26 (edited by throgh 2019-12-19 01:24:42)

Re: Sharing information: About being believable!

Five freedoms instead of four:

• The freedom to run the program as you wish, for any purpose (freedom 0).

• The freedom to study how the program works, and change it so it does your computing as you wish (freedom 1). Access to the source code is a precondition for this.

• The freedom to redistribute copies so you can help others (freedom 2).

• The freedom to distribute copies of your modified versions to others (freedom 3). By doing this you can give the whole community a chance to benefit from your changes. Access to the source code is a precondition for this.

• The freedom to NOT run the software, to be free to avoid vendor lock-in through appropriate modularization/encapsulation and minimized dependencies; meaning any free software can be replaced with a user’s preferred alternatives (freedom 4).

(source)

The problem in short: systemd has included so much modules by now and offers too much functionality that it is no longer to be called an essential INIT-system. This is a dangerous risk as the inclusion therefore is multiplying the complexity and the search for failures or debugging the code is also a major issue with such bloatware. The main picture of many people working together is changed towards some selected full-time employed persons and professionals having much more time being directly within and working for a company with exactly this set of tasks! And for the solution of bugs and working on changes exactly the corresponding companies can be contacted, which means this is a vendor lock-in through the backdoor! Hello, FSF: Do you recognize what is happening by now with major distributions using the naming GNU? You see the irreversible damage projects like systemd are doing if distributions like Hyperbola, Devuan and others don't get more support?

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

27 (edited by zapper 2019-12-19 01:24:58)

throgh wrote:

Five freedoms instead of four:

• The freedom to run the program as you wish, for any purpose (freedom 0).

• The freedom to study how the program works, and change it so it does your computing as you wish (freedom 1). Access to the source code is a precondition for this.

• The freedom to redistribute copies so you can help others (freedom 2).

• The freedom to distribute copies of your modified versions to others (freedom 3). By doing this you can give the whole community a chance to benefit from your changes. Access to the source code is a precondition for this.

• The freedom to NOT run the software, to be free to avoid vendor lock-in through appropriate modularization/encapsulation and minimized dependencies; meaning any free software can be replaced with a user’s preferred alternatives (freedom 4).

(source)

The problem in short: systemd has included so much modules by now and offers too much functionality that it is no longer to be called an essential INIT-system. This is a dangerous risk as the inclusion therefore is multiplying the complexity and the search for failures or debugging the code is also a major issue with such bloatware. The main picture of many people working together is changed towards some selected full-time employed persons and professionals having much more time being directly within and working for a company with exactly this set of tasks!

And there it is, what free software should be.

We need five freedoms not four.

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!

28 (edited by throgh 2019-12-19 01:31:22)

Added another callout to the FSF. But yes: Free as in freedom and not free to use what others think you should use.
Besides the problem: If Debian is voting for using systemd as main focus, the projects like antiX or Devuan are in great danger!

And I'm not talking about the issues coming up next to Trisquel as Canonical is enforcing snap as some sideway repository with being proprietary nonsense through another backdoor.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

The latest newsletter about Defective by Design (DRM) is interesting reading, but please, FSF: You should priorize updating the worst offenders. Where is Intel and their inclusions within the Linux-kernel? Where is Google as they also being part of them?

https://www.defectivebydesign.org/guide/worst-offenders

30 (edited by throgh 2019-12-19 09:56:52)

Yes, you can use Github. But they can NOT be trusted: Why do so many "free software"-projects trust it? Microsoft will and can use their possibilities to ban projects. Happened in the past and will happen again! It is centralized infrastructure. Microsoft is not a "partner" to be trusted. It is all about marketing, lies and the ability of human beings to betray themselves. Microsoft is collecting as much data as they can and they won't protect any "free software"-project when some lawsuit is coming. They even help and keep up literally "free-whashing". They never loved free softare and they never will as it is one anti-thesis towards capitalism itself.

And we have to stop about talking like "free software" is in some ways apolitical: That's another smear wording and phrase. A simple but destructive lie. It is a clear political statement, about having equal rights. And another NO: Because we have users and developers, we have no different classes of people. Not everyone making has therefore everytime a correct standing / viewpoint and a very good example is indeed the systemd-project as its makers and developers ignore the basic criticism for years now. That brought us even now a vendor lock-in in many distributions!

