1 (edited by aether 2018-09-28 09:44:42)

Topic: [Fixed] mount: special device /dev/mapper/RAID device does not exist

FIXED, see post #4

Hi,

When openrc starts, I have this "error" message :

mount: special device /dev/mapper/RAID device does not exist
Some local filesystem failed to mount

Once logged in, I have to click on the volume to mount it. The fstab entry is correct. With Parabola & systemd, the volume was mounted automatically.

Could dmraid openrc init script missing explain this error ? See : https://issues.hyperbola.info/index.php … task_id=34

Thanks for your help !

And as it is my first post here, thanks for your work ! Really promising distro. (I was a long time Parabola user !)

Re: [Fixed] mount: special device /dev/mapper/RAID device does not exist

aether wrote:

Hi,

When openrc starts, I have this "error" message :

mount: special device /dev/mapper/RAID device does not exist
Some local filesystem failed to mount

Once logged in, I have to click on the volume to mount it. The fstab entry is correct. With Parabola & systemd, the volume was mounted automatically.

Could dmraid openrc init script missing explain this error ? See : https://issues.hyperbola.info/index.php … task_id=34

Yes, that is the reason about the issue since there are missing OpenRC init scripts never developed by Gentoo. Therefore i'm developing the missing ones from scratch such as the DMs.

Thanks for your help !

And as it is my first post here, thanks for your work ! Really promising distro. (I was a long time Parabola user !)

You are welcome! smile

Thanks !

I see, I wish I could help. I don't know much about OpenRC init scripts though. I will try to learn a little bit.. tongue

4 (edited by aether 2018-09-28 09:45:34)

A small update to add some explanations as I fixed the issue.

My RAID6 volume (with LVM) wasn't mounting automatically because I was missing two hooks in mkinitpcio.conf.
So, if you're facing the same issue, add mdadm_udev and lvm2 before filesystems (so the array is assembled before)

/etc/mkinitcpio.conf :

HOOKS="base udev autodetect modconf block keyboard keymap consolefont mdadm_udev lvm2 filesystems fsck shutdown"

then run : mkinitcpio -p linux-libre-lts

mdadm_udev reads /etc/mdadm.conf so make sure your array is correctly configured there.
Example :

ARRAY /dev/md/0  metadata=1.2 UUID=**** name=****

Of course, make sure the fstab entry is configured as well.