Topic: information that is good to be shared

Hello good people here or who ever come's and read, i hope we all learn from each other

in this topic i want everyone to share what they use in today's internet :

1- browser you use and addons, do u access i2P and tor from same browser
2- irc channels you stay on
3- what email provider or you host your own
4- site web you guys visite on the clear net or other places how do u watch movies listen to music things like that
5- comunication tools 
6- money options you use

in general what you use your pc for and how you do that,
this will help me and many who wanna use the web in a free libre way.

2 (edited by dikasp2 2020-11-23 13:33:52)

Re: information that is good to be shared

1.any librefork of firefox, im usually use them with hardened config, not much experience of trying i2p and tor since i dont know many of their links
2.none, i prefer web forum though, all messages are well archived and easy to browse
3.riseup net, tutanota, & disposible and anonim email
4.my libre entertaiment
videos:peertube
music:free music archive
social:mastodon
books:wikipedia
other:internet archive org, wikimedia
5.refer to 4 & 3
6.any libre crypto software, im using doge, recommend xmr but they re pricy

the important thing i want to say is:

in this present day of libre world, we already have many things to do for your lifetime enjoyment.

if you willing to go and venture forth into far reach of libre utopia there will be many interesting things and infinite discovery as time goes on, so just go with the flow and embrace freedom smile .

3 (edited by sagaracharya 2020-11-23 09:17:58)

I use parabola. Hyperbola lacks packages which I strongly need. I would switch to hyperbola as soon as it has more packages.

1. Iceweasel with 'noscript' and 'privacy redirect' add-ons. I use torbrowser for tor. (Librejs breaks everything up for me.)
2. parabola, searx, guix. (I too prefer forums and matrix above irc)
3. Tutanota. It's too difficult to set up an email service. I read stuff in FreeBSD handbook.
4. Invidious , transmission-qt helps and music is not very conveinient yet. I download songs to my mobile and listen.
5. Conversations(XMPP), Fluffychat(matrix), Tox.
6. Cash. I would love to use monero but no one accepts it here in India.

I use notabug, pixelfed, gnusocial, telegram foss(I prefer xmpp), gpa(for encryption), inkscape, freecad.

well for me i would say that im starting new by mistake or maybe a good thing i lost all my emails and all my internet bookmarks and invidious bookmarks anyway all and all
so now im trying to use :

1- iceweasel-uxp with privoxy runing i2P and tor and clearnet with just dnscrypt-proxy
addons "https always" "No Resource URI Leak" "Noscript" "Random Agent Spoofer" "RequestPolicy Continued"
i dont know if its a good idea or not but this is what im doing or trying to do

2- im not sure about wich irc client to go with but for now im using Konversation with tor and #hyperbola or other channels wen i need to ask

3- for emails i used tutanota before but now cause im using no javascript i went with https://danwin1210.me/ i also use there chat

4- cause i lost all my bookmarks of invidious im not using it much but i watch there some of what i remember music as well
movies and anime im not watching for months now

5- my friends in Algeria here dont use any libre software to speak so i only use emails with some but im looking for new things

6- i use cash and i would love to use a stable coin that is decentralized and private just like monero volatility of the price wont help mainstream use

i dont use facebook and skype and steam and all others for years now lost so much gaming friends but life goes on we meet on the after shortlife test  smile
open to learn new things i think i will open a new post were we will list all sitewebs that are intresting from i2P tor and clearnet

well @rached you dont make any mistake by losing something for greater goods

internet

im dont prefer bookmarks or online saving technology

you can get the complete control and full access of your favorite data by saving them down offline, ex:
1.save the webpage or links
2.copy important text into txt
3.get a screenshot
etc

games

meet your new gaming friends:
https://forums.hyperbola.info/viewtopic … 14&p=3
try stone-soup its fun and available in the hyperbola reposirories right now

multimedia

im also dont like streaming, always grab and saved my favorites multimedia offline and enjoy them freely later, online just meant for discovery