31 (edited by throgh 2019-12-19 11:54:56)

Free software is also about questioning privileges and sharing them, so everybody is able to participate. No exclusions to be made, the absolute principle for having equal rights and freedom for every being here on the blue planet called "earth"! This starts with questioning language, goes over with habits and ends all with accommodativeness, because this has got a price to be paid and it is getting way too high. Just because you are not offended by some wordings being called does not mean everybody else is also not offended. Questioning can be inclusion and contrary to exclusion, being just exclusive as proprietary software is and patents are all the time. Stop with ignorance as it is time to get out of accommodativeness! wink

And the next project receiving donations from a company is Krita. The problem itself is not only being dependent on some company. It is even more the upcoming idea of being "selected" - which brings back the spectre of "authority". And soon the spectrum is upside down as being not "free as in freedom" and just more "open-source". Yeah, being pragmatic is just the way doing for many and it is just the first step of failure for being just open for the individual freedom instead for everyone else.

Yes the funding does not mean that Krita is now "owned" by Epic - the company done the mentioned donation - but as this news also gives just an insight of being into the sphere of capitalism, which only knows the following superlative: Bigger, better, greater!

Do you think being just with an alternative ROM in usage is getting you free from dependencies? No, at last having Coreboot or even better Libreboot installed is getting you a little more independent from proprietary firmware-blobs. But at last the whole x86-platform (including x86_64) is completely damaged and won't recover from all the flaws companies like Intel and AMD has done for so long.

And the Linux-kernel is dying, a very slow but painful death. What does this mean? Well, it'll become more and more part of just an open-source ecosystem, far away from free software. We should face the facts: The time is up and the plans for HyperbolaBSD are needed. Throwing many packages away as they are just enforcing dependencies instead being minimalistic.

34 (edited by zapper 2019-12-21 22:55:42)

throgh wrote:

Do you think being just with an alternative ROM in usage is getting you free from dependencies? No, at last having Coreboot or even better Libreboot installed is getting you a little more independent from proprietary firmware-blobs. But at last the whole x86-platform (including x86_64) is completely damaged and won't recover from all the flaws companies like Intel and AMD has done for so long.

And the Linux-kernel is dying, a very slow but painful death. What does this mean? Well, it'll become more and more part of just an open-source ecosystem, far away from free software. We should face the facts: The time is up and the plans for HyperbolaBSD are needed. Throwing many packages away as they are just enforcing dependencies instead being minimalistic.

I agree, HyperbolaBSD is a good way to go. The kernel linux and GNU the os are slowly dying a death worthy of fools.

They don't take the threat to their cause seriously and for that reason, they will die. If they do not change course soon...

I really hope a new foundation starts which has 5 FREEDOMS not 4 and that it has more power than the previous one ever had before.

Like the GNU Organization only way better.

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!

35 (edited by throgh 2019-12-21 23:28:03)

zapper wrote:

I agree, HyperbolaBSD is a good way to go. The kernel linux and GNU the os are slowly dying a death worthy of fools.

They don't take the threat to their cause seriously and for that reason, they will die. If they do not change course soon...

I really hope a new foundation starts which has 5 FREEDOMS not 4 and that it has more power than the previous one ever had before.

Like the GNU Organization only way better.

I hope GNU will remain and will transform into a more decentralized structure, being independent from some "big names" and being more into critical thinking of individuals, being in contact and trying to have discussion about without forgetting the basics: Freedom and privacy for every being, not only for "selected" ... just for everybody. Being modular and small in dependencies! And if this means to stay away from the so-called upcoming challenges like "big data" (buzzword bingo), it is a good one. So the freedom not to use packages and programs instead of enforcing even more dependencies.

36 (edited by throgh 2019-12-21 23:47:23)

It is not about hating something. It is about being for inclusion instead of exclusion. That's the point and when using systemd it is about exlusive and last but not least exclusion. The freedom to deny the usage of one module in favor of another one, without any further negative or positive impact. Just about the favor and freedom of usage, just because every package and included maintainers can decide otherwise for the future getting corresponding packages more away from security, privacy and freedom.

