Re: Milky Way Roadmap

So are we far away from 0.3 release ?
Because using a 3 months old outdated browser is not comforting to say the least. I see the iceweasel is receiving updates but it is only for testing.

aether wrote:

Because using a 3 months old outdated browser is not comforting to say the least. I see the iceweasel is receiving updates but it is only for testing.

Milky Way v0.3 release will be made between 15~18th September.

Emulatorman wrote:
aether wrote:

Milky Way v0.3 release will be made between 15~18th September.

Ok, I think I can handle the wait big_smile I have 3 machines to upgrade so it will be a long morning when it is delivered.

aether wrote:

If there were any important security fixes, wouldn't they be backported to v0.2? If updates are waiting in testing for a long time, I believe them not to be related to browser vulnerabilities smile

30 (edited by zapper 2019-09-16 02:55:17)

koszko wrote:
aether wrote:

If there were any important security fixes, wouldn't they be backported to v0.2? If updates are waiting in testing for a long time, I believe them not to be related to browser vulnerabilities smile

That is why I use noscript pretty much on every web browser at the moment. 

As long as you use noscript and httpsalways, you should be fine for most things... and also ublockorigin. smile

Edit: actually I always do regardless ;p

its a good precaution even with allow all globally dangerous scripts.

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!

zapper wrote:

[...] I use noscript pretty much on every web browser at the moment. 

As long as you use noscript and httpsalways, you should be fine for most things... and also ublockorigin. smile

Edit: actually I always do regardless ;p

its a good precaution even with allow all globally dangerous scripts.

True, NoScript has clickjacking protection (and also some other stuff, I believe) included, that works even when scripts are allowed.

One sad thing is that even with an ethical distro like Hyperbola, it is still extremely easy to fall into the javascript trap and only the most determined users will actually block all js, which is especially hard now, that so many sites don't work without it...

Milky Way v0.3 has been released. See our official announcement for further details. Meanwhile, our live images will be arrived in the next hours.

Our new isos are available, however not all mirrors are updated yet to Milky Way v0.3. Currently only our mirror works. Anyway, i sent an email to the mirrors maintainers to solve it.

Emulatorman wrote:

Our new isos are available, however not all mirrors are updated yet to Milky Way v0.3. Currently only our mirror works. Anyway, i sent an email to the mirrors maintainers to solve it.

Seems to be fixed mostly, unless I am missing something. smile

35 (edited by throgh 2019-12-27 17:43:27)

Is the roadmap so far relevant and will be followed? Especially the integration of alternative INIT-systems would be therefore interesting as Hyperbola started with supporting INIT-freedom and for me it is one major important point. smile

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

Well, is there anybody active here as the development is not very active within the last weeks? Please don't let this project going to be "dead".

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

37 (edited by zapper 2020-01-15 00:49:33)

aether wrote:

Didn't you know? 0.3 IS out already...

I guess you missed the announcement on the home page or something.

Yes, by all means upgrade post haste after following migration guide in the wiki.

38 (edited by aether 2020-01-15 06:10:56)

zapper wrote:
aether wrote:

Yes, by all means upgrade post haste after following migration guide in the wiki.

Posted 2019-09-14 01:21:57 yikes
I upgraded a few months ago already. But now I'm considering switching to Gentoo.. as I can achieve everything I want with USE flags etc.. and especially get latest security updates and toolchains.

aether wrote:
zapper wrote:
aether wrote:

Posted 2019-09-14 01:21:57 yikes
I upgraded a few months ago already. But now I'm considering switching to Gentoo.. as I can achieve everything I want with USE flags etc.. and especially get latest security updates and toolchains.

Okay, well I hope you reconsider whenever HyperbolaBSD comes out. It may be a while though. Depending on how many people work on it.

throgh wrote:

Well, is there anybody active here as the development is not very active within the last weeks? Please don't let this project going to be "dead".

Not dead, its just emulatorman is working more on HyperbolaBSD now.

