Topic: Post Install - Audio In Iceweasel

Hi All,

Have successfully installed Milky Way v0.3 to the CLI.

Had one stumper trying to launch xenocara from the CLI.  It was not at all clear to me that I needed to install "xenocara-init" to invoke the X desktop.  After some investigation, online hints led me to find the init package and give it a try.  So far so good as JWM is running just fine.

However, instead of stumbling in the dark again, I would like some feedback on sound in Iceweasel-uxp.  The web browser launches and runs fine, though without sound.  Presently, I have only "alsa-utils" and "alsa-lib" packages installed.  ALSA has been added to openrc with the "rc-update add alsasound default" command and sound is generated successfully at the CLI with this test "speaker-test -t wav -c 6".

Investigation into mozilla derivative browsers suggests that "pulseaudio" is required for sound in the browser.  However, there are also some online suggestions that "sndio" is a replacement for "pulseaudio" and will solve the browser sound problem.

So the question is what packages and configuration are required to generate sound in Iceweasel-uxp?

Thanks for all the help in advance.

TAT

Re: Post Install - Audio In Iceweasel

tat wrote:

Hi All,

Have successfully installed Milky Way v0.3 to the CLI.

Had one stumper trying to launch xenocara from the CLI.  It was not at all clear to me that I needed to install "xenocara-init" to invoke the X desktop.  After some investigation, online hints led me to find the init package and give it a try.  So far so good as JWM is running just fine.

However, instead of stumbling in the dark again, I would like some feedback on sound in Iceweasel-uxp.  The web browser launches and runs fine, though without sound.  Presently, I have only "alsa-utils" and "alsa-lib" packages installed.  ALSA has been added to openrc with the "rc-update add alsasound default" command and sound is generated successfully at the CLI with this test "speaker-test -t wav -c 6".

Investigation into mozilla derivative browsers suggests that "pulseaudio" is required for sound in the browser.  However, there are also some online suggestions that "sndio" is a replacement for "pulseaudio" and will solve the browser sound problem.

So the question is what packages and configuration are required to generate sound in Iceweasel-uxp?

Thanks for all the help in advance.

TAT

Alsa works for me, and sndio will be an option in the future.

I am a bit confused why alsa doesn't work for you given my own experiences.  ps, for other web browsers you would need apulse.

For iceweasel-uxp, it usually works automatically, sound I mean.

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!

As of Hyperbola v0.3 (stable) only ALSA is used. However, ALSA doesn't allow multiple applications to share the same audio device at one time. This means you will loose sound if another program has an audio lock. The solution is a sound server (pulse or sndio). Since PulseAudio was removed per the current roadmap there isn't overly reliable sound in the browser on stable repos at the moment. We have already replaced it with snido in the testing repository and it is working well.

When the next stable version of Hyperbola comes out, you will want to install: aucatctl, alsa-sndio, sndio packages.

Then simply run:

aucatctl master=85 icewease0=100 (max master volume 85 and Iceweasel to 100, you can tweak this as you like)

You can try this out now on testing, but we would not recommend using it as a daily runner for stability reasons unless you keep frequent backups. There are a lot of changes occurring on that branch.

This process will be streamlined more in the future and we are currently planning a GUI similar to pavucontrol for sndio users.

g4jc wrote:

As of Hyperbola v0.3 (stable) only ALSA is used. However, ALSA doesn't allow multiple applications to share the same audio device at one time. This means you will loose sound if another program has an audio lock. The solution is a sound server (pulse or sndio). Since PulseAudio was removed per the current roadmap there isn't overly reliable sound in the browser on stable repos at the moment. We have already replaced it with snido in the testing repository and it is working well.

When the next stable version of Hyperbola comes out, you will want to install: aucatctl, alsa-sndio, sndio packages.

Then simply run:

aucatctl master=85 icewease0=100 (max master volume 85 and Iceweasel to 100, you can tweak this as you like)

You can try this out now on testing, but we would not recommend using it as a daily runner for stability reasons unless you keep frequent backups. There are a lot of changes occurring on that branch.

This process will be streamlined more in the future and we are currently planning a GUI similar to pavucontrol for sndio users.

Thanks for the info, I had no idea that was a problem.

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!

Nice one and giving an idea about working with sndio. Thanks, g4jc!

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

6 (edited by tat 2019-11-06 04:12:12)

Hi All,

Thank you for the insightful replies regarding the future of sound in Hyperbola.

I did some more digging and discovered a simple command that has solved the sound problem in Iceweasel-uxp.

From the CLI as root, run the following command:

"usermod -a -G audio username"

This adds the specified user to the audio group.

Apparently, without this simple declaration, some part of the system does not understand how to route audio.

One can determine which groups a user belongs to by using the following command:

"groups username"

Hope this helps for those that may need the assistance.

TAT