Re: [Hyperbola 0.4] Testing the initial installation

That has for now nothing to do with alsa-sndio - depending on your test-scenario itself. If you have more about that, please share information. As for now I'm through with testing the problems coming from the additional lines mentioned within the issue. And yes sndio is not stable, after a restart crashing. I'm trying now that with version 1.8.1, without any Debian-patches.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

sorry for the wait, here is my environment summary

device: old asus u36sd laptop

lspci:
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 05)

upgraded from stable to whitehole

doas gpasswd -a (user) audio
doas rc-update add sndiod default
doas rc-service sndiod start
alsamixer (verify sound is not muted)

rc-status:
sndiod             [  crashed  ]

summary - sound initially not working, after running command sndiod manually from the terminal the sound works, it still say crashed in rc-status but the sound continuously work fine until reboot

evironment:
lumina + spacemanfm-git (external)
iceweasel-uxp browser
used mpv/smplayer

testing:
lumina default logout sound theme works
playing some video/music works
playing some online videos works (sometime crashed)

some might related packages:

extra/alsa-lib 1.2.3.2-1 [installed]
    An alternative implementation of Linux kernel sound support
extra/alsa-sndio 0.2-5 [installed]
    ALSA PCM to play audio on sndio servers
extra/alsa-topology-conf 1.2.3-1 [installed]
    ALSA topology configuration files
extra/alsa-ucm-conf 1.2.3-1 [installed]
    ALSA Use Case Manager configuration (and topologies)
extra/alsa-utils 1.2.4-1 [installed]
    Utilities for configuring and using ALSA
extra/zita-alsa-pcmi 0.3.2-1 [installed]
    The successor of clalsadrv, provides easy access to ALSA PCM devices.
extra/libsndio 1.8.0-1 [installed]
    A small audio and MIDI framework part of the OpenBSD project (client
    library)
extra/sndio 1.8.0-1 [installed]
    A small audio and MIDI framework part of the OpenBSD project
extra/xvidcore 1.3.7-1 [installed]
    XviD is a free MPEG-4 video codec
extra/libmpeg2 0.5.1-6 [installed]
    Library for decoding MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 video streams.
extra/ffmpeg 2:4.3.2-1 [installed]
    Complete solution to record, convert and stream audio and video
extra/gst-plugins-base 1.18.3-1 [installed]
    Multimedia graph framework - base plugins
extra/gst-plugins-base-libs 1.18.3-1 [installed]
extra/mpg123 1.26.4-1 [installed]
    Console based real time MPEG Audio Player for Layer 1, 2 and 3

Thanks.
So I will push a change for sndio later. But I think this should be not called onto the build-server for now and needs more testing. Especially with browser-compatibility. Have so far basic tests working now - no alsa-sndio is not the problem.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

throgh wrote:

Thanks.
So I will push a change for sndio later. But I think this should be not called onto the build-server for now and needs more testing. Especially with browser-compatibility. Have so far basic tests working now - no alsa-sndio is not the problem.

Well, its not the only problem, I will clarify... I cannot make alsa work with alsa-sndio installed.

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!

The explanation therefore is the concurrent service for sndio itself. No connection towards that and the whole queue for audio is not working as alsa-sndio is a PCM-wrapper. But as I've said: I have it here working and will push my changes. Of course they are not final tested by everyone and therefore I'm going to link the git-commit later so everybody can download and recompile the package for a test. I have tested the following:

- video-playback with smplayer and mpv
- gaming (widelands, chocolate-doom, openblok etc.)
- music-playback
- some videos (slowly but okay as this is an old system for tests)

To summarize: Alsa is working and the rest also, even after a restart. Besides I have to define the global env-variable SDL_AUDIODRIVER in my .bashrc. It is the generic point about soundserver-implementations like sndio or others comparable. But as said: Nothing todo about alsa-sndio as this should be only used with sndio in combination.

And everyone can test sndio even now: Just modify the file sndiod under

/etc/conf.d/

and tryout. smile

Here is the git-commit for sndio: https://git.hyperbola.info:50100/~team/ … c4d4047624

32 (edited by zapper 2021-07-12 03:29:37)

throgh wrote:

Here is the git-commit for sndio: https://git.hyperbola.info:50100/~team/ … c4d4047624

Yep, sndio actually works now.  smile

I found a package online called gmixerctl, supposedly its a gui mixer for sndio,  but it fails due to some module issue...

I installed it, but when I use it,  this is the output:

raceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/gmixerctl", line 11, in <module>
    load_entry_point('gmixerctl==0.1.2', 'console_scripts', 'gmixerctl')()
  File "/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 489, in load_entry_point
    return get_distribution(dist).load_entry_point(group, name)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 2852, in load_entry_point
    return ep.load()
  File "/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 2443, in load
    return self.resolve()
  File "/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 2449, in resolve
    module = __import__(self.module_name, fromlist=['__name__'], level=0)
  File "<frozen zipimport>", line 259, in load_module
  File "/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/gmixerctl-0.1.2-py3.8.egg/gmixerctl/gui.py", line 6, in <module>
  File "/usr/lib/python3.8/tkinter/__init__.py", line 36, in <module>
    import _tkinter # If this fails your Python may not be configured for Tk
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named '_tkinter'

But hey, thumbs up on sndio finally getting fixed... smile

at least in that git patch you mentioned just now, aka the 1.8.1 version.

