Topic: v0.4 installation

I installed v0.4 yesterday. Finally at hyperbola. Installed dwm. I'm having problem with fonts. The current font isn't right, it overlaps in terminal and is ugly.

Also, are there any plans on having these softwares below?
- KeePassXC
- LibreOffice / OpenOffice
- VLC
- GIMP
- tor, torsocks, torbrowser-launcher.
- FreeCAD

Hexchat shows all characters as boxes. Absolutely everything!

And how to do sound and backlight changes from terminal?

2 (edited by zapper 2021-06-23 22:43:06)

Re: v0.4 installation

sagaracharya wrote:

I installed v0.4 yesterday. Finally at hyperbola. Installed dwm. I'm having problem with fonts. The current font isn't right, it overlaps in terminal and is ugly.

Also, are there any plans on having these softwares below?
- KeePassXC
- LibreOffice / OpenOffice
- VLC
- GIMP
- tor, torsocks, torbrowser-launcher.
- FreeCAD

Hexchat shows all characters as boxes. Absolutely everything!

And how to do sound and backlight changes from terminal?

Well, its not even beta yet...

So... yeah, there might be a few problems here and there... also, do not install sndio or alsa-sndio or aucatctl, otherwise your sound wont work.

I was able to install focuswriter from source, I don't know, but you may  be able to do the same with libreoffice? Maybe?

mpv can be installed from source also, but you need the dependencies which Hyperbola now has.

librecad is on hyperbola's repository also.

Caution btw, wpa_supplicant does not work properly right now, just be aware in case you feel the need to stay on 0.4

That's all my info for now...

oh and do not install runit is last thing, you can't shutdown or suspend or poweroff properly otherwise.

That is everything...

ps, I am on 0.4 right now, but I had to compile somethings from source for it to work properly. I currently am using ethernet primarily though... hmm

Libreoffice and vlc as well as mpv are not on quite yet btw... as a last note. But mpv can be installed easily enough if you know what your doing... smile

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!

KeepassXC cannot be added because of enforced dependencies towards QtDbus, please lookout for keepassx. If you like: Look onto the listing here.

mpv is already planned for building and added, same for smplayer and many others to come. Regarding the issues especially with dwm: Please provide more information about what font is not right. Do you have ttf-dejavu installed for example - quite a good choice for starting? It is also depending on how you start dwm in general: Do you use xenocara-xdm as display-manager for example? Hexchat was successfully tested onto jwm and icewm.

And please: If you want to make some error-report, feel free use the issues, not alone the forum. Thanks smile

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

Corrected font issue.

Recompiled dwm with adobe-helvetica-... as shown in xfontsel. I don't use dms, just startx.

So how to enable sound right now? I have sndio installed, but as I saw there's no service related to alsa in /etc/init.d/
Also, openrc needs to be renamed to hyperrc at starting prompt and openrc-shutdown needs to be renamed as hyperrc-shutdown and so on...

This looks like beta, it is pretty usable in my view.

1 more issue is I have KeePassXC database, 4.0 version of database. KeePassX uses older database which shows incompatibility error.

https://notabug.org/sagaracharya/hyperbola_os

I'm facing bug of the century. ls shows that gpa-0.10.0 exists, but cannot cd into it. Check it for yourself. Let me know anything you'd want to test.

Just use alsa-utils for activation of ALSA.
As mentioned: KeepassXC has a big issue with QtDbus itself. Here to look: https://github.com/keepassxreboot/keepa … eLists.txt

Tryout would be to deactivate it, but that would also follow with many further patches to do. Alternatives are already built and within the repositories, but we need more tests to do. So as always: Help is welcome!

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

There's an import csv option in KeePassXC but not in KeePassX. I'm requesting the dev to add that.

I'll try, though there are many scripts within alsa-utils.

LibreCAD is 2D. I need 3D. What about FreeCAD and GIMP? I read the PKGBUILD of LibreOffice. It's gigantic, I'm intimidated!

Perhaps I have later some time to look after KeePassXC and try to remove the connections for QtDbus - patch-file could be possible but no guarantee. Especially GIMP is planned but also a big one to remove dbus-dependencies. LibreOffice and OpenOffice are also planned, but as you've noted: Really, really big. So we can only go step by step: Adding more libraries for using later. Some will come today and tomorrow for video-editing for example, but they also need a good QA. So before I commit I'll do more tests for avidemux (for example). smile

So news about KeePassXC: It won't be ever possible to remove QtDbus. The alternative would be to completely rewrite the software as it is hard depending on that. So that's a clear NO for adding that kind of bloatware.

9 (edited by zapper 2021-06-25 04:07:20)

throgh wrote:

So news about KeePassXC: It won't be ever possible to remove QtDbus. The alternative would be to completely rewrite the software as it is hard depending on that. So that's a clear NO for adding that kind of bloatware.