oh btw im also an otaku smile

@dikasp2
i didn't loose my data cause it was saved online i bricked the ssd i was using and other backup usb drives along with my note book in one crayzi night haha i was traveling and i became paranoid anyway after that i ended up with a locked passwd.kdbx that i left at home on my other hdd and lost access to all my accounts online many of i cant recover including banking smile
lost siteweb bookmarks and ended up with a year old bookmarks.html
all my invidio.us subscriptions wich were a good collection of a few channels i remember it was arround the 80 or 88
i could start looking and will find a good number of them im sure, books in pdf and epub some notes on text files idk

but now im planing on not loosing that much anymore even if something caryzi happens again

for games i dont play anymore i miss that time i wont lie but i have more to do in real life like @cynicfm i also focuse more on reading and learning usefull stuff here and there then wasting my time on some strategy game that i love so much tongue

i wich i could watch some anime but i couldn't find a place were i can download without using javascript if u know a torrent siteweb please share

7 (edited by dikasp2 2020-12-17 12:47:05)

well @rached about the anime i have many downloable links but unfortunately they are all indonesian hardcoded subs

maybe try find some downloadble english on unfiltered search like duckduckgo, maybe turn off the safe search

long live otakus tongue big_smile

oh, and in case you forget:

https://forums.hyperbola.info/viewtopi … 2362#p2362

dikasp2 wrote:

well @rached about the anime i have many downloable links but unfortunately they are all indonesian hardcoded subs

maybe try find some downloadble english on unfiltered search like duckduckgo, maybe turn off the safe search

long live otakus tongue big_smile

oh, and in case you forget:
https://forums.hyperbola.info/viewtopic … 2362#p2362

i can say that im a good researcher and i did not yes i did not find what im looking for tongue, thats unfotunate i know but what can someone do for clear principals i shall wait
something will come out or we build the foundation for others to fix the internet in better ways

in the meantime im planing on keeping a list of new anime that i wich to watch starting from were i left smile

1 - I use Firefox-ESR with the following add-ons:
uBlock Origin, uMatrix, HTTPZ, FireMonkey, CSS Exfil Protection, Header Editor, CanvasBlocker,
ClearURLs, Decentraleyes, Neat URL, Request Control, Skip Redirect, Smart Referrer and Temporary Containers. I follow this guide here: https://github.com/arkenfox/user.js/wiki/4.1-Extensions

I also modified my browsers config, using this
https://github.com/arkenfox/user.js/wiki/1.1-Overview

I don't use Tor yet and I don't plan to until I have a libreboot Thinkpad with a libre OS installed. Even then, I want to only connect to Tor via a VPN paid for with crypto.

2 - I dont particularly use IRC regularly

3 - I use Posteo as my email provider (Suggested by the Free Software Foundation)
Though I always access my emails via Claws.

4 - I like to watch Youtube videos on invidious.snopyta.org which is an open-source front-end of YT which prevents Google from tracking you. I always set the proxy server on so I can play videos without needing JavaScript.

5 - I like to use Signal and Telegram for my text messages.

6 - I use Paypal like most people do. I would like to use Cryptocurrency more often if I can afford it, though I did make a purchase with Monero once a few years ago.

If I have to use Bitcoin, I would like to use the Wasabi Wallet which anonymizes your BTC transactions via Tor as far as I know.

10 (edited by Mesh Malachi 2021-01-18 05:28:04)

Iceweasel-uxp in a sandbox with cookies and javascript disabled. No addons; I don't trust them unless I've written them. Privoxy is running system-wide. I don't use tor or i2p. Tor is too slow. I use a vpn.

Epiphany in a sandbox when I absolutely need to have js enabled.

I have Protonmail for important stuff and Posteo for non-important email.

Invidious for youtube videos.

I'm on a Mastodon instance.

Mesh Malachi wrote:

Iceweasel-uxp in a sandbox with cookies and javascript disabled. No addons; I don't trust them unless I've written them. Privoxy is running system-wide. I don't use tor or i2p. Tor is too slow. I use a vpn.