When we talk about being "against" systemd it is about technical facts and the major issues are the concurrent handle in our global society. Instead of listening for criticism ignorance is coming up, talking about being PRO or ANTI. Well, speaking about myself: I couldn't care less about systemd! I just don't want to use it as it brings me far away from a small and minimalistic system.

There was a time when Linux (without GNU) and BSD could cooperate very close. But with systemd and many enhancements especially within the Linux-kernel both driven away more and more. So today we've got a mess of problems. In the end you are going to be ignored if you don't have a big "lobby" or you are speaking loud. So this is another wording for ANTI: You are ANTI when denying "progress", the reasoning behind is most without further interest. So I try to get away from being PRO or ANTI: I have just no interest in systemd and I have no interest getting proprietary software, being pragmatic is another thing I don't care of because best principles are lost on that way. And better to have an operating-system away from pragmatism instead of having the easy way. smile

As an addition and speaking about myself: There is no further balance. Even though I'm using old(er) proprietary classics this is just a shortening from myself and the exclusion I've made for myself. But in the end: Every pragmatic touch will get me away from freedom, privacy and security. That's my point of view as "balance" won't help getting away from vendor lock-in and this is really a threat towards free software. Further names of distributions like Ubuntu or Manjaro don't represent the sphere of all possibilities and that's again a symptomatic of our times: Shortening of information. Linux is the kernel, GNU is a whole toolset and an approach towards a free operating-system and the distributions are some possible results, more or less better and sometimes worse like Ubuntu for example. big_smile

37 (edited by throgh 2019-12-22 02:29:51)

I don't know about most ANTI-systemd news. smile Most of the time I'll try to get myself out of this as I like facts and being modular is one example is for me reasonable as I can just use any further alternative. Some example from myself:

Starting with Ubuntu
Migration to elementaryOS
First tryout of Trisquel
Installation of Debian
Next tryout of Trisquel
Knowledge about Devuan
Evaluation for Trisquel and Parabola as point of interest
Parabola as some tryout in combination with Libreboot
Migration to Hyperbola

I've learned much within the last nine (ten) years. And I have no problems with systemd itself. I just don't think this is healthy course for free software being aware of inclusion instead exclusion. Because after all you don't include proprietary services (speaking about Google DNS or Facebook and others): In time they will consume more and more of your base as you have to approve your own internals more fitting towards them. That's the problem with evolving proprietary software and services like we have nowadays. That's the point to compare older proprietray software like used with the DOS-era or ROM-files from old consoles: They don't evolve further. There is no problem having a steady code-base being as free as possible without any further firmware-blobs for example. But with the Linux-kernel getting more and more away from basic prinicples of free, libre software you have even more work to do: Therefore you have on the one side "Linux" and on the other side "Linux-libre". The first named is full with proprietary firmware-blobs, the second one is up for a removal of those unsettling security-flaws. But "Linux-libre" will always stay behind and is just seen even within the Linux-community itself as some kind of outsider.

I think the BSD-side will handle the same as freedom-issues are not seen as being "progressive" is most of the time important. And it is all of the same: Take it, it is free! Well? Yes, may be but it is also freedom using other modules and that is getting even more complicated under Linux upcoming: The pragmatism has high costs after all and it took also long for myself to understand where essential problems are. It's the about proprietary hard- and software in combination. Yes, many packages are "free as in freedom" but regarding hardware the catastrophe is forseeable and so the same way around, the hardware is free or "free as in freedom" but then software is proprietary or got a vendor lock-in as some authority decides what "we" should and could use and what "we" don't. And therefore the described problem results on bigger level: The first and major failure was and is to involve companies into the development of the Linux-kernel. Sooner or later you'll have additions like HDCP as those companies oppose the idea of freedom, privacy and security if there is a risk for their business-model and everything is mastered under the big wordings of capitalism. Progress is not for the beings on earth, progress is done for economy, for earning money and long after this there are some ethical thoughts perhaps - the big fail of everything. The reasoning is damaged and was damaged long before. With the Linux-kernel getting more famous it was just about time getting damages into the ecosystem itself as major distributions accepted bloatware-packages like PulseAudio, Avahi, D-Bus and systemd. Instead of being independent as most of them are being done by just one company itself and the dream of any standardization is another failure is this is not done on package-level. The same thought being completely nonsense about programming-languages: Java is not free and .net is just another failed one.