I did some digging and found out, the keypassXC people are not only using dbus... they are downright antagonistic and toxic, steer clear from those bullies at all cost!

They think palemoon/XUL should be discarded and, they support systemd, dbus, etc...

Yeah, just don't even bother with their software, its crap.

hmm

The only suggestion I can make, is get a nitrokey to encrypt your stuff, or use gnu privacy assistant.  That is your best bet. 

I recommend using curve25519, just sayin...

I have done that before.

Nitrokey I believe can work without dbus, but, they also typically cost anywhere from 30$ to 200$ depending on what you want though, so I recommend gnu privacy guard also known as gpa.  It's what I have done before.

PS, look at their bug tracker for either their webextension version, or their keypassxc app and search for dbus...

You'll get my point.

Found a workaround for KeePassXC db,
1. Download KeePassXC AppImage.
2. Execute it, go to Database -> Database Security -> Encryption Settings -> Change to KDBX 3.1.

Now, can open it with keepassx.

My laptop trackpad doesn't work on v0.4. Mouse works. It works correctly on triskel bootable usb. What should I check for in dmesg?

Did you check bug of the century above?! What's the issue there?

sagaracharya wrote:

Found a workaround for KeePassXC db,
1. Download KeePassXC AppImage.
2. Execute it, go to Database -> Database Security -> Encryption Settings -> Change to KDBX 3.1.

Now, can open it with keepassx.

My laptop trackpad doesn't work on v0.4. Mouse works. It works correctly on triskel bootable usb. What should I check for in dmesg?

Did you check bug of the century above?! What's the issue there?

Hmm, my touchpad works fine, annoyingly so, if i don't have it disabled via script...

I prefer trackpoint...

that being said, I don't even know what type of computer you have.  So I cannot help at this time... hmm

Maybe someone else has an answer?

But yeah, what company made your computer?

Just wondering.

You could try checking that:

cat /proc/bus/input/devices | grep -i touchpad

Especially the output is important, so getting more information about the builtin component and if this is working. Corresponding packages available in the repositories - examples to follow:

xorg-input-evdev
xenocara-input-mouse
xenocara-input-synaptics

Besides that I've seen your report about speed-dreams and torcs: Please provide more information about what is not functional. Both worked so far fine within development-tests, but as those are very complex there can be problems at build-time for sure.

14 (edited by sagaracharya 2021-06-26 05:02:53)

zapper wrote:

that being said, I don't even know what type of computer you have.  So I cannot help at this time... hmm

HP Pavillion

I: Bus=0011 Vendor=0002 Product=0007 Version=01b1
N: Name="SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad"
P: Phys=isa0060/serio1/input0
S: Sysfs=/devices/platform/i8042/serio1/input/input14
U: Uniq=
H: Handlers=event19 mouse1
B: PROP=1
B: EV=b
B: KEY=e520 30000 0 0 0 0
B: ABS=660800011000003

throgh wrote:

Please provide more information about what is not functional

00:00:00.000 Default  Error   Could not start Speed Dreams : failed to cd to the datadir '/build/speed-dreams/src/speed-dreams-2.2.3/data/' (No such file or directory)

TORCS location not found

Regarding another issue altogether, pinentry has issues, can't generate key with gpg, rachad has confirmed.

Is it possible to test install 0.4?

Is there a page with a walk through? Upgrade from 0.31 possible?

thx

16 (edited by sagaracharya 2021-06-27 15:44:28)

throgh wrote:

xorg-input-evdev
xenocara-input-mouse
xenocara-input-synaptics

xorg-input-evdev was already installed right from start. trackpad didn't work.
I tried xenocara-input-* packages too. Both don't work.

the_hype wrote:

Currently, I would not suggest upgrading from 0.3.1 since removal of incompatible packages may not happen. 0.4 is very usable and should you choose to back up your data and create a fresh install of v0.4, it's pretty good.

17 (edited by zapper 2021-06-27 17:02:38)

the_hype wrote:

thx

It is very possible to install 0.4,  but its in an alpha/beta state right now, closer towards beta, but still slightly alpha.

Anyways, theres a wpa_supplicant issue so, if you upgrade, ethernet will be required for the time being, till a bug is fixed.