Okay, thanks for the feedback. For all game-enthusiasts using Hyperbola 0.4 right now: Please add the following to your .xsession and .bashrc:

export SDL_AUDIODRIVER="sndio"

The problem about gmixerctl: This is exclusively done for OpenBSD and the rcinit. For now this is not compatible with HyperRC / OpenRC or Runit itself. You could install that for sure, but this module is making also modifications towards the initialization of sndio, which is done at Hyperbola within sndio.confd (OpenRC) or conf (Runit). The error is coming from the naming of the tk-modules so this also needs more modifications within the python-code itself as also our version of Python. Here is the approval tk-modules are not compiled within:

Python 3.8.5 (default, Mar 13 2021, 21:43:20)
[GCC 8.4.0] on linux
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>>> import tkinter
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
  File "/usr/lib/python3.8/tkinter/__init__.py", line 36, in <module>
    import _tkinter # If this fails your Python may not be configured for Tk
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named '_tkinter'

Package sndio is now also within repositories in the new version: Please approve functionality.
Afterwards I'll close the corresponding issue!

throgh wrote:

Package sndio is now also within repositories in the new version: Please approve functionality.
Afterwards I'll close the corresponding issue!

Sndio still works, one side note, I didn't really realize gmixerctl was so... well... difficult to implement.

Perhaps a cli mode like alsa has would be good to implement somewhere down the road?

like alsamixer command, only obviously it would have per application support, 127 max volume, etc...

Again though, somewhere down the road, not now... smile

Thanks for adding focuswriter and fixing sndio  + help with wpa_supplicant. smile

A bit difficult, yes. Here some examples about the implementation:

https://git.sr.ht/~charles/gmixerctl/tr … /sndiod.py

It is about being full transparent. BSD-init has some flavors included OpenRC and Runit have the other side not that far or in some other way. Here we have to do some work as community. Besides I have fixed Inkscape right now and will later push that into the repositories. smile

If people have some ideas to experiment? I'll later share mine for now.

37 (edited by dikasp2 2021-07-13 09:55:42)

sndio works fine now, thanks Throgh.

Issues updated.

wifi connect - thx a lot

everything in place now! 0.4 is *GOLDEN*

Refresh for issues-listing!

Question for 1561: https://issues.hyperbola.info/index.php … sk_id=1561
Can somebody approve this is working now? I have not the corresponding hardware here available.

42 (edited by zapper 2021-08-05 18:28:38)

sndiod works with uxp via alsa-sndio, however, some things conflict with it. alas...

utox, looking at you lol....

By the way, the top of my list of things I want fixed is runit  and runit-init-scripts. smile

And then hp-lip maybe? Idk... lol.

You know that you should have a further look onto the configuration for ALSA and sndio in combination? Don't know the details for your soundcard especially, but the file .asoundrc is from my point of view absolutely mandatory. Therefore: https://github.com/Duncaen/alsa-sndio/b … /README.md

And as I've said: runit is for sure a task to be researched, but doing that cannot be my task alone. wink That's absolutely impossible for me to do as individual person. Not to be rude, just to make that clear that everyone can help here. Perhaps doing another thread with QA-routines? Taking care of services, step by step. It is not helpful to guess the problem-area. big_smile Especially: Is there a problem with qemu? What's about hp-lip? Step by step, but when 0.4 should be ready we need to do this together.

throgh wrote:

You know that you should have a further look onto the configuration for ALSA and sndio in combination? Don't know the details for your soundcard especially, but the file .asoundrc is from my point of view absolutely mandatory. Therefore: https://github.com/Duncaen/alsa-sndio/b … /README.md

And as I've said: runit is for sure a task to be researched, but doing that cannot be my task alone. wink That's absolutely impossible for me to do as individual person. Not to be rude, just to make that clear that everyone can help here. Perhaps doing another thread with QA-routines? Taking care of services, step by step. It is not helpful to guess the problem-area. big_smile Especially: Is there a problem with qemu? What's about hp-lip? Step by step, but when 0.4 should be ready we need to do this together.

I  didn't say anything about qemu today did I? either way, I get your point.  Your not being rude, I just say too much lol.

That being said,  sndio works for me 75% of the time and I leave it at that for now, otherwise this page will be filled with stuff thats not relevant...

qemu is only meant generic. smile And for sure: You say not even enough, please more to give the problems a voice. At best with logs as you did and do. Thanks for all of this and that's also meant for all interested. Help us testing. smile

46 (edited by zapper 2021-08-06 22:53:40)

throgh wrote:

qemu is only meant generic. smile And for sure: You say not even enough, please more to give the problems a voice. At best with logs as you did and do. Thanks for all of this and that's also meant for all interested. Help us testing. smile

Well the only problem with qemu, is the kvm part which, is that permission is denied from what I see. Unless you do the insane thing, and use root.

PS, don't recommend it for anyone thinking of doing so, root is a bit too much of a security risk.

Or you add the group kvm for example and add yourself into? Just a guess, not meant sarcastic as I'm not focussed onto this for now, but yes I have seen the warning of the missing group at OpenRC-startup. But this kind of problem would be for real nothing to do in ALPHA-state - when this is the point I have written now. Perhaps you can tryout and give us feedback, so it is possible to measure the point for an issue and on what state it should be solved for now.

48 (edited by zapper 2021-08-18 04:18:43)

throgh wrote:

Or you add the group kvm for example and add yourself into? Just a guess, not meant sarcastic as I'm not focussed onto this for now, but yes I have seen the warning of the missing group at OpenRC-startup. But this kind of problem would be for real nothing to do in ALPHA-state - when this is the point I have written now. Perhaps you can tryout and give us feedback, so it is possible to measure the point for an issue and on what state it should be solved for now.

Problem is, its on the comp that has runit... and for some reason, it will not let me switch back, tongue

No huge issue, just annoying is all.

I can wait for now

Haven't tested it on the other laptop yet though, I probably should though eh?

EDIT: I was able to switch back, albeit once I had the packages required installed, I did have to reboot the entire system by pressing power off by force...

Still better than nothing. wink

Added concurrent issues for further bug-hunting. smile

Added another issue.