38 (edited by throgh 2019-12-22 02:10:25)

One of the best question is the one asking about the reasoning behind a removal of a package from the repositories within a free, libre distribution - the other ones (distributons like Ubuntu or Manjaro) don't even care about freedom issues at all and a removal is just done when no further progress is seen for an amount of time. As I've learned even now about the removal of blueman: Better to ask for security flaws or freedom issues. Another point being is the price to pay and Bluetooth has this amount as any other technology these days - what did I think of having this just free and libre, even "secure"? Erm, no? Think again! *sigh*

Learned therefore: Not too late for a removal and better now doing this. Thanks to zapper for the good lecture.

39 (edited by throgh 2019-12-22 03:07:34)

And one last addition when reading through a concurrent issue created for the removal of Java from the package gettext: The FSF has failed as the GNU-project itself is in a very problematic state.

The reasoning behind such hard sentence at all? The complete missed chance for asking questions, the right ones. Why including hard dependencies instead building on a modular base? Java was never free and libre software. Also the OpenJDK was never really free and the upcoming integration of web-appliances won't save us about major failures, really big ones in the future if we don't stop this course and take the chance for asking questions. First every individual on its own, second and furthermore organizatons like the FSF and the FSFE. And it won't help building some kind of free "Android" with Replicant - as the basic system itself is a failure - and a free application-repository is "nice" but even though also not following principles regarding freedom, privacy and security. Other way around applications and programs using YouTube, Twitter, Facebook and others should have been removed long ago from the repositories of F-Droid. Until you speak up against the trending of using "APP(s)" instead of "Applications" and "Software", integrating even more proprietary frameworks and definitions into environments being free once and having more vendor lock-in upcoming with bloatware-packages and software, you should start questioning your own principles, FSF and FSFE.

Yes, the freedoms and their definition is important. But where is the fifth freedom these days? And I haven't even started argumenting about DRM. wink
And therefore it is not helpful for having such integrations like invidious as the base service is and stays the same proprietary inclusion - just with another interface above. Nice, but not helping on the freedom and privacy side as the wrong paradigm is furthermore hardened instead of being questioned. Creating so-called "alternatives" - we had this already here in the thread - is the same flaw and failure as it is creating just more of the same, getting the false paradigms even more within free, libre software, copying known ones instead of creating new ones: You want to "share" something on Diaspora or Mastodon? Just go ahead, mutiplying even more buzzwords and all for the users to click on "like". Well, if you think this is our future? Being some kind of "machine", a "human resource"? I just don't think so and fighting against this is very important! Own thoughts count instead of multiplying some of others for sharing some kind of video-content from "YouTube". In fact a desaster for everyone in the end as those anti-social networks won't do any good and instead bringing major issues even more up to be seen everywhere.

It's about investing as much time as possible and those services being created being that way you stay longer, just a little bit and then even more.

41 (edited by throgh 2019-12-22 21:35:40)

But the problem about "healthy human thing" is: Which definition is correct? Don't get me wrong as I don't want to provoke something here. I just want to give an example of how deep the toxic waste goes as I've had so many discussions around that and until today nothing more than two phrases:

It is the way it is and this is good as it grants ME a good life. So I don't question anything!

Or the alternative:

This is the way of doom for everyone and an "elite" is defining it as they want to elliminate us all.

