Topic: [Question] Packages removed from git-repository?

Hello,

has somebody more information about the progress for milky-way-0.4? Yesterday all packages were removed from the git-repositories for community, extra and multilib. I recognized that first packages for extra are coming back, but is this planned for the repositories as well? This makes a research not more easy. Perhaps switching the showed up repositories on the web for version 0.3 would be a first step. But the removal of all PKGBUILD-scripts is also not so helpful in general when trying to research and rebuild.

So what's the plan?

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

2 (edited by zapper 2020-07-23 02:18:26)

Re: [Question] Packages removed from git-repository?

It might be planned for stable too, but don't quote me, ask emulatorman or coadde or another dev.

mostly he is trying to remove redhat's crap.

Let me warn you, don't upgrade any further... due to libressl causing breakages, I noticed this on an old mostly unused laptop, and it was not good what happened when i upgraded libressl's version. Just be warned okay?

From here on out, if you want to upgrade, do so in A VM. or you will regret it...

wink

And as a rule of thumb, anything related to libressl or xenocara or anything core, do not upgrade during a potential breakage. smile

Btw, more specifically, libressl being upgraded to its latest causes pacman to not work and internet also not to work...

Remember, you have been warned, wink

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!

zapper wrote:

It might be planned for stable too, but don't quote me, ask emulatorman or coadde or another dev.

mostly he is trying to remove redhat's crap.

Let me warn you, don't upgrade any further... due to libressl causing breakages, I noticed this on an old mostly unused laptop, and it was not good what happened when i upgraded libressl's version. Just be warned okay?

From here on out, if you want to upgrade, do so in A VM. or you will regret it...

wink

And as a rule of thumb, anything related to libressl or xenocara or anything core, do not upgrade during a potential breakage. smile

Btw, more specifically, libressl being upgraded to its latest causes pacman to not work and internet also not to work...

Remember, you have been warned, wink

At the moment of writing that it was true, it'll probably be fixed in a week at most. Maybe sooner according to what I heard.

Hey, okay thanks.
Better to stop therefore the mirror-task I've got for now until this is solved. Will do so because I want my stable versions running until this is solved!

Therefore my question. No further problem. smile

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

Hmm, it seems community and multilib are removed completely, also within pacman itself: https://libregit.org/Hyperbola/core/com … cc52d6b4d8

6 (edited by zapper 2020-07-25 03:47:39)

throgh wrote:

Hmm, it seems community and multilib are removed completely, also within pacman itself: https://libregit.org/Hyperbola/core/com … cc52d6b4d8

Hmm, that's a good question, I will ask for you all,

EDIT:

Well for multilib anyways, that is being removed completely from what I see. 

As for community, that one I am less sure of.  but that does mean, if you want to use wine, Hyperbola might not have it in the future? I think, don't quote me, but it seems that way.  (unless wine someday doesn't require 32 bit libraries, etc...)

Although, I have multiple computers, the ones that I don't use wine for, I will just not use that way. I have a laptop that is for gaming, one for mild gaming, and one thats for other stuff,

The gaming one is my x230, the one for mild gaming, I also do some other stuff on, writing fiction, etc...

My point being, just use different comps for different stuff regarding wine,

As for why community is being removed, I will have to ask more. I am not completely sure myself at the moment. ;|

There is also a possibility that someone will make some gui version of Hyperbola in the much later future and will add wine support to it.

(probably a HyperbolaBSD based one when that's stable.)

Some people on devuan were talking about making a DevuanBSD based off of HyperbolaBSD I think when its stable?

. Regardless though, I will most likely continue to use Hyperbola as my os for most of my devices. 

With the exception of my x230. wink

For my x230 I will sadly have to use a Gnu/Linux distro. Most likely CloverOS the libre one.

I hope this doesn't disappoint anyone too much.  To be fair, 32 bit libraries he told me have some weird bug that OpenBSD rejected wine because of.  Pity he couldn't have had there be an off on switch for people who want it. Oh well. 

I still support this Operating System regardless.  I just will use one of my laptops with a different os.

/rant complete

7 (edited by throgh 2020-07-25 10:13:17)

No problem at all, but that being said I'd recommend everyone with interest to create a mirror of the repositories. I have done this for 0.2 and the current stable version. So I can use both for installation. As speaking of: Hyperbola GNU/Linux is using the libre Linux-kernel AND free software included without systemd on most ways.

It is also possible to split the project and have the concurrent version 0.3 for example living for a longer period of time. That's the point where the community is coming up to help here and discuss this. So in the end I can live with that, but was just wondering why those changes coming up without communication. No offense, but a little bit more information and insights here in the forums would be cool for everyone to read. When community and multilib are reworked, even deleted with the last one the concurrent lists are useless. Meaning also the TODO-lists, where the changelogs are partly based on. That's not so good and not helping for people coming around to see what's going on. Doing a research for compilation is also more of a problem now as the complete package search is at testing, not at stable.

