1 (edited by throgh 2019-11-28 23:11:52)

Topic: Excited about progress with HyperBK

Well it seems there is first progress about HyperBK: The integration of the kernel from OpenBSD for Hyperbola, being modified for using without firmware-blobs and libre. Nice one and congratulations! cool

Really excited about upcoming additions, whenever they are ready.
Forgotten to set a link: https://git.hyperbola.info:50100/hyperb … k.git/log/

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

Re: Excited about progress with HyperBK

throgh wrote:

Well it seems there is first progress about HyperBK: The integration of the kernel from OpenBSD for Hyperbola, being modified for using without firmware-blobs and libre. Nice one and congratulations! cool

Really excited about upcoming additions, whenever they are ready.
Forgotten to set a link: https://git.hyperbola.info:50100/hyperb … k.git/log/

I second this a thousand percent.  Although it will be different in some ways. Talk to Emulatorman for more info.

The important thing is he intends to make it just as secure though.

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!

zapper wrote:

I second this a thousand percent.  Although it will be different in some ways. Talk to Emulatorman for more info.

Different is even better from my concurrent point of view. wink

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

throgh wrote:
zapper wrote:

Different is even better from my concurrent point of view. wink

Indeed, he says that forking isn't enough to make it good.  He wants to make it modular + have it be independent of OpenBSD.

He does plan to use OpenBSD as a base but go his own direction. smile

5 (edited by throgh 2019-11-29 17:37:07)

zapper wrote:

Indeed, he says that forking isn't enough to make it good.  He wants to make it modular + have it be independent of OpenBSD.

Did I've mentioned? I'm just hyped. big_smile
Thanks!

throgh wrote:
zapper wrote:

Did I've mentioned? I'm just hyped. big_smile
Thanks!

Same, I actually hope sometime after 1.0/ when HyperbolaBSD becomes stable, he goes full on HyperbolaBSD and supports it more than even the GNU/Linux-Libre version.  Or ditches the GNU/Linux-Libre version entirely... ;p

mostly because of the potential for the amount of architectures it will support. HyperbolaBSD has amazing potential for support of many different architectures mostly because OpenBSD the base is superior to GNU/Linux the base. Also, BSD is more lightweight of a kernel. wink

Though I would want nano and dhcpcd to both be within the installation iso for HyperbolaBSD.  wink   same with wpa_supplicant.

zapper wrote:

Same, I actually hope sometime after 1.0/ when HyperbolaBSD becomes stable, he goes full on HyperbolaBSD and supports it more than even the GNU/Linux-Libre version.  Or ditches the GNU/Linux-Libre version entirely... ;p

mostly because of the potential for the amount of architectures it will support. HyperbolaBSD has amazing potential for support of many different architectures mostly because OpenBSD the base is superior to GNU/Linux the base. Also, BSD is more lightweight of a kernel. wink

Though I would want nano and dhcpcd to both be within the installation iso for HyperbolaBSD.  wink   same with wpa_supplicant.

Hmm, ditching GNU/Linux-libre entirely is one possibility, but I think one step after another and I hope I can use my X200 with libreboot on this way. Do you know if "pacman" as package-manager will stay or is this just too early?

8 (edited by zapper 2019-11-29 23:30:11)

throgh wrote:
zapper wrote:

Hmm, ditching GNU/Linux-libre entirely is one possibility, but I think one step after another and I hope I can use my X200 with libreboot on this way. Do you know if "pacman" as package-manager will stay or is this just too early?

More or less, pacman seems to be the intention to keep with for HyperbolaBSD as well. 

But yeah, I would want emulatorman to wait till its stable enough to be usable even as a testing grade os.  aka like white hole is right now to an extent... smile

But yeah, ask Emulatorman his plans if you want, but I myself don't know all his plans. He does intend to make functionality similiar in the commands. wink

Much appreciated and thanks: Time will come as Hyperbola is developing and it is already open for discussion for everyone here interested.