It's about the absolute superlative as every reasonable argument about machine learning, usage of proprietary services and many elements coming up with it out of capitalism ends up with such answering or is ignored in the end. The maximal egocentrism or the maximum about defining responsibility outside from ourselves. This started back around 15 years ago with discussions about upcoming DRM-mechanics regarding Steam, went further with the centralized services and media and ended with libre services only making usage of those material and trying to copy handling and known false paradigms. The problem: There is no "healthy definition" is this not easy to be defined. So that's the reasoning about my posting earlier: It's a discussion and literally "fight" on daily base, as democracy is the same to be engaged for. Questioning own positions, doing this with talking about it as this is the reason for the existance of this thread: It is not easy but it is worthy doing it. Protecting freedom, privacy and security, not because there is just one ultimate reasoning, more because it is needed for every being to choose possibilities.

42 (edited by throgh 2019-12-22 22:40:25)

But yet another "construction site": Trademarks, patents and in general the usage of "ideas" in common. First of all: Copyleft stays wide above Copyright. We should therefore define first what copyleft even means and includes:

"Copyleft is the practice of offering people the right to freely distribute copies and modified versions of a work with the commitment that the same rights be preserved in derivative works created later on."

Therefore is a difference about permissive licensing as those are granted with minimal requirements as possible. While copyleft licensing also forbids the usage under proprietary circumstances - derivates must use the same licensing as the original before - permissive licensing does not forbid modifications under proprietary circumstances and furthermore building more on top of it. The major issue stays the blind spot within: The Linux Foundation is there to protect the trademarks, suggesting to protect users, sublicensee holders and the public in general from "unauthorized and confusing uses of the trademark and authorizes proper uses of the mark". So in fact distributions can exist because of those granted "rights". But what could happen if the holding owner is changing? Meaning  therefore Linus Torvalds? Rights granted can be also taken away and that's the basic argumentation why patents are nothing more than a really bad idea at all - same to "trademarks".

I could also play devil's advocate by questioning: Why does some companies "love Linux" so much these days - no, not only Microsoft? And why do we just play this stupid games full with toxic waste as those rights can change, driven far away? What about the GNU-project stating the Linux-kernel is just another element and can be changed? What about Hurd as we have absolutely need for alternatives? And why are those names just "trademarks"? Just for the protection? Understood, but this can go terribly wrong in the future. So yeah: GNU/Linux and especially GNU/Linux-libre is granting some possibilities. But with looking on the details there is much to loose and lost even now as the kernel goes more and more downside and it's only a matter of time entering even more "players" on the stage of getting even more proprietary and far away from a community-project with a stable base. In the end it's just a wording and cheap phrase: Hey using Linux and being for free software in some way. Question is: Which way exactly? By using Steam, Spotify, Skype and others on top of some declared trademark being "free for defined usage" by now? Well, no?

43 (edited by throgh 2019-12-23 07:07:49)

Ah and a good "proof of concept" for double-standardization and the literally proprietary make-out for free software coming up through the back door here to find: http://blog.supertuxkart.net/2019/12/su … idate.html

I take it within here as quote:

After 1.1 is out, we plan on asking past STK contributors to dual-license the game under both the GPLv3 (the game's current license) and the MPL, to give the project more freedom to deal with some software repositories like Steam, while sticking to free software.

Okay, sharing on a proprietary platform - Steam is nothing else - will do more serious damage as the thinking is just shortened by now and people tend to have it just "quick and easy". There we have it: The modern thought in literally microblogged (buzzword-bingo) form! Yeah, on Steam you can get also "free, libre software" these days, so it must be also "free" in some way? roll

Come on, people: I know it is not easy for being believable but do you really want to make it so simple for companies entering even more safe space, taking away rights, freedom and security? Just for a shortened buyout and some bonus-points from people being lazy to manage their local installed software and operating-system? And there is no "get the users where they are" as in the end Linux is just even more filled up with false reasoning and features done without thinking completely throughout - PulseAudio is quite an astonishing example for this. Just as always just saying as the damage is even more clearly visible and getting more irreversible. And capitalism is incompatible with free, libre culture and software. So the major goal is to getting this done from within as the projects ruining themselves because of their quick statements, implementations and missed out stated prinicples, being true to a real believable way for a free culture in general! Where would we have been without support from companies? Perhaps not here discussing and showing failures of free, libre software, falling apart from within by enforcing false dependencies, bloatware and much more. But yeah, that's just a theory by now. Perhaps the Linux-kernel would have been not on its current point? Would be better having it where Hurd is, so some projects would have been never initiated - talking again from the bloatware-site - and we would have a complete modular userpace today. Yes, features like Bluetooth and others perhaps would have not even entered, no automatic mounting and Samba-shares from proprietary systems also. But would this really be bad and having therefore a really free, libre system from the community for the community? wink