Epiphany in a sandbox when I absolutely need to have js enabled.

I have Protonmail for important stuff and Posteo for non-important email.

Invidious for youtube videos.

I'm on a Mastodon instance.

thank you for sharing i would advise using posteo for important stuff and protonmail for non-important just my opinion though im interested to know why you did that!

# i would like to update im now not using invidious but yt-local anyone can try the demo at https://yt.conocimientoslibres.ga/https://youtube.com
and i quote heckyel "just remember that yt-local is not designed to be put on a server for everyone because then Google blocks the instance due to many requests to the server"
this is just a demo if you want to use it install on your local machine

git clone https://notabug.org/heckyel/yt-local
cd yt-local
virtualenv -p python3 venv
source venv/bin/activate
pip install -r requirements.txt
python server.py

at last you have configuration with OpenRC here

i come back with more feedback on what im using right now and some other issues i run in to,
tryed using xmpp for sometimes now and for me i see no real use for private messaging using tox is much better and for group chats many have bots linking irc with xmpp servers so thats that, i hade some issues using xmpp with gajim as well got kernel panics using it just like old days wen i used to watch animes with javascript provided from some g00gle servers im not sure but maybe direct connections that xmpp use could be a security problem so no xmpp anymore for me!
my list goes as follow right now :

1- iceweasel like always with the same config

2- i tryed many irc clients now im runing hexchat and erc on emacs i also plan to try mumble a bit

3- my email is disroot and danwin1210.me and i became a mod on that chat tongue

4- yt-local to watch videos

5- same as always emails and inviting everyone i know to use tox i go and install qtox and protox in android for them but they never login hmm most of them at least, i try to explain and tell them to share the idea and tox with other friends hopefuly i will make some change in there habits

for money still use cash but i hope to find better ways to exchange

rachad wrote:

i come back with more feedback on what im using right now and some other issues i run in to,
tryed using xmpp for sometimes now and for me i see no real use for private messaging using tox is much better and for group chats many have bots linking irc with xmpp servers so thats that, i hade some issues using xmpp with gajim as well got kernel panics using it just like old days wen i used to watch animes with javascript provided from some g00gle servers im not sure but maybe direct connections that xmpp use could be a security problem so no xmpp anymore for me!
my list goes as follow right now :

1- iceweasel like always with the same config

2- i tryed many irc clients now im runing hexchat and erc on emacs i also plan to try mumble a bit

3- my email is disroot and danwin1210.me and i became a mod on that chat tongue

4- yt-local to watch videos

5- same as always emails and inviting everyone i know to use tox i go and install qtox and protox in android for them but they never login hmm most of them at least, i try to explain and tell them to share the idea and tox with other friends hopefuly i will make some change in there habits

for money still use cash but i hope to find better ways to exchange

Finally https://yt.conocimientoslibres.ga in public mode?. I have been testing it for 5 days in a row and issue of many requests has not showed. big_smile cool

1- I am currently using the latest portable iceweasel-uxp with NoScript for clearnet and TBB for Tor.

2- I use freenode IRC and am usually on the hyperbola channel when I am on.

3- I have email accounts at riseup, posteo, and dismail

4- I use a torrent client for movies, music, and other large files or else purchase them on optical disks at the thrift store and convert the files to make them appropriate for my devices. I get most of my ebooks through library genesis and/or project gutenberg, archive dot org etc. but prefer paper books.

5- I live in an area where people do not use free software. It is becoming more and more difficult to communicate. I use email, XMPP with JMP (bridge between sms and xmpp), online forums, irc, and landline or Pinephone. Because I am low income and elderly, I usually just say "I don't have the money" and/or "I don't like technology" if I am told that I *have to* download an app or join a Facebook page, which is humiliating and depressing.

6-I am able to use a browser to access basic information from newspapers' websites and I also stream radio and podcasts.

7- I use traditional banking services at the present time.