Just proposals:

• Discuss about making own mirrors of the package-repositories, either as tutorial for everyone or as copy for later usage while HyperbolaBSD is coming up or to let Hyperbola GNU/Linux living for a longer period

• Reworking the TODO-lists, either deletion or concurrent news what's going on

• Changing the package-search back to "stable", meaning back to version 0.3 so users can have insights

I'll use Hyperbola GNU/Linux further and beyond BSD-transfer. But there should be more communication what's planned and done. So people can look after the project better! smile
When looking after any distribution there has to be also some look about the package-repositories: Not only the kernel, the firmware is counting as everything and every package distributed also. It's also about: Browser and additional applications being into proprietary services. So creating a mirror when a distribution is NOT supporting all that is one kind of needed task in my point of view. The other way around is to accept having smplayer or clementine being full with proprietary interfaces, being very kind of "talking around" when added and a risk for privacy and security itself (just examples). Not even talking about browsers in general as the "web" / the "internet" is just not working and full bloated. Constructing a new kind of web-engine seems impossible for now when reading all specifications coming up from the W3C. And again: No further masterplan, just ignorance and arrogance of a thought getting this to handle later on. No, the "internet" is broken beyond to repair, websites full with animation and videos, server-infrastructure based on complete javascript and full with security-problems and more of this. So coming back to the ground: Well, better off keeping no browser in the near future, or just one in some virtual machine, for basic tasks? Most Linux-systems (without GNU) are even also broken because of packages included: Steam anyone? Well, that's the point of a decision: Supporting something to make some libre kernel out of it sends the message out being "okay" with all the rest - OpenBSD with Rust included for Frefox or just using Chromium for example. sad

throgh wrote:

No problem at all, but that being said I'd recommend everyone with interest to create a mirror of the repositories. I have done this for 0.2 and the current stable version. So I can use both for installation. As speaking of: Hyperbola GNU/Linux is using the libre Linux-kernel AND free software included without systemd on most ways.

It is also possible to split the project and have the concurrent version 0.3 for example living for a longer period of time. That's the point where the community is coming up to help here and discuss this. So in the end I can live with that, but was just wondering why those changes coming up without communication. No offense, but a little bit more information and insights here in the forums would be cool for everyone to read. When community and multilib are reworked, even deleted with the last one the concurrent lists are useless. Meaning also the TODO-lists, where the changelogs are partly based on. That's not so good and not helping for people coming around to see what's going on. Doing a research for compilation is also more of a problem now as the complete package search is at testing, not at stable.

Just proposals:

• Discuss about making own mirrors of the package-repositories, either as tutorial for everyone or as copy for later usage while HyperbolaBSD is coming up or to let Hyperbola GNU/Linux living for a longer period

• Reworking the TODO-lists, either deletion or concurrent news what's going on

• Changing the package-search back to "stable", meaning back to version 0.3 so users can have insights

I'll use Hyperbola GNU/Linux further and beyond BSD-transfer. But there should be more communication what's planned and done. So people can look after the project better! smile
When looking after any distribution there has to be also some look about the package-repositories: Not only the kernel, the firmware is counting as everything and every package distributed also. It's also about: Browser and additional applications being into proprietary services. So creating a mirror when a distribution is NOT supporting all that is one kind of needed task in my point of view. The other way around is to accept having smplayer or clementine being full with proprietary interfaces, being very kind of "talking around" when added and a risk for privacy and security itself (just examples). Not even talking about browsers in general as the "web" / the "internet" is just not working and full bloated. Constructing a new kind of web-engine seems impossible for now when reading all specifications coming up from the W3C. And again: No further masterplan, just ignorance and arrogance of a thought getting this to handle later on. No, the "internet" is broken beyond to repair, websites full with animation and videos, server-infrastructure based on complete javascript and full with security-problems and more of this. So coming back to the ground: Well, better off keeping no browser in the near future, or just one in some virtual machine, for basic tasks? Most Linux-systems (without GNU) are even also broken because of packages included: Steam anyone? Well, that's the point of a decision: Supporting something to make some libre kernel out of it sends the message out being "okay" with all the rest - OpenBSD with Rust included for Frefox or just using Chromium for example. sad

Yeah, agreed, there should be a bit more communication.  I agree with you completely.

9 (edited by rachad 2020-07-25 22:27:15)

this makes it harder for me to find my way, the packages list was helpfull in researching and learning.  but if this means a fast way towards HyperbolaBSD 
i think we should have pationce the dev took a big move smile i hope something good will come out of it

throgh wrote:

i will be here as well i look forward to the future of hyperbola and this community smile

rached wrote:

this makes it harder for me to find my way, the packages list was helpfull in researching and learning.  but if this means a fast way towards HyperbolaBSD 
i think we should have pationce the dev took a big move smile i hope something good will come out of it

throgh wrote:

i will be here as well i look forward to the future of hyperbola and this community smile

Same, smile