Topic: mate-menu privacy issue

https://www.hyperbola.info/packages/com … mate-menu/

mate-menu can forward your search into web browser but uses nonprivacy search engine suffix eg google by default

the feature can be accesed in the bottom search icon next to searchbox

2 (edited by throgh 2020-06-03 21:38:20)

Re: mate-menu privacy issue

Thanks for the remark: The package and its source-code was moved to Github.
To recreate a real libre package there is only the AUR left where the package resides for now - it was removed from the community-repository in 2019 following the log. The concurrent problem seems to be into the file applications.py where Google is embedded onto hardcoding.

If there is interest I can tryou to recreate either the original or a newer version within the next days, removing the call towards Google. The question is: What alternative? Duck-Duck-Go is not really better general speaking. And searx got the same problem as others: Being dependant onto proprietary services, which lockout external access at any time. Instagram or YouTube doing this for Invidious and Bibliogram. In the end there is the question also of this package being helpful in general!

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

3 (edited by dikasp2 2020-06-04 05:46:59)

actually i have succesfully patch it with duckduckgo and post this soon, but the thing left is im still learning using git so its take more time pushing changes and update lately... sorry to made you going trough this issue @throgh tongue

im eager to made it into another search engine, just let me know what is the best option, or best yet: just strip this feature out the package, peole use web browser anyway. regarding usefulness i bet many mate fans out there really love this package smile ,i see some on post desktop forum entry
https://github.com/dikasetyaprayogi/dpcog/blob/master/mate-menu-privacy-issue-fix-thumb.png?raw=true

this is my complete patch summary

/usr/share/mate-menu/icons/search_engines/ : replaced google.ico with duckduckgo.ico
/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/mate_menu/plugins/applications.py : replaced Google, google, google.com, and google.ico, lines in the code with DuckDuckGo, duckduckgo, duckduckgo.com, and duckduckgo.ico
/usr/share/mate-menu/plugins/applications.py : replaced Google, google, google.com, and google.ico, lines in the code with DuckDuckGo, duckduckgo, duckduckgo.com, and duckduckgo.ico
/usr/share/mate-menu/applications.list : replaced firefox.desktop, and thunderbird.desktop ines in the code with iceweasel-uxp.desktop, and icedove-uxp.desktop

ensure all those things are all properly fixed, one lines wrong and it will render mate-menu unstartable

4 (edited by aloniv 2020-06-04 04:53:39)

What's the problem with pidgin.desktop? It's the first time I learned mate-menu has a web browser search (I never used it). Another option is to use brisk-menu (from AUR).

5 (edited by dikasp2 2020-06-04 05:48:43)

some paste typos though, nothing wrong with hyperbola version of pidgin

im updated the patch, thanks for the info

the package is a plugin of mate panel, so i think one version would still be usable for very long time reducing the maintenance effort

But your patch is related to a package without any sources for now to reconstruct it for another building. I think it is better having a complete buildout possible. I'll have a look to create the PKGBUILD!

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

7 (edited by dikasp2 2020-06-05 00:23:49)

sorry for the wait, will these be sufficient ?
sources_original.zip
sources_modified.zip
patch_summary.txt

Thanks, but thats again only working on the binary package itself. Creating a PKGBUILD is about doing an own building routine. So I'm working exactly on that creating a libre patchset and applying that when building the package itself. Here you can find more about that topic.

Besides would be better using a free hosting for GIT-repositories like LibreGit! smile

So here is my proposal as complete fileset. First the file libre.patch:

--- a/setup.py
+++ b/setup.py
@@ -93,7 +93,7 @@
    ]),
   ("share/mate-menu/icons/search_engines",
    [
-    "data/icons/google.ico",
+    "data/icons/gigablast.ico",
     "data/icons/wikipedia.ico",
    ]),
   ("lib/mate-menu",

--- a/mate_menu/plugins/applications.py
+++ b/mate_menu/plugins/applications.py
@@ -548,9 +548,9 @@
         text = "<b>%s</b>" % text

suggestionButton = SuggestionButton("list-add", self.iconSize, "")
-        suggestionButton.connect("clicked", self.search_google)
-        suggestionButton.set_text(_("Search Google for %s") % text)
-        suggestionButton.set_image("/usr/share/mate-menu/icons/search_engines/google.ico")
+        suggestionButton.connect("clicked", self.search_gigablast)
+        suggestionButton.set_text(_("Search Gigablast for %s") % text)
+        suggestionButton.set_image("/usr/share/mate-menu/icons/search_engines/gigablast.ico")
         self.applicationsBox.add(suggestionButton)
         self.suggestions.append(suggestionButton)

@@ -802,11 +802,11 @@
     def searchPopup( self, widget=None, event=None ):
         menu = Gtk.Menu()