But what should I write when reading throughout profiles on Diaspora for example (yes, can be done without any further login / account)? People talk about the "Pine Phone", with using an article from the platform "FOSSMint". Also on "FOSSMint": An article named Install popular Windows-Apps on Linux. Okay? Point given and understood? Or should I be clearer about it? What is an "app"? And why should I bothering to install proprietary software - not talking about a local prefix on Wine for classic games so far? Why is snap nowadays a "good" alternative for the distributions package-repository? And talking about snap: Since when represents Ubuntu the complete Linux-community? In fact this news-portal (FOSSMint) looks so full with false and easy-going articles that I'd better wait looking onto the "Pine Phone" itself. Being believable for free, libre soft- and hardware, not just only some "Linux" in another proprietary context.

44 (edited by throgh 2019-12-23 19:28:37)

One point about choice: It is correct as the usage of one platform is for the moment the individual choice. But going further: The more participants the more the "standardization" goes on and we've reached this long ago as it is now even common to use those platforms and indiviual decisions otherwise getting just even more complicated at all. In the end this becomes some enforced choice as you have no further possibilities. This principle is perfect demonstrated throughout systemd. At one point you've reached the climax where no choice is possible. And systemd was never about "choice", same with Steam or Spotify.

I meant a choice for yourself: Of course you can do as you like and choose otherwise. The problem starts when searching for people doing this with you together, for example "playing together". With this back in mind it'll get even more complicated as the comparison is not that easy as Steam and Spotiry are just different types of platforms. But the first one named is definitely getting a real problem for people with interests in games, free culture and libre operating-systems. wink

Don't know the exact tactics behind the usage of reCaptcha, but yes: Traning an AI-system behind is one thing and therefore Google pays also a lot as it seems, The question: Where does this lead to? And what about the moment having this possibilities within wrong hands? In normal ways I wouldn't dare to build up such black-white drawings, but when having this technology in the hands of literally wrong people, groups and parties it scares all out of me. And as always: With games you could catch the most.

You're right: Too much negativity is not good, for everything. It's just not good the way it is mostly and therefore I'm carrying out thoughts with the hope for a change. Hyperbola is such a change and just a nice place, same with other projects like Libreboot. And it's better having a small community instead the big one. But perhaps there will be changes? That's the point fighting for with arguments, even though we' re being viewed as "radicals". big_smile

throgh, thanks for nice talk, btw. i have got a newbie question related to computing, because i wondered if i should power off computer when i go to sleep or just put it to sleep mode?? Is it better if the device is turned on all the time??? Does shutting it down wear cpu off????

When using a mobile device you should have look after the energy and therefore it is good running in different styles of usage. Using therefore the hibernation and the classic poweroff could be helpful to have a longer battery-life. In time most cycles are otherwise lost way too fast. So I have good experiences with this combination, running very good especially with light desktop-environments like icewm here.

Merry christmas to you, your friends and your loved ones, cynicfm! smile
So to everybody else reading this here, either member within the community or just an anonymous driveby visitor.

This is not bound onto "christmas" itself, more onto a general pointout: Take your time and think about an inclusive language, without insults or worse phrasing and words! If you think otherwise with elaborated steps, for example with your own computer-software and data, then why don't you do this with your language? Being inclusive is one first step further towards free culture and society. As your own freedom is not more important in comparison to the one of others here on the blue planet. Respect and diversity, a good start for being believable!

I dont' write down further phrases used on these days, so better: Have some nice time and take it for some thoughts, will help ... definitely! smile

49 (edited by throgh 2019-12-26 00:54:50)

Just a personal view as it is part of this thread to criticizing the shortening and reducing complexity to fit on a small message: The best example of this is and stays Diaspora. An anti-social network being free and libre, using decentralization in a short-term to "share" postings and comments. While I personally like the basic ideas and I had a long time for about three years participating, I cannot be clear enough as of today: Those so-called free networks are just more of the same!

