Topic: [Hyperbola 0.4] Testing the initial installation

Hello together,

within this thread I'd like to help the development for 0.4 with collection of issues attached. All of them for the installation and running Hyperbola GNU/Linux-libre 0.4. Please post your messages and issues reported, I'll add them to the list here in the first post. Thank you!

WON'T FIX
Issue 1581 - [wine-stable] doesn't run 32-bit apps and games on 64-bit systems
Issue 1573 - spacefm possible security error

CLOSED WITHOUT SOLUTION
(Issues opened but never gotten further details to recreate the concrete situation, therefore closed.)

Issue 1574 - sndio doesn't autostart on all my comps...
Issue 1598 - warzone2100 fail

FIXED
Issue 1554 - Installation issue for testing purpose
Issue 1556 - No login after installation
Issue 1557 - Testing Lumina - lumina-screenshot fails to start
Issue 1566 - [opensurge] has refused to launch the game
Issue 1558 - Package [xscreensaver] has its missing settings
Issue 1559 - Problems with sndio fails being configured and start with ALSA
Issue 1568 - midori new Support for cross-browser web extensions
Issue 1560 - [wpa_supplicant]: wireless connection does not work
Issue 1564 - [lumina-core] has some non-libre and trademark-related icons.
Issue 1583 - [efivar] libefivar.so.1: cannot open shared object file
Issue 1579 - QtSSL is not working
Issue 1561 - [ath9k-htc-firmware]: not work
Issue 1588 - [fair-viewer] Problems with running package
Issue 1587 - [numptyphysics] has crashed that refused to launch the game.
Issue 1586 - [midori] Apply updating the package build release
Issue 1575 - Hplip for printing
Issue 1585 - [adwaita-icon-theme] Most symbolic icons look brokenly distorted.
Issue 1595 - widelands game shared library error
Issue 1582 - Package [android-file-transfer] is not functional
Issue 1555 - Installation for syslinux
Issue 1577 - Problems with touch- / trackpad
Issue 1597 - wesnoth change language no works
Issue 1584 - Video driver issues with X11 on the QEMU instance
Issue 1594 - angband game Couldn't load the requested font
Issue 1569 - Reactivate ALSA for all UXP-applications

TESTING

IN WORK
Issue 1563 - [lumina-core] Replace the distributor logo icon from generic.
Issue 1593 - Reworking xenocara and dbus-dependencies
Issue 1576 - [xenocara-xkbcomp] Could not resolve keysym XF86FullScreen

OPEN
Issue 1571 - Runit errors
Issue 1578 - Problems with ALSA and sndio using HDMI
Issue 1599 - [xenocara] Server is not able to be started via xdm

ATTENTION: About reports and issues
Please be aware that we need logs and more concrete information in some cases to replicate the error itself and find a solution. So don't just report an issue and leave that just for now. Better help and support with information: What kind of hardware do you use (model and name, your configuration itself within the system)? What kind of configuration did you make before (stating that just a service / daemon is not running won't help us)? Did the application crashed right ahead or is there some functionality you have used? What groups and therefore privileges do you have for your user-account? If you have some further information of a concrete error, because you have researched also for yourself: Share them for us also. Please remember that we all do that free at will. Thank you!

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

Re: [Hyperbola 0.4] Testing the initial installation

Added two more issues.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

Update for issue 1554: https://issues.hyperbola.info/index.php … sk_id=1554

Heyho together, so recently update on installation:

Issue 1554 - Installation issue for testing purpose FIXED
Issue 1555 - Installation for syslinux TESTING
Issue 1556 - No login after installation FIXED

I'm sitting next to an installed device with Hyperbola 0.4 - no not writing from as there is no application providing this for now of course. But the test on real hardware has also started: ThinkPad X60, Hyperbola 0.4 32bit (i686) running. So next is to talk about the concurrent alpha-phases to build packages in and when we create first ISO-files for development-installations and testing-purpose. Remember: We are in ALPHA for now so please have this in mind that issues occur and there is immense testing needed.

throgh wrote:

Heyho together, so recently update on installation:

Issue 1554 - Installation issue for testing purpose FIXED
Issue 1555 - Installation for syslinux TESTING
Issue 1556 - No login after installation FIXED

I'm sitting next to an installed device with Hyperbola 0.4 - no not writing from as there is no application providing this for now of course. But the test on real hardware has also started: ThinkPad X60, Hyperbola 0.4 32bit (i686) running. So next is to talk about the concurrent alpha-phases to build packages in and when we create first ISO-files for development-installations and testing-purpose. Remember: We are in ALPHA for now so please have this in mind that issues occur and there is immense testing needed.

I assume it won't be beta till like two months later at least right?

Correct me if I am wrong. If its less, I will be surprised given the enormity of what you are trying to accomplish in getting rid of so much redhat garbage... hmm

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!

Hey zapper, for now there is no final time when we can enter BETA-phase. But the system itself is now ready for an early installation-tryout. If you want I can later give a short how-to for a little vm. Now as first windows-managers and desktop-environment lumina are available you can do even more.

7 (edited by zapper 2021-05-19 23:27:19)

throgh wrote:

Hey zapper, for now there is no final time when we can enter BETA-phase. But the system itself is now ready for an early installation-tryout. If you want I can later give a short how-to for a little vm. Now as first windows-managers and desktop-environment lumina are available you can do even more.

