Topic: How to enable mate screensaver?

Hello everyone.

I haven't managed to get mate screensaver to work after the computer is idle for a certain amount of time when using the mate desktop  with or without enabling screen lock. Did anyone manage to get it to work? If so, how is it achieved?

Thanks.

Re: How to enable mate screensaver?

aloniv wrote:

Hello everyone.

I haven't managed to get mate screensaver to work after the computer is idle for a certain amount of time when using the mate desktop  with or without enabling screen lock. Did anyone manage to get it to work? If so, how is it achieved?

Thanks.

I don't even know if that will be available for 0.4, but I do have good news,

there is a way to do this with 0.3.1 and probably 0.4 in the later future...

xautolock -time  20 -locker slock

You can pick a different time if needed though.

This is how I would do something like this, up to you though. It is currently the only way it works in 0.3.1, in 0.4...

Not yet though. sad

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!

3 (edited by aloniv 2021-06-28 05:45:17)

I installed both xautolock and slock. slock doesn't display the password input screen (I only saw a coloured screen) so I think I'll pass. By the way I can lock the screen from the terminal using the command "mate-screensaver-command -l" and activate the screensaver I selected using mate screensaver using the command "mate-screensaver-command -a"  and can do both lock and screensaver activation using the command "mate-screensaver-command -al" so adding a sleep command before it should be similar to your suggested command.
Running a command pretty much defeats the purpose of the computer figuring out that it is idle and locking itself after a few minutes.

4 (edited by zapper 2021-06-28 13:59:27)

aloniv wrote:

I installed both xautolock and slock. slock doesn't display the password input screen (I only saw a coloured screen) so I think I'll pass. By the way I can lock the screen from the terminal using the command "mate-screensaver-command -l" and activate the screensaver I selected using mate screensaver using the command "mate-screensaver-command -a"  and can do both lock and screensaver activation using the command "mate-screensaver-command -al" so adding a sleep command before it should be similar to your suggested command.
Running a command pretty much defeats the purpose of the computer figuring out that it is idle and locking itself after a few minutes.

In my case, I have it run via startup in JWM, via script.

You could I suppose, do the same with any other DE and some WM.

Also, you can make a python bash script,

So yeah, xautolock + slock can work for your use case.  Unless you need to be able to display the password input screen, which is less secure anyways.

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!