1 (edited by hd_scania 2018-01-20 01:34:37)

Topic: Hyperbola and Devuan integration?

https://wiki.parabola.nu/User:Hd_scania … an_commons
https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?pid=7191#p7191
There are 2 systems sharing 6 common aspects like init freedom and LTS, namely Hyperbola and Devuan.
Now I’m willing to collect some of the comments here, if Hyperbola is willing to be trademarked by Dyne, the foundation behind Devuan, as to be well integrated together, for the few significant commons, like init freedom, stability, conservation, LTS, free software, free culture, privacy.
To make both popular even to laypeople, Devuan has a graphical installer named Refracta, where Hyperbola will be needed to provide an Xfce graphical ISO, as to be more tangible and reachable to the generic people which they need 100% libre system, Dyne will well help Hyperbola to achieve this. smile

Re: Hyperbola and Devuan integration?

hd_scania wrote:

There are 2 systems sharing 6 common aspects like init freedom and LTS, namely Hyperbola and Devuan.
Now I’m willing to collect some of the comments here, if Hyperbola is willing to be trademarked by Dyne, the foundation behind Devuan, as to be well integrated together, for the few significant commons, like init freedom, stability, conservation, LTS, free software, free culture, privacy.
To make both popular even to laypeople, Devuan has a graphical installer named Refracta, where Hyperbola will be needed to provide an Xfce graphical ISO, as to be more tangible and reachable to the generic people which they need 100% libre system, Dyne will well help Hyperbola to achieve this. smile

Hi hd_scania, what do you mean about "be trademarked by Dyne"?  sad

Our Social Contract says that one of our goals is support the Free Software Movement to cooperate with other distributions and free software projects to compete against non-free software; but it doesn't mean that Hyperbola Project should be trademarked, handled and/or hold by other foundations, companies or projects because Hyperbola Project is an independent project.

3 (edited by zapper 2018-01-20 22:38:49)

Emulatorman wrote:
hd_scania wrote:

Our Social Contract says that one of our goals is support the Free Software Movement to cooperate with other distributions and free software projects to compete against non-free software; but it doesn't mean that Hyperbola Project should be trademarked, handled and/or hold by other foundations, companies or projects because Hyperbola Project is an independent project.

Agreed! by that I mean, the trademarking by Dyne isn't needed.

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!

4 (edited by hd_scania 2018-01-21 05:18:57)

Maybe a trademark is not a must, however due to the many commons the integrations and collaborations between Hyperbola and Devuan should make both projects more popular. But first of all you need to ask Devuan to use your nonfree blacklist from Parabola, now Devuan still has nonfree and contrib pools. You will also need to port their Refracta installer into your graphical ISO to be a solution to the free software newbies. smile

Emulatorman wrote:

hd_scania wrote:

You will also need to port their Refracta installer into your graphical ISO to be a solution to the free software newbies. smile

We've plans to use Calamares for our graphical live image version since it's an universe framework installer, but i've never heard about Refracta.

Emulatorman wrote:
hd_scania wrote:

You will also need to port their Refracta installer into your graphical ISO to be a solution to the free software newbies. smile

We've plans to use Calamares for our graphical live image version since it's an universe framework installer, but i've never heard about Refracta.

Refracta isn't strictly needed. As far as I am concerned. Calamares is a good idea.

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!

Of course just not strictly needed however using it you can highlight our similarity with Dyne. We’re nice to announce that Dyne is a similar project with us at our wiki (like init freedom; conservation and stability; free software and free culture; privacy ... as what I’ve told here) , but of course we still aren’t toughly needed to use their Refracta as a graphical install solution. smile

zapper wrote:

Refracta isn't strictly needed. As far as I am concerned. Calamares is a good idea.