Topic: wpa_supplicant stops at boot

Hello guys,

I have successfully installed Hyperbola on two of Thinkpads X60, by far the comfiest install (even compared to automated calamares).

I'm running with an issue with the wifi on one of them (the other I need to libreboot it so I can use non-propietary wifi cards) wpa_supplicant stops at boot.

when I do a

rc-status

, shows that it is "stopped", then when I try to start the service I get the next error:

Successfully initialized wpa_supplicant
Failed to open config file '/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf', error: No such file or directory
Failed to read or parse configuration '/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf'.
 * start-stop-daemon: failed to start `/sbin/wpa_supplicant'
 * Failed to start WPA Supplicant Daemon                                  [ !! ]
 * ERROR: wpa_supplicant failed to start

I checked my etc/ and indeed I'm missing the config for it, I briefly looked online and I can only find forum post with people who already have a config. I wish I could just copy and paste a random config online but I rather come to you guys for help.

Sidenote:
When I was doing the installation I noticed a funky error caused by a funky mistake. During installation I ran

man loadkeys

(I know ,how stupid) and for some reason the shell switch from Bash to zsh and in my prompt I have something along the lines of "176   root@....". I just wanted to bring this up in case is something of importance.

Re: wpa_supplicant stops at boot

dal wrote:

Hello guys,

I have successfully installed Hyperbola on two of Thinkpads X60, by far the comfiest install (even compared to automated calamares).

I'm running with an issue with the wifi on one of them (the other I need to libreboot it so I can use non-propietary wifi cards) wpa_supplicant stops at boot.

when I do a

rc-status

, shows that it is "stopped", then when I try to start the service I get the next error:

Successfully initialized wpa_supplicant
Failed to open config file '/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf', error: No such file or directory
Failed to read or parse configuration '/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf'.
 * start-stop-daemon: failed to start `/sbin/wpa_supplicant'
 * Failed to start WPA Supplicant Daemon                                  [ !! ]
 * ERROR: wpa_supplicant failed to start

I checked my etc/ and indeed I'm missing the config for it, I briefly looked online and I can only find forum post with people who already have a config. I wish I could just copy and paste a random config online but I rather come to you guys for help.

Sidenote:
When I was doing the installation I noticed a funky error caused by a funky mistake. During installation I ran

man loadkeys

(I know ,how stupid) and for some reason the shell switch from Bash to zsh and in my prompt I have something along the lines of "176   root@....". I just wanted to bring this up in case is something of importance.

Never had this problem before, did you use a 0.3.1 iso to install? If so, report to a developer there may be an unknown issue happening.

btw, do you have dhcpcd and wpa_supplicant both set to turn on at default not boot?

rc-update add dhcpcd default
rc-update add wpa_supplicant default
obviously use doas or sudo to do so though. smile

That being said, sounds like an odd situation.

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!

Yes, I used milkyway, not a big deal it was just a small bug, But I will report just in case causes another issue for someone else.

I will check that cause I think for some dumb reason I removed dhcpcd from default. I will update later thank you, and of course doas wink

dal wrote:

Yes, I used milkyway, not a big deal it was just a small bug, But I will report just in case causes another issue for someone else.

I will check that cause I think for some dumb reason I removed dhcpcd from default. I will update later thank you, and of course doas wink

Okay, let me know how that turns out. smile

dhcpcd-ui is a good thing to install btw,

dhcpcd-gtk is the command to use it, but it requires wpa_supplicant and dhcpcd both being on.

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!