Hope so, zapper. Thanks for the reply. Forgive me but as mentioned elsewhere I had very harsh debates within the last few days and that's also part being attacked just because I prefer idealistic touch without influences from elsewhere just the community, just free, libre software without any bad deals at all. And it seems this is not wanted within some places: Even the neverending debate about systemd for example. Distributions without it are seen as something "strange" or doing at their "own will and failing in the end". I even heard within a German community arguments about stealing when doing forks without systemd and that's just the part about init-freedom.

In the end I have to admit there is also two big thoughts which induce me: First is being afraid about loosing init-freedom. The upcoming plans are straight up and from my point of view very cool. Including shepherd and other init-systems as choice? Outstanding. But there is this thought of standardization directly bound to companies. Therefore my question including the whish for having Hyperbola staying independent. Second is loosing the idealism at all. I have seen too much since getting up with GNU/Linux: Projects vanished or getting completely unfree just because the course was driven away from freedom-oriented towards more profit-oriented perspectives. Mozilla is such an example: Until today there are so many promises from them and looking behind the curtain those stay lip services. Same about Canonical and many others! Please don't take this personal dear Hyperbola-team, dear community. I'm just being a little bit disenchanted because of those discussions and the on-going attacks towards myself just trying to tell about idealistic views and also being afraid about loosing all of this, being lost within only proprietary ways and no way out. sad

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

Hi throgh,

coadde and me are in charge of Libreware, so Hyperbola is an independent project as it always was. The goal here is provide support for business activities because we need a way to live and make Hyperbola a sustainable and professional distro by maintaining it 24/7.

For future projects planned to be made from scratch like HyperbolaBSD, it requires investments to hire devs for professional development and projects. So an entity is required to do it under a professional way and pay taxes correctly.

Okay, thanks for feedback, Emulatorman. I was indeed first a little unsure about the news and therefore my concrete thoughts because I was left in the past with optimistic thoughts and then got frustrated on other projects.

Do you plan also some more involvement of the community itself? Besides donation I see possibilities like helping with translations and tutorials into German for example. Getting Hyperbola also a little bit more known here. I know you have plans with the distribution, but there could be also some involvement in more libre, free distributions for example with the idea here for flatpak.

throgh wrote:

Okay, thanks for feedback, Emulatorman. I was indeed first a little unsure about the news and therefore my concrete thoughts because I was left in the past with optimistic thoughts and then got frustrated on other projects.

Yes, i understand your point of view, but don't worry, we are so paranoid for freedom, security, privacy and stability. smile

throgh wrote:

Do you plan also some more involvement of the community itself? Besides donation I see possibilities like helping with translations and tutorials into German for example. Getting Hyperbola also a little bit more known here. I know you have plans with the distribution, but there could be also some involvement in more libre, free distributions for example with the idea here for flatpak.

Of course, Hyperbola is a project focused for its community while Libreware is focused for business activities to receive investment to hire devs for complex development for Hyperbola and another future complex projects such as develop free-design hardware (eg. laptops, desktop computers) for our community.

Otherwise, we love receive involvement of the community, such as translation, patches, tutorials, videos, proposal of new packages and free software projects to distribute here. Hyperbola was made for that, and we need your contribution to Hyperbola exist. If you see in our donation page, it is maintaining the entire Hyperbola structure and we are so happy for that! We are looking for a way to see if we could receive donations through credit cards from the Libreware's bank account since it is an entity. If it is possible, then it could ease the life of some users who can't donate through wire or crypto coin transfers smile

Talking of flatpak, it should be blacklisted soon because it has has no policy against distributing nonfree software through their repos. Also Hyperbola is a distribution and it should distribute all packages itself.

Thanks for all the information. I'll keep my fingers crossed for those plans and of course will keep closer look onto how to support the community and you with the plans, donations excluded because this is needed and self-evident for me using this nice, libre distribution. Sounds very good at all! So I'll start up with translations for now. big_smile

throgh wrote:

there could be also some involvement in more libre, free distributions for example with the idea here for flatpak.

I'd be happy to talk about that, but since we already know this is not going to be realized as part of Hyperbola, I'm afraid we would be causing off-topic spam on the forum. If You want to share ideas, throgh, email me at kwojtus@protonmail.com (yeah, I know protonmail sucks... At least it sucks less than G)