1 (edited by Mesh Malachi 2020-08-16 21:40:54)

Topic: SOLVED: Can't connect to wireless or Ethernet

I installed Hyperbola on a Lenovo laptap five or six days ago.

I had to install a wifi driver (which I got here https://github.com/FreedomBen/rtl8188ce-linux-driver), but I was able to connect to both wifi and Ethernet. My wifi adaptor is a Realtek RTL8188CE. The Ethernet adaptor is a Lenovo RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI.

A few days ago, wifi stopped connecting, and ethernet stopped connecting today. I've tried connecting with both the GUI and cli versions of NetworkManager. I've been following the Arch Networking article (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Networking) but I still don't know what is wrong.

The interfaces are up, both have kernel drivers and modules in use, power saving is not enabled. The wifi adapter is always in dormant mode after I start the laptop, but nothing changes when I put it in default mode. I tried connecting with dhclient instead of dhcpcd, but nothing happened. sudo dhcpcd inteface shows "sending commands to master dhcpcd process".
I tried changing the wifi channel to auto, nothing happened (actually the Ethernet stopped connecting after I did that). The regulatory domain is set to global.

dmesg shows a lot of entries that the wifi interface "link is not ready" then a few that say "link becomes ready". The are the same entries for the Ethernet interface, but much fewer. It also shows that my wifi connection is repeatedly authenticating and then being deauthenticated "by local choice (Reason: 3=DEAUTH_LEAVING)". According to this list: https://aboutcher.co.uk/2012/07/linux-w … son-codes/

reason 3 means that means the access point went offline, which is false because I'm connecting to the same wifi network on a different laptop. There is more information about this deauth reason given here https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ne … ving_Logs, but the linked flowchart isn't loading for me, so I have not read that.

Any ideas? My wifi connection is most important right now. The wifi at least attempts to connect and then fails with error "Could not activate connection: Activation failed." For Ethernet,  NetworkManager shows "Could not activate connection: Connection 'Wired connection 1' is not available on the device enp3s0 at this time" and does not try to connect.

Re: SOLVED: Can't connect to wireless or Ethernet

I fixed the wifi by disabling the wpa_supplicant service.

Mesh Malachi wrote:

Hello Mesh Malachi what did you use instead of wpa_supplicant to connect over wifi?

rached wrote:
Mesh Malachi wrote:

Hello Mesh Malachi what did you use instead of wpa_supplicant to connect over wifi?

I connect with NetworkManager, which calls wpa_supplicant, so I don't need to run wpa_supplicant as a separate service.

Mesh Malachi wrote:
rached wrote:
Mesh Malachi wrote:

I connect with NetworkManager, which calls wpa_supplicant, so I don't need to run wpa_supplicant as a separate service.

I know of a lighter way to connect, its called dhcpcd-ui

install that, install wpa_supplicant,  then do this:

rc-update add wpa_supplicant

then reboot or rc-service wpa_supplicant and rc_service dhcpcd, not sure which order,

and type the command dhcpcd-gtk and you should have an icon on your taskbar which will give you options of the wifi zones to use.

That's how I do it. 

smile

Besides, I prefer not to use bloatware like networkmanager. 

wink

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!

zapper wrote:

I connect with NetworkManager, which calls wpa_supplicant,

install that, install wpa_supplicant,  then do this:

rc-update add wpa_supplicant

You don't seem to know what you are talking about. NetworkManager runs as a service as well and has an optional little applet as well; I haven't noticed anything bloated about it. And using it doesn't require adding the wpa_supplicant service, so that's one less configuration step.

I can tell that you either didn't read or didn't fully understand my post, otherwise you wouldn't have told me to install wpa_supplicant right after I posted that NM calls wpa_supplicant. Obviously I already have wpa_supplicant installed.

zapper wrote:

thanks for the feedback
i use wpa-gui and dhcpcd only

i tried dhcpcd-ui but it didn't lunch maybe something is missing cause im on a new install with cwm
but i would never use NetworkManager again.
im taking my time learning and customizing my x200 with hyperbola smile

rached wrote:
zapper wrote:

thanks for the feedback
i use wpa-gui and dhcpcd only

i tried dhcpcd-ui but it didn't lunch maybe something is missing cause im on a new install with cwm
but i would never use NetworkManager again.
im taking my time learning and customizing my x200 with hyperbola smile

dhcpcd-ui works for me though... but I am glad you found an alternative. smile

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!