Topic: Flat-Bed Scanner Support?

What packages are needed to operate a flat-bed scanner with Hyperbola?

Re: Flat-Bed Scanner Support?

Do you have a particular instrument in mind? Did you already install Hyperbola on it? What hardware does it use for scanning the documents?

sagaracharya wrote:

Do you have a particular instrument in mind? Did you already install Hyperbola on it? What hardware does it use for scanning the documents?

I think he would need hplip and cups? I think?

among a few other packages, for it to work.

But I don't see why not, depending on the printer...

Of course that is the key, which printer is it.

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!

I looked at this a little more.  I currently have an HP PSC 1315 printer/scanner all in one, and running Hyperbola 0.3 but will be wanting to use 0.4.  I have some other machines I want to run the testing version with but still working on that.

In version 0.3, I found I can use both the simple scan application and the xsane application to scan, but only when I log in as root, or when I have the scanner usb connection during boot up.  If I disconnect after boot-up, can only scan as root.  In this case, I think it is a permissions problem.  I have added myself to the scanner, adm, and sys groups, but the problem persists.

5 (edited by zapper 2021-08-18 04:20:16)

pigeon123 wrote:

I looked at this a little more.  I currently have an HP PSC 1315 printer/scanner all in one, and running Hyperbola 0.3 but will be wanting to use 0.4.  I have some other machines I want to run the testing version with but still working on that.

In version 0.3, I found I can use both the simple scan application and the xsane application to scan, but only when I log in as root, or when I have the scanner usb connection during boot up.  If I disconnect after boot-up, can only scan as root.  In this case, I think it is a permissions problem.  I have added myself to the scanner, adm, and sys groups, but the problem persists.

After you added your printer while in root, did you persay add your printer doing this without root?

hp-setup 192.168.10.192

You may have just forgotten a step...

alhough, yours might not be exactly the same ip, so when you use sudo to add yourself, or root, or similar, I am curious what ip address it tells you to type in the terminal.

If it says to do the way I said above, I would do it.

Then you will not need root! smile

EDIT: I just noticed that this is for getting the printing part working, as for the non printing part, I have no idea... never had to do so...

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!

Thanks for bringing this towards the attention. Could you provide more information and logs when executing the scanning-process, especially with the corresponding problem you've described within here? At best we could create an issue from those information later on, so there is an evaluation possible for package-development. smile

I'm not sure about getting simple-scan into the repositories as it has dependencies we don't want provide furthermore. But we are doing our best. sane as corresponding base is ready for a later commit and afterwards build-process.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

Sorry for the delay, but I got a chance to look at this again.

Under Hyperbola 0.3 I found that my scanner device file is being assigned to the 'lp' group instead of the 'scanner' group.  I was expecting the 'scanner' group so that is what threw me off.  It is an all in one device (printer + scanner) so perhaps that is why it gets assigned to the 'lp' group.  If I add my user to the 'lp' group then my user can access the scanner.  If I use the xsane application I can successfully find the scanner and make scans.

$ sane-find-scanner
found USB scanner (vendor=0x03f0 [hp], product=0x3f11 [psc 1310 series ]) at libusb:003:002

$ ls -l /dev/bus/usb/003/002
crw-rw-r-- 1 root lp 189, 257 Aug 23 22:03 /dev/bus/usb/003/002

I believe the backend is hpaio but not sure what package that comes from.

$ scanimage -L
device `hpaio:/usb/psc_1310_series?serial=CN473B6003O2' is a Hewlett-Packard psc_1310_series all-in-one 

I am trying to recall if the hplip is needed for this as I currently have it installed.  With 0.3 I also have these other services running.

$ rc-status
Runlevel: default
 dhcpcd                                                                                                           [  started  ]
 alsasound                                                                                                        [  started  ]
 cupsd                                                                                                            [  started  ]
 elogind                                                                                                          [  started  ]
 fuse                                                                                                             [  started  ]
 keymaps                                                                                                          [  started  ]
 agetty.tty9                                                                                          [  started 02:37:04 (0) ]
 agetty.tty8                                                                                          [  started 02:37:04 (0) ]
 agetty.tty7                                                                                          [  started 02:37:04 (0) ]
 agetty.tty6                                                                                          [  started 02:37:04 (0) ]
 agetty.tty5                                                                                          [  started 02:37:04 (0) ]
 agetty.tty4                                                                                          [  started 02:37:04 (0) ]
 agetty.tty3                                                                                          [  started 02:37:04 (0) ]
 agetty.tty2                                                                                          [  started 02:37:04 (0) ]
 agetty.tty12                                                                                         [  started 02:37:04 (0) ]
 agetty.tty11                                                                                         [  started 02:37:04 (0) ]
 agetty.tty10                                                                                         [  started 02:37:04 (0) ]
 agetty.tty1                                                                                          [  started 02:37:03 (0) ]
Dynamic Runlevel: hotplugged
Dynamic Runlevel: needed/wanted
 sysfs                                                                                                            [  started  ]
 devfs                                                                                                            [  started  ]
 udev                                                                                                             [  started  ]
 fsck                                                                                                             [  started  ]
 localmount                                                                                                       [  started  ]
 dbus                                                                                                             [  started  ]
 termencoding                                                                                                     [  started  ]
Dynamic Runlevel: manual

Hope this provides some useful feedback.  I want to put some time into  trying the testing version on another machine now, but I guess the sane package won't be there for now.

Must be your lucky day: https://www.hyperbola.info/packages/extra/x86_64/sane/ smile
Had some hard time for adding, but it is now available since late yesterday, included simple-scan also as we were able to remove critical parts: https://www.hyperbola.info/packages/ext … mple-scan/

Just to add: hplip is not yet finished.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

That's good news!  Thanks and even more looking forward to getting the testing version going on some hardware I have.