When you go to restart dhcpcd via openrc like this:

doas rc-service dhcpcd restart -v

* Executing: /usr/libexec/rc/sh/openrc-run.sh /usr/libexec/rc/sh/openrc-run.sh /etc/init.d/dhcpcd stop
* Stopping DHCP Client Daemon ...
* Will stop /sbin/dhcpcd
* Will stop PID in pidfile `/var/run/dhcpcd.pid'
* Will stop processes of `/sbin/dhcpcd'
* Sending signal 15 to PID 18825 ...                                     [ ok ]
* Sending signal 0 to PID 18825 ...                                      [ ok ]
* Executing: /usr/libexec/rc/sh/openrc-run.sh /usr/libexec/rc/sh/openrc-run.sh /etc/init.d/dhcpcd start
* Starting DHCP Client Daemon ...
* start-stop-daemon: fopen `/var/run/dhcpcd.pid': No such file or directory

[12:51:18] zapper:  * Detaching to start `/sbin/dhcpcd' ...
wlp2s0: starting wpa_supplicant
wlp2s0: failed to start wpa_supplicant
wlp2s0: Successfully initialized wpa_supplicant
OpenSSL: Failed to set cipher string 'DEFAULT@SECLEVEL=1'
SSL: Failed to initialize TLS context.
Failed to initialize EAPOL state machines.
nl80211: deinit ifname=wlp2s0 disabled_11b_rates=0     

Also, not all audio programs are ready for 0.4, including iceweasel-uxp, icedove-uxp and iceape-uxp,

they require sndio... and currently, you need alsa without sndio for programs to actually to work with audio.

Basically, you need to understand, 0.4 is not completely beta even.  Its close, but still not there.

Test in a spare computer that you will not be using due to lack of interest most of the time. Before you even think about using 0.4 on your regular one. Unless your good at debugging/compiling from source, like I have gotten to be... tongue

But seriously, at least wait till the people here say its in semi beta status.  Unless you want  some stuff to break. wink

I am on 0.4, but I am very, lets say, aware of many of these issues. So... yeah.

I changed to some stuff will break, because its close...

But yeah, wifi doesn't work in 0.4... yet.

And uxp stuff doesn't work with sound unless you have a precompiled build.

Anywho, you get the idea.

sagaracharya wrote:
zapper wrote:

HP Pavillion

I: Bus=0011 Vendor=0002 Product=0007 Version=01b1
N: Name="SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad"
P: Phys=isa0060/serio1/input0
S: Sysfs=/devices/platform/i8042/serio1/input/input14
U: Uniq=
H: Handlers=event19 mouse1
B: PROP=1
B: EV=b
B: KEY=e520 30000 0 0 0 0
B: ABS=660800011000003

throgh wrote:

Please provide more information about what is not functional

00:00:00.000 Default  Error   Could not start Speed Dreams : failed to cd to the datadir '/build/speed-dreams/src/speed-dreams-2.2.3/data/' (No such file or directory)

TORCS location not found

Regarding another issue altogether, pinentry has issues, can't generate key with gpg, rachad has confirmed.

Both - torcs and speed-dreams - have shown no error. Even with installing them again from repositories. So the error is for now not reproducable for me. Will test them again on another system!

sagaracharya wrote:

Currently, I would not suggest upgrading from 0.3.1 since removal of incompatible packages may not happen. 0.4 is very usable and should you choose to back up your data and create a fresh install of v0.4, it's pretty good.

thx, where do i find install images/instructions?

20 (edited by the_hype 2021-06-29 07:45:41)

sagaracharya wrote:

edit: sorry for the double post - there was an error and i did the captcha thing again - seems i cannot delete my posts - you are free to delete this.

the_hype wrote:

Edit /etc/pacman.conf and disable community repo (there's none yet in v0.4).
Edit /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist and enable just
Server = https://repo.hyperbola.info:50011/gnu-p … o/os/$arch

Double check that you've disabled all stable repos.

From this point, you can follow 0.3.1 instructions.

sagaracharya wrote:
the_hype wrote:

Edit /etc/pacman.conf and disable community repo (there's none yet in v0.4).
Edit /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist and enable just
Server = https://repo.hyperbola.info:50011/gnu-p … o/os/$arch

Double check that you've disabled all stable repos.

From this point, you can follow 0.3.1 instructions.

thx, will test it and post some results.

it seems all links on the download-page are dead (404) f.e. (https://repo.hyperbola.info/other/live_ … so.torrent)

Problem should be solved by now. Sorry for the delay! smile

25 (edited by the_hype 2021-07-01 12:17:19)

yeah, thx.

Just for the fun of it, i tryed and succeded in upgrading from 3.1 (manually removing incompatible packages) ... all working now - all conflicts resolved.

everything seems to work as intended.

these are the only issues so far:
- the touchpad is quirky now (but working)
- wifi-problems

OpenSSL: Failed to set cipher string 'DEFAULT@SECLEVEL=1'
SSL: Failed to initialize TLS context.
Failed to initialize EAPOL state machines.
nl80211: deinit ifname=wlp2s0 disabled_11b_rates=0

edit: the libressl problem is already know, as i saw above.

I conclude from a philosophical/ethical standpoint (which is indeed also a technical view) that hyperbola is the most human approach (which includes division from bloat) to a os-distribution i have ever saw. Congratulations, this is such a jewel in the world of computing - (most of the other stuff i analysed is just a pile of blownup crap). It's libre, it's human and it is just great! Keep it up, we are winning!