-        menuItem = Gtk.ImageMenuItem(_("Search Google"))
+        menuItem = Gtk.ImageMenuItem(_("Search Gigablast"))
         img = Gtk.Image()
-        img.set_from_file('/usr/share/mate-menu/icons/search_engines/google.ico')
+        img.set_from_file('/usr/share/mate-menu/icons/search_engines/gigablast.ico')
         menuItem.set_image(img)
-        menuItem.connect("activate", self.search_google)
+        menuItem.connect("activate", self.search_gigablast)
         menu.append(menuItem)

menuItem = Gtk.ImageMenuItem(_("Search Wikipedia"))

--- a/data/applications.list
+++ b/data/applications.list
@@ -1,5 +1,5 @@
+location:/usr/share/applications/iceweasel-uxp.desktop
+location:/usr/share/applications/icedove-uxp.desktop
 separator

Followed up the file mate-menu.install:

post_install() {
  glib-compile-schemas usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas
}

post_upgrade() {
  post_install
}

post_remove() {
  post_install
}

Last but not least the PKGBUILD:

# Maintainer:
# Contributor: Balló György <ballogyor+arch@gmail.com>
# Contributor: Tobias Dausend <t.dausend@openmails.org>

pkgname=mate-menu
pkgver=17.04.3
pkgrel=1.hyperbola1
pkgdesc="Advanced menu for MATE Panel, a fork of MintMenu, without nonprivacy service-integration"
arch=('any')
url="https://github.com/ubuntu-mate/mate-menu"
license=('GPL')
depends=('mate-panel' 'python2-configobj' 'python2-gobject' 'python2-pyinotify' 'python2-xdg' 'python2-xlib' 'xdg-utils' 'python2-setproctitle')
makedepends=('python2-distutils-extra' 'python2-setuptools')
source=("$pkgname-$pkgver.tar.gz::https://github.com/ubuntu-mate/mate-menu/archive/$pkgver.tar.gz"
        "gigablast.ico::http://gigablast.com/favicon.ico"
        "libre.patch")
sha512sums=('eb12d504273264906100fe62e2fe5a2fbf913218a8d7775d08a2411990fbd566c78d1640acf17920fd2d7ccc7c8478da5f693bce5cb3bd4e6168a800488f07e0'
            '7c515c63c4d83817ae93c440ed9eb9bd1a853935acb62086b97e9d5ec7e8b8a5db4de4ad736d06df49aa0cae6703202454dae0ebf8bcfd0e83365dcfab17c968'
            '8cc3ca6c64aec6045714cea741e89dfe96d7ba9e897a1bc0bcd0557ab7e9377ebd55b7e830f2a6afd1ea63bdefeb62c20bda1fdb643c75a375f4b5ce71adcdb4')

prepare() {
  cd $pkgname-$pkgver
  sed -i 's@^#!.*python$@#!/usr/bin/python2@' lib/*.py

# delete resources and use correct ones for liberated version
  rm data/icons/google.ico
  cp $srcdir/gigablast.ico data/icons/gigablast.ico

# delete language-files
  rm -rf po

# applying patch
  patch -p1 -i ${srcdir}/libre.patch
}

package() {
  cd $pkgname-$pkgver
  python2 setup.py install --root="$pkgdir" --optimize=1
}

Yes, I've deleted the translation-files for now as this is just a demonstration. Downloading all the files within the CODE-tags as plain-text and executing the command makepkg will help to create the original package with the liberated information enhanced. I've used Gigablast in my example as this search-engine is the most "free and libre" to be found without being some kind of meta-search.

im agree with the proposal

so @throgh would you push it into hyperbola repos/builder

or there any packages/repository maintainer who i can ask with ?

actually im still novice into these archlinux hacking, please be patient with me smile

im really appreciate all the lesson you give, thank you big_smile

11 (edited by throgh 2020-06-06 10:17:27)

I'd like to add the translation-files into the libre.patch so we have the possibility to have the full package as the creator(s) want to have it installed. So the line

rm -rf po

is a quick "hacking". Could you help adding those - meaning to modify the snippets containing "Google" within the language-files? After that we can contact heckyel for example to add the new revision. In respect towards full information: Gigablast got the source-code here. Another possibility would be YaCy: https://yacy.searchlab.eu/

12 (edited by dikasp2 2020-06-06 13:52:39)

sure, just give me some time i will work on it

and what about private.sh ? i think it is a gigablast wraped up with nicer ui

"Gigablast has teamed up with Private Internet Access to create a next generation private search engine, private.sh.
read more"

13 (edited by throgh 2020-06-07 08:20:51)

Good news: Pushed in the repositories here. Thank you, Jesús and Gaming4JC!

Instead Gigablast there was Searx used. Absolutely cool! smile

So this issue should be colved: Thanks to you dikasp2 for pointing out and research the corresponding files.
That's a fine work of the community here!