No worries, I know how to use qemu somewhat... my only real issue, is, I am not sure if sound is available yet... hmm

I have tried it out a bit, but thats the only conclusion I draw so far. I hope you plan to add console-tdm, it will be a useful way to get display on, till other options come available... smile

By sound, I mean specficially for like moc or mpv.

Not sure if it works general yet, will check.

That being said, you are saying, it could be sooner, or later depending on the progress that is made in the future?

I think that's what your saying right?

Yes Hyperbola GNU/Linux-libre 0.4 will come for sure.
Besides added another issue for lumina.

throgh wrote:

Yes Hyperbola GNU/Linux-libre 0.4 will come for sure.
Besides added another issue for lumina.

At any rate, my main blocker from using it full time, that I see so far is no sound, which is good progress I would say. smile

mpv is also on the list for further testing video and audio, for sure. But there are even more dependencies to resolve first: Meaning also more packages to add. smile But we are making progress and going forward.

throgh wrote:

mpv is also on the list for further testing video and audio, for sure. But there are even more dependencies to resolve first: Meaning also more packages to add. smile But we are making progress and going forward.

I should add, sndio immediately crashes either before I login to my window manager, or after i login to my window manager

I use rc-service sndiod status

and it says crashed.

No amount of restarting, stopping and starting makes it work yet...

I am hopeful you noticed this throgh.

That's odd: No I have not noticed that for now. So we should have also closer look onto sndio. Added: Mine is running here under IceWM, but I don't use this Works for me-flag. smile Could you give more details about the environment you are running?

13 (edited by zapper 2021-05-21 23:04:56)

throgh wrote:

That's odd: No I have not noticed that for now. So we should have also closer look onto sndio. Added: Mine is running here under IceWM, but I don't use this Works for me-flag. smile Could you give more details about the environment you are running?

That is interesting, Maybe fresh install?

I was using jwm btw...

And console-tdm and idk what else.

Although, this virtual machine did go from openrc to sndio and back for various reasons... and from stable to testing... so something might have broken due to this? idk.

Hey zapper, thanks for the insights. Okay my first guess: A fresh install for 0.4 won't be bad for now. All packages have changed between 0.3.1 and 0.4. So it could be something wrong. Besides: console-tdm is also included within the repositories for testing right away. smile

https://www.hyperbola.info/packages/ext … nsole-tdm/

15 (edited by zapper 2021-05-22 02:33:46)

throgh wrote:

Hey zapper, thanks for the insights. Okay my first guess: A fresh install for 0.4 won't be bad for now. All packages have changed between 0.3.1 and 0.4. So it could be something wrong. Besides: console-tdm is also included within the repositories for testing right away. smile

https://www.hyperbola.info/packages/ext … nsole-tdm/

Bad news, same thing happened in a fresh install.

sndio crashed... hmm

no idea whats happening.

btw, 0.4 seems to use only 51MB of ram on a fresh install with nothing open but jwm.

I suspect it would be somewhere between one third and one half if I have my other basic stuff open, redshift, volumeicon, cbatticon, etc... smile

200mbs is when I have redshift, cbatticon, volumeicon, etc...

lately in 0.3.1...

Okay, thank you. I'll try to test this scenario later!
But speaking about usage of RAM: This is something absolutely fine. The less used, the better. smile

17 (edited by zapper 2021-05-22 03:19:42)

throgh wrote:

Okay, thank you. I'll try to test this scenario later!
But speaking about usage of RAM: This is something absolutely fine. The less used, the better. smile

That was my point.

smile

It probably uses way less cpu power too I bet. wink

Refinement for issues-list, added further issues.

Updating issue-list

Done adding newest issues.

Removed issue for polygen as there are more important parts for implementation and testing. Also reset the state of lumina for wpa_supplicant and the testing of Wifi-issues.

decided to moved into 0.4 and done smoothly this morning smile

some testing report
--------------------------------
no sound when startup: with sndiod service added and enabled + audio group. the sound still muted per login, starting sndiod again manually in terminal fixed the problem.

video thumbnail failed with all stock file manager: tested spacefm-git in aur and the video thumbnailer works nicely (really need this for user with 4tb movies big_smile ).

default lumina player doesnt work
videoplayer king aka vlc also doesnt work
mpv lose its pseudo gui

---------------------------------------

thats all my experience report for now, not sure if another user encounter the same problem.

i think for intermediate user, v 0.4 is capable enough for everyday use.

for videos smplayer is just working great and it seems no video tearing by default which im used to in linux.

wish all the good libre and privacy future with hyperbola smile

Okay, as spacefm was first compiled we had no ffmpegthumbnailer, so there has to be a refresh for supporting that.
Will have a look onto the mpv and its pseudo-gui, so there will be also an update.

You say there is sound with sndio? That's very good. Could you share your hardware-configuration, especially the soundcard is here interesting. Thank you!

Update onto the sndio-issue.

throgh wrote:

Update onto the sndio-issue.

Alsa-sndio needs to be fixed probably then...

However, sndio when started, immediately crashes...

rc-service sndiod status tells of this...

hmm