Other devs are working on the GNU/Linux-Libre though I think.

41 (edited by zapper 2020-01-15 06:30:12)

throgh wrote:

Not dead, its just emulatorman is working more on HyperbolaBSD now.

Other devs are working on the Hyperbola GNU/Linux-Libre though I think.

Okay, thanks. I'm just not sure because there is nothing really to be seen within the repositories and regarding the roadmap I'd like to have 0.4 happening. So my question is changing therefore like this is going to be done or not until HyperbolaBSD is out.

Well, nothing happened on the concurrent acivities posted here. What is needed? Where is the problem? And please: What is the concurrent state of the roadmap here? Or do we have to face it and have Hyperbola being left at this point?

Yes, personally I like the idea of HyperbolaBSD. But it would be also nice having version 0.4 planned for 2020 or do we just stop here with 0.3?

throgh wrote:

Well, nothing happened on the concurrent acivities posted here. What is needed? Where is the problem? And please: What is the concurrent state of the roadmap here? Or do we have to face it and have Hyperbola being left at this point?

Yes, personally I like the idea of HyperbolaBSD. But it would be also nice having version 0.4 planned for 2020 or do we just stop here with 0.3?

I don't think 0.4 is possible without a lot of work unless he just plans to implement sndio and nothing else.  I would approve of that change, but ask him. wink

aka Emulatorman or if not him, Luke.

45 (edited by throgh 2020-01-26 11:51:25)

Okay, but I thought the forum is also for communication of the community and I'm afraid Hyperbola has not that big amount of people within - meaning users. Well at last it would be better to be clear because many anonymous readers also getting here and having not clear reading on what happens as the forums are very quiet and the things working on are on hold regarding GNU/Linux-libre (seems so). The last news-entry made it clear that in the future there will be no further Hyperbola based on Linux. But therefore this announced roadmap also was not taken back.

So what is the best way to communicate? As also the mailing-list is not available. And it gives the criticism also some kind of argument as I've mentioned it: People don't look at information with much amount of time, most want just shortened everything and when looking here they go away with a complete false impression and won't give it another chance. And we have unfinished entries within the listings and issues. sad

46 (edited by zapper 2020-01-26 23:32:45)

throgh wrote:

Okay, but I thought the forum is also for communication of the community and I'm afraid Hyperbola has not that big amount of people within - meaning users. Well at last it would be better to be clear because many anonymous readers also getting here and having not clear reading on what happens as the forums are very quiet and the things working on are on hold regarding GNU/Linux-libre (seems so). The last news-entry made it clear that in the future there will be no further Hyperbola based on Linux. But therefore this announced roadmap also was not taken back.

So what is the best way to communicate? As also the mailing-list is not available. And it gives the criticism also some kind of argument as I've mentioned it: People don't look at information with much amount of time, most want just shortened everything and when looking here they go away with a complete false impression and won't give it another chance. And we have unfinished entries within the listings and issues. sad

Yeah, I know which is why I am surprised Luke or Emulatorman hasn't stickied a topic about this... but he also needs more volunteers to contribute code for their new creation. Otherwise it will take 2 full years to complete HyperbolaBSD's alpha.

Keep the funds coming when possible though, because HyperbolaBSD sounds like it could be extremely important down the road for software security and freedom at the same time.

47 (edited by throgh 2020-01-28 09:57:50)

But for having funds there has to be also some kind of communication what is going on and about that I want to speak in general as the forums are very quiet, the issue-tracker and the todo-listings show up no progress and the mailinglist is malfunctioning with a generic 404. It is absolutely fine to develop and test, but it is better having clear information here for what is done next or even if the version 0.4 will ever happen as the community seems not that kind of big. Having also therefore messages about vulnerabilities is not the best insight, so community-members tend to look after alternatives instead of "helping"! Nobody is forced, but I think Hyperbola is needed even now with clear principles. Just an example: Looking around for getting out of DBUS-dependencies seems to be very much impossible right now, even on OpenBSD some packages and ports need PulseAudio for example.

