Topic: AMD blob in kernel?

Hi, I am interested in hopping over to Hyperbola, but I'm wondering if it's possible to add the AMD blob into current kernels myself? AFAIK gaming isn't viable without it.

Re: AMD blob in kernel?

zxcv wrote:

Hi, I am interested in hopping over to Hyperbola, but I'm wondering if it's possible to add the AMD blob into current kernels myself? AFAIK gaming isn't viable without it.

If you mean for your own personal purpose it may be possible... but why would you want to?

Sometimes those "blobs" hold backdoors in them and other nasty stuff.

But yeah... this may not be the best os for you if you want any form of blob in your system for any reason.

No offense, but if you need those blobs I think devuan might be better. If your avoiding systemd especially.

Can I ask what the  blob does for you? Does it enable 3D video acceleration? just c urious...

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!

@zapper, I spoke to some people and the GPU runs closed firmware, not the kernel. Don't know if that makes it better or worse, tbh.

zxcv wrote:

@zapper, I spoke to some people and the GPU runs closed firmware, not the kernel. Don't know if that makes it better or worse, tbh.

Probably about the same... what does this GPU firmware do for you though? That's what I am wondering...

@zapper, Sorry for the late reply. Witthout the firmware/BIOS the card will not run, as with all modern GPU's, x86_64 CPU's and Intel IGPU's. Of course, as long as the code runs on the chips and not from the OS people don't care.
At least the me_cleaner project has some bearing on the AMT part.

zxcv wrote:

@zapper, Sorry for the late reply. Witthout the firmware/BIOS the card will not run, as with all modern GPU's, x86_64 CPU's and Intel IGPU's. Of course, as long as the code runs on the chips and not from the OS people don't care.
At least the me_cleaner project has some bearing on the AMT part.

ah, so you can't even use the CPU without the code... that's rough. 

I really though recommend you getting a better laptop next time you buy one. Preferably, one that supports free software completely.

Even if it isn't a libreboot laptop.  That's my advice though.

But yeah, I think you may want to look up the dangers of a proprietary bios and even more so what the intel me does.

It is extremely frightening how much control it has over a computer.  I use libreboot so I have no issues with this.

@zapper, I am looking into buying a T500/W500 right now, just need to find one with a 1080p screen.
I am also looking out for the Purism project which, among other things, has Libreboot as their next goal, and I am hopeful.
https://puri.sm/learn/freedom-roadmap/

8 (edited by zapper 2017-12-31 03:26:00)

zxcv wrote:

@zapper, I am looking into buying a T500/W500 right now, just need to find one with a 1080p screen.
I am also looking out for the Purism project which, among other things, has Libreboot as their next goal, and I am hopeful.
https://puri.sm/learn/freedom-roadmap/

I don't know about purism, but if you want good battery life, x200's are good. If you want size, T500 or W500 are good.

Libreboot seems to think purism won't be able to remove intel me completely. 

If you look at their faq they say that it isn't worth even buying.

https://libreboot.org/faq.html#will-the … -supported

unless they strike some miracle... somewhere. I doubt it, but who knows... I would love to see that happen though.

Well what do you know, booting with an AMD card froze the install on Kernel Mode Setting (KMS). There is a blob in the kernel anyway, and I have no 3D acceleration without buying an Nvidia card and using the unofficial Nouveau driver. And even then they still run proprietary firmware.

@zapper, After having a 1440p screen, I just can't go back to 720p. Only Librebootable models with a 1080p (excluding DIY) are the W500/T500.

Yeah, I think Purism needs to hire some more people to work on it, especially after their crowdsale for their Librem 5 phone; which, as a side note will run Linux!

"Well what do you know, booting with an AMD card froze the install on Kernel Mode Setting (KMS). There is a blob in the kernel anyway, and I have no 3D acceleration without buying an Nvidia card and using the unofficial Nouveau driver. And even then they still run proprietary firmware."

That's a shame, well, I wish you the best in finding something better.

"@zapper, After having a 1440p screen, I just can't go back to 720p. Only Librebootable models with a 1080p (excluding DIY) are the W500/T500.

Yeah, I think Purism needs to hire some more people to work on it, especially after their crowdsale for their Librem 5 phone; which, as a side note will run Linux!"

I am curious though why resolution is so important to you though.... Are you a gamer? IF so then I can understand.   T500 not something I would use, but if you want 1080p then yeah...

as for Purism, I don't like your chances with the phone, but hopefully the laptops have some future given the intel me can be 95% removed.

Maybe they'll find a way to break free to 100%? Who knows... I doubt it, but it is a possibility.

AMD however is even less trustworthy if that is even possible. without their version of intel me, the psp management, it goes off immediately.

Intel = 30 minutes before it goes off without intel me though. See the advantage?

All that aside though, we'll see what happens I guess.