Yes, there are some interesting articles and discussions from time to time. But you can use this without any further login. And speaking from two sides now. Technically you are neither free nor independent when using Diaspora:

• Where is the server with all appliances hosted?

• What about other participants sharing content from proprietary services including everything else like trackers?

• What about other nodes where proprietary services are included?

But that's just a short list about the technical part, besides when not part of a decentralized network you can also create your own with pure and simplified HTML. There are enough projects out making this possible, also without further dependencies for example Ruby, Redis or even more to be installed. The issue with the installation itself? The more complex a system becomes the more failures can occur and Mastodon is another but good example, besides using also packages like nodejs.

And there is also the social component as Diaspora has a really long history with participants sharing just pure hatred, harassment or even more worse things and thoughts like antisemitic dogwhistles, racism, homophobe pictures, transphobe claims and sexism at the highest levels possible. The problem lies within the claim freedom of speech and believe me or not: You cannot discuss with those people. It is impossible and trying to create a safe space is the same there. Most time I've tried to discuss with people, writing thoughts like I do now here within this thread, also with pilosophical touch and not with the claim to know everything. But this was ignored and also with countering arguments against hatred. Ignoring hatred and harassment is even more worse as this a direct influence to the group and furthermore the global society outside as false information don't stay there in a closed bubble. This is carried outside like I've said before in the previous posting: An inclusive language is based on reflection and you cannot reach reflection with the habit of just being an "influencer" or participant of anti-social networks with the hunt for highscores and numbers instead. So those systems are more of the same false paradigm - they even copy this instead creating their own rules and a phrase like be excellent to each other won't stop demagogues, racists or sexists as they think being "excellent" - and many people looking away when hatred is posted. Not all, of course. But fighting this from within won't help! Either you fail completely, including depressive and misanthropic thoughts, or you stay also on some kind of hunting for highscores - I came to the conclusion not using those systems and services, wether being free, libre or not as they don't really help and instead make it even more worse. The only effect is: You can see hatred and harassment getting more intense and this is just helpful getting more into an own reflection creating an anti-thesis to "social influence", being not like this and questioning yourself - but this doesn't help the victims of harassment created also throughout those "services" as the proprietary ones live on with intense emotions like hate (disgusting but that's a big problem of our times).

Therefore just anti-social networks, either free or proprietary making no further difference in the end and yes I know this seems unfair and reducing from myself, but I'm doing this with a concrete background and knowledge. In the end you can also just use other systems when you want articles and information from portals all over the world, as there are news-aggregators available for example. And come on: Only because you like one article posted by a person you don't know makes the next posting with perhaps any antisemitic dogwhistling or picture not better, even more worse when you don't step up and ignore it by yourself as you do exactly in the moment without commenting and trying to use concrete counter arguments for the false claims. This would be then the first one and I assure you: There will be more after an amount of time. You want to make a difference - okay, you are reading here and reached out for this distribution and website, so I think you want: Create your own ones, real socializing does not need algorithms or in the wording "followers" and software can be helpful but not with being some copied paradigm because the people want to be free of criticism (that's not freedom of speech by the way) and the demagogues know this: That's the reasoning for them to multiply effects with usage of those free anti-social networks and pretending to be just another participant while not willing to discuss anything. wink

50 (edited by throgh 2019-12-26 18:39:33)

Free Software ≠ Free Culture

It is disappointing as even the FSF doesn't recognize the major issues we have: Even though "free, libre software" is used the problem stays with free culture in a whole. You want examples?

Arx Libertatis, reimplemented engine for the roleplaying-game Arx Fatalis and the engine itself is free, libre software, the assets and content itself not.

Same with OpenMW, Yamagi Quake 2 and many more classic / older games under GNU/Linux. This is another failure of the FSF and FSFE itself. We want more? We have to do it on our own as major points and texts given here from myself in this thread are just free and libre, public domain. wink
We want a free culture? FSF and FSFE won't be our partners at all as some publications don't even use copyleft licensing.