1 (edited by rachad 2020-01-31 21:01:41)

Topic: installing hyperbola on my new x200

hello everyone

im trying to install hyperbola from almost 2 weeks now
it took me this much cause im a total noob in unix systems in general and i need some help to get it runing

i wanna keep it as minimal as possible
issues im facing at the moment :

#) X server doesnt start with cwm "calm windown mannager" i installed xenocara-server and xenocara-xinit
but its not working maybe some config i have to do?

im trying to set network connection using only dhcpcd and wpa_supplicant with dnscrypt-proxy
#) wen i start dnscrypt-proxy and type
rc-service dnxcrypt-proxy status   i get   status: crashed

i think those are the issues that im trying to fix right now i dont wanna make things more confusing so if anyone could  help me setting dhcp with wpa_supplicant so that wen i move with my pc i can connect to wifi easy and safely
im also planing on installing this https://forums.hyperbola.info/viewtopic.php?id=312

those 2 weeks i installed and deleted hyperbola many times i also tried i3_wm and i messed up installing the network from terminal i installed netifrc iproute2 then deleted them cause i think i dont need them im starting to learn a bit smile

Re: installing hyperbola on my new x200

i understand that everyone is busy doing something so if someone could just help me with cwm issue
and i will research the configuration of the other stuff

help the new noob for GNU sake smile

Hello,

have you tried to install the meta-package xorg-server? And afterwards it would be better having also xorg-video-intel installed so the correct driver can be found. Regarding dnscrypt-proxy I have to do another deeper research.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

i didn't find xorg-server so i installed xenocara-server and xenocara-xinit i also tried with and without xorg-video-intel the X server tries to start then shutdown. the reason i removed xorg-video-intel was this :

Fourth generation Intel GPUs users (GMA 3000 from 2006 and newer) may want to use the default Xenocara driver, rather than installing xorg-video-intel driver package. For more information, see modesetting(4).
u can find it here https://wiki.hyperbola.info/doku.php?id … s:xenocara

5 (edited by throgh 2020-02-02 23:35:46)

Thanks for the link, but I know about the entry: That's the reasoning I had written down the name of the package and you could also tryout packages with xenocara or xorg. I have Hyperbola GNU/Linux-libre 0.3 installed with xorg-driver-intel. wink

But first you could define what your favorite environment should look alike: So what desktop-environment do you think of using? Is there the need for dbus? What display-manager is therefore needed?

And perhaps you could check the runlevels boot and default with sudo rc-status boot and sudo rc-status default.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

well im trying to go as minimal as possible this is why im installing cwm and without a display manager but i have no idea if i will need dbus smile
wen i check runlevels i find in rc-status boot : hwclock /hostname /dmseg /modules /dmcrypt /lvm /root /swap /urandom /sysctl /bootmisc /keymaps  >>> [ started ]  but loopback shows [ stoped ]
and for rc-status default : udev /metalog /dbus /iptables /keymaps /lm_sensors  >>> [ started ] but dnscrypt-proxy [ crashed ]

i also found that /sbin permissions is 700  and i think it was usr/bin with 740 this was found from installing something pacman showed me those issues
can this cause problems and why is it like that

Okay, thanks for the feedback. But to get xenocara started you should tryout first installing the meta-package itself. Afterwards you can also cleanup again and remove unused packages. What do you install when using pacstrap? My list for the runlevel boot:

hwclock
hostname
dmesg
modules
dmcrypt
lvm
root
swap
sysctl
bootmisc
keymaps
urandom
net.lo
loopback

dbus seems installed already at default - showing in your listing.

The different permissions from packages came up with the rework of being FHS-compliant and some packages were not rebuilt, so the permissions are not set correctly.

what do u mean by the meta-package what do i have to install? i also have no idea what pacstrap installed i just typed this wen installing from live usb # pacstrap /mnt
The different permissions need to be fixed right? maybe thats why i have issues!

Well, different permissions can be an issue, but I have doubts about that for now - should do another testing round when finished with first tryouts on OpenBSD. But coming up to explanations about meta-packages: That's a group of complete packages to be installed. You can use therefore xenocara or xorg for the further trying. Yes, there are some packages also being installed breaking the minimalistic approach. But you could remove them afterwards.

Regarding pacstrap a recommendation: I'm using for my installation ...

pacstrap /mnt base base-devel wpa_supplicant grub

From the installation-guide:

You can install additional packages passing base and the names of these packages as arguments after the root directory of the new installation (all packages from the base group are installed if no package is specified).

Same principle with the names mentioned: base is for example a meta-package including the absolute needed packages for the installation.

yeah i know your trying OpenBSD smile helping me is already great i also dont need to finish this installation fast im learning from it so take your time.
questions i have for now: should i go with a new fresh installation?
and will pacstrap /mnt alone install more packages or passing base will do that?

so whats the diffrence betwin pacstrap /mnt and pacstrap /mnt base

I love to help because Hyperbola has such a nice, little community with outstanding people helping each other. smile
Let's learn together so you can create a nice, minimalistic installation at all - that's also a major goal as I even see bloated packages back in the BSD-world and the idea behind HyperbolaBSD is even more great under this perspective.

you could tryout a fresh installation, but before it would be interesting just to use xenocara or xorg as complete installation. What happens? Can you run cwm after that?

