1 (edited by i.ortega 2020-06-14 22:47:48)

Topic: HyperbolaBSD release model

All these months I have assumed HyperbolaBSD would use a OpenBSD-like release model, a new release every X months and pretty new software. However, today I have been thinking about it and I prefer to ask it here. Is Hyperbola going to keep the current release model where software is pretty old compared OpenBSD or is it going to have a ports tree like other BSDs do with pretty new software and pre-built binaries available?

Re: HyperbolaBSD release model

Personal perspective: What do you exactly mean with "old software"? The major problem - even with free software and projects these days - is the upcoming pragmatism and with it the integration of unfree services into originated free software itself. Need of an example? Just have a look onto gnome-online-accounts with the integration of proprietary services. So when using a ports-tree the major problem stays: What about freedom, privacy and security itself? And removing those interfaces version by version is very hard and unneeded work.

So those packages and software is in some way older, but what should be reasonable? Searching for the newest, bleeding-edge package? Well, this is long-time-support as mentioned here.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

So it is going to keep the current release model. That's fine. I thought you would maybe sync with OpenBSD's ports and just remove the non-free software, but if you are going to keep the LTS model I guess that's not the case.

Let's wait what the team says. smile It was just my personal opinion as user as I see problems upcoming with some major packages. But yes, creating a free port-tree? Why not? But let's not forget: Hyperbola is depending on us as community. So we can also help creating this what you described.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

And a little bit off topic, I have seen you tried OpenBSD on libreboot some time ago and you got xfce to work, but with some X problems. Any news on that?

Worked quite well so far, but I'm working on that also again within the upcoming time. Xfce is okay, but I want to tryout IceWM also or even better quite far more simplified desktop-environments. Even dbus should not be used! wink

It's a pity that LXDE is not ported onto OpenBSD for now.