And on the package-level: Even GuixSD is distributing Kodi for example. So there is really only Hyperbola being there just that kind of absolute strict regarding that. And on this level there are information needed, otherwise there will be misunderstanding about the targets of Hyperbola. Where the FSF and the FSFE are failing making clear standings I think we need just exactly this.

In fact my personal thought about Hyperbola is that this distribution / project is outstanding because of those strict principles to follow. There is the thought about a possible change in a world where most things done just commercial and with benefits for smaller groups instead of everyone. Same with OpenBSD or *BSD in general: Yes, free and open but also for commercial usage and development. In the long run we all had seen what results coming up! Do I therefore wish HyperbolaBSD? Of course. But also development for Linux-libre now for having a future base for BSD coming up. My proposal would therefore be to create smaller packages:

For example:

Version 0.3.1

• Integration of sndio

• Removal of PulseAudio

Version 0.3.2

• Removal of Java

• D-Bus mitigation

Version 0.3.3

• Removal of Mono

• Removal of Avahi

throgh wrote:

But for having funds there has to be also some kind of communication what is going on and about that I want to speak in general as the forums are very quiet, the issue-tracker and the todo-listings show up no progress and the mailinglist is malfunctioning with a generic 404. It is absolutely fine to develop and test, but it is better having clear information here for what is done next or even if the version 0.4 will ever happen as the community seems not that kind of big. Having also therefore messages about vulnerabilities is not the best insight, so community-members tend to look after alternatives instead of "helping"! Nobody is forced, but I think Hyperbola is needed even now with clear principles. Just an example: Looking around for getting out of DBUS-dependencies seems to be very much impossible right now, even on OpenBSD some packages and ports need PulseAudio for example.

throgh, developing new code from scratch for HyperbolaBSD isn't easy as you think, coadde and me are working 8 hours everyday for that, independent of our job outside. So, it takes days/weeks to get the parts of the new code ready before pushing to the git repositories. We have plans to create a new thread/guide to encourage users help us in the HyperbolaBSD development process soon.

By the way, the mailing list isn't working well with OpenSMTPD, if you know some alternative of the GNU Mailman, please let me know.

throgh wrote:

In fact my personal thought about Hyperbola is that this distribution / project is outstanding because of those strict principles to follow. There is the thought about a possible change in a world where most things done just commercial and with benefits for smaller groups instead of everyone. Same with OpenBSD or *BSD in general: Yes, free and open but also for commercial usage and development. In the long run we all had seen what results coming up! Do I therefore wish HyperbolaBSD? Of course. But also development for Linux-libre now for having a future base for BSD coming up. My proposal would therefore be to create smaller packages:

Currently, heckyel is packaging all Emacs environment for Hyperbola GNU/Linux-libre. Since we are so focused on the HyperbolaBSD development, maybe you could consider help us by continuing our Roadmap for Hyperbola GNU/Linux-libre through our community git instance.

Thanks for the feedback and I'll take also the criticism back for personal reflections if needed. It was not meant to be disrespectful as I know myself how hard it could get to develop something from scratch - being into parts of development. It is just about my intention to prevent false impressions and information going around. As interested people get more on how to look after the development in general and that's the point I wanted to speak about. Much appreciated!

I'll have a look into the further development and start therefore with some slightly small and little additions. smile Of course waiting for the information about HyperbolaBSD for doing more!

Afterwards I'll take also a look onto the mailman-issue you've mentioned. But for this into another thread!

I'm wondering whether there is any need for help with documentation. I've been noticing other people on the forums besides myself coming here without previous experience in a pacman based distro and bumping into some of the same problems. It may have been fun replying to these posts in the past as a way to combine socializing and contributing to a project, but that isn't the most efficient use of other people's time and bandwidth.

Is there any need for a native English speaker with no formal IT training and a few hours of extra time?

I wish I could contribute funds, but nobody has much of those right now and I am no exception.