I think pacstrap /mnt and pacstrap /mnt base is more or less the same. But with the usage of base-devel you've got already everything else for building your own packages later on. smile

it did work installing all what comes with xenocara runs cwm but like you said this break the minimalistic approach that i was trying to go for
still have dnscrypt-proxy not starting
and the loopback is also not starting i think after deleting netifrc caused that ifconfig is missing
wich means net-tools right?

Okay, now having cwm running you can try removing parts of that meta-package called xenocara one by one. I know this is not the best way but other way would be looking into the callstack of the X-server when trying to run and looking for error-messages (using the logging-file under /var/log/ for Xorg). I think you could also have a look onto the concurrent modules being loaded: sudo modprobe loop

After having those points cleared up we can have a closer look onto dnscrypt-proxy. Doing this together! smile

i think removing parts of the xenocara meta-packages and testing is better for a noob like me wink
i also fixed the loopback not starting by installing net-tools cause i found ifconfig missing.

i will probably come back tomorrow for dnscrypt-proxy. thank you for your help so far! smile

Thanks for the feedback: Cool solution with net-tools and good one for others with same problems so needed packages for different usecases are more clear.

well i removed what was not needed but i found that cwm can start with xenocara-font-bitstream-75dpi or xenocara-font-bitstream-100dpi
i dont know wich one should i keep removing both stops cwm keeping one make it work but what are they for and wich one is the best?

so for now 2 issues remain the files permissions and dnscrypt-proxy!

offtopic note!

why there is only you throgh who is trying to help smile and only few people active in this community this is verry bad, compared to other distributions this project roadmap is the best in the libre softhware in my point of view.
i hope more people join to contribute and help in this freedom fight!

rached wrote:

well i removed what was not needed but i found that cwm can start with xenocara-font-bitstream-75dpi or xenocara-font-bitstream-100dpi
i dont know wich one should i keep removing both stops cwm keeping one make it work but what are they for and wich one is the best?

so for now 2 issues remain the files permissions and dnscrypt-proxy!

Okay let's start with dnscrypt-proxy, because this issue seems more serious for now from my point of view. Also noting: Packages with different permissions need definitely a rebuilt and this is better done later on.

When having issues with OpenRC-scripts I take a look at Alpine Linux because they are also using OpenRC and have many good notes about the INIT-framework besides Gentoo itself. So when looking for dnscrypt-proxy I don't notice any further differences besides the folder for installation. Looking for the PKGBUILD at Hyperbola: https://git.hyperbola.info:50100/packag … y/PKGBUILD

This is under /usr/sbin/ so my first ideas would be:

rached wrote:

offtopic note!

why there is only you throgh who is trying to help smile and only few people active in this community this is verry bad, compared to other distributions this project roadmap is the best in the libre softhware in my point of view.
i hope more people join to contribute and help in this freedom fight!

Well, the community is very small for now. This has some advantages because we have a friendly zone here ... and yes, also disadvantages because the forum is quiet. But I think the same about Hyperbola: This distribution and the planning is very strict bound to principles regarding freedom and libre software without making compromises. We need this and therefore also need progress within GNU/Linux-libre until BSD is ready. Upcoming problem is there again the size and people unwilling to recognize the strict principles because even OpenBSD accepts bloated software and problematic packages like "Chromium".

thanks for the feed back smile im planing to make a fresh install of hyperbola after fixing the issues
i checked the file under /etc/conf.d/ its the same as https://git.hyperbola.info:50100/packag … roxy.confd
how do i activate the user-profile for running the daemon?
and does dns-crypt start from my user or from root by openrc!

rached wrote:

thanks for the feed back smile im planing to make a fresh install of hyperbola after fixing the issues
i checked the file under /etc/conf.d/ its the same as https://git.hyperbola.info:50100/packag … roxy.confd
how do i activate the user-profile for running the daemon?
and does dns-crypt start from my user or from root by openrc!

My guess - have to try it myself later: Just by uncommenting the corresponding files as the PKGBUILD and the built package also creates the user-profile with the corresponding group. So the daemon should be running from this profile when added and started! The file dnscrypt-proxy should be in etc/conf.d/.

throgh wrote:

My guess - have to try it myself later: Just by uncommenting the corresponding files as the PKGBUILD and the built package also creates the user-profile with the corresponding group. So the daemon should be running from this profile when added and started! The file dnscrypt-proxy should be in etc/conf.d/.

maybe i should do that i mean create the user-profile cause i didn't!

Hmm, there should be no further need to do that because the package itself does this: https://git.hyperbola.info:50100/packag … xy.install