Re: Proposals for package-integration

NOTICE : THE PKGBUILD script provided in the post above was updated this morning.  if anyone downloaded it before I made the above post I advise downloading the newer version.

Thanks for notice: I had already prepared the next commit and would have added this. So adding the newest and add the optional depedency towards our jwm-build with a new package-release afterwards. smile

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

53 (edited by zapper 2021-09-30 20:18:35)

JWMKit wrote:

Zapper. Thank you for suggesting my software "JWM Kit" ( packaged as jwmkit ) for package-integration.

Yes, I am the author of JWM Kit, and I have communicated with Zapper before on another forum and on JWM Kit’s issue tracker. Unless this Zapper is an imposter wink

I’ve provided a working PKGBUILD example for JWM Kit on my sourceforge page. It should be a good start for anyone wishing to maintain the package. Take it and do as you wish with it.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/jwmkit … UILD/Arch/

I just want to make sure the information provided to the public about JWM Kit is correct.  Allow me to clear up a few things  by providing more detailed information. I guess some time has past since Zapper configured his system and does not remember things perfect. For instance JWM Kit’s logout prompt is over simplified and does not have this option. I’m sure he has confuse another solution he uses with JWM Kit.

The dependencies Zapper listed are Debian names. (which is how they are listed on the website.) For an arch system you need :  "python" "alsa-utils" "python-gobject"

As Zapper said you could make alsa-utils optional, but you would not be able to use the volume icon. I’d advise against it, but then many people do use their own choice of volume icon.  The nice thing about JWM Kit’s volume icon is it does not run in the background, it only works when it receive input (mouse action).

About the "weird mentions of dbus and other things" mentioned.

JWM Kit strives to provide freedom of choice. This means JWM Kit try not to force any unwanted dependencies or services on the user, but at the same time provides support them. JWM Kit does not depend on dbus, consolekit, elogind, SystemD but the features provided by these services are available for those who wish to use them. 

The good news is configuring these settings is easy as the First Run tool can help the user configure JWM Kit on the initial install.  @zapper this easy configuration option was introduced after you first installed JWM Kit.

As stated before I only wanted to make sure the info provided here was correct. I also find it odd that with all the many things this software can do you’d mention the features of the logout prompt. Different strokes for different folks.

Sorry for the long message

Thanks for replying, yes, I am in fact the same zapper from dev1galaxy.org

Indeed, I might have made some errors in my post, thanks for clearing that up!

I just meant, if they wanted to remove some of the stuff that is unneeded in the jwmkit_logout python script,

to make it lighter, it can be done! smile

I hope you don't mind, but I did this to the reboot and shutdown areas aka:

def reboot_command(widget):
        if len(sys.argv) < 2:
            os.system("doas /sbin/reboot")
        else:
            os.system("doas /sbin/reboot")

def shutdown_command(widget):
        if len(sys.argv) < 2:
            os.system("doas /sbin/poweroff")
        else:
            os.system("doas /sbin/poweroff")

for my config, but obviously there needs to be a change to make doas work without root for these specific commands...

like so:

permit nopass localuser as root cmd /sbin/poweroff
permit nopass localuser as root cmd /sbin/reboot

In the doas configuration file:

/etc/doas.conf 

In the case of Hyperbola. smile

One quick note though, can the volumeicon work with sndio instead? If not, no big deal, I mostly use volumeicon anyways. 

Just wondered! smile

Again, thanks for making JWM even better. smile

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!

54 (edited by JWMKit 2021-09-30 20:47:03)

I think were getting off topic. The thread is about packaging. I can't resist making a quick response, so please forgive me.

zapper wrote:
I just meant, if they wanted to remove some of the stuff that is unneeded in the jwmkit_logout python script, to make it lighter, it can be done!

I don't think saving a few bytes of memory is important for an app if the system is going to reboot or shutdown seconds after you start the app. smile
I'd also like to point out that newer version of JWM Kit provides many option for how reboot, and shutdown is performed. You can specify custom commands, have a terminal window launch and ask for a password, use gksudo, use a build in password prompt, many more all can be configured in jwmkit_first_run.

zapper wrote:
I hope you don't mind, but I did this to the reboot and shutdown areas.

Don't mind at all, that's what open source is for. Of course these changes would not work for everyone and would remove the features I mention previously.

Regarding the Otter Browser, a problem that is unable to bypass SSL certificate errors by ignoring on some websites. Maybe the Qt WebKit causes it to affect this.

Please remember: This is about proposals for packages, not for problem-solution, problems or issues in general. If there are, please report them as issue and help us tracking that. smile Don't want to interrupt a good talking-point, but please stay as far possible within topic. wink Solutions are not here and done elsewhere. When jwmkit needs more work: Please do so and help upstream.

One quick note though, can the volumeicon work with sndio instead? If not, no big deal, I mostly use volumeicon anyways.

No, we cannot change an applications purpose completely as volumeicon is meant for ALSA, not for sndio. wink

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

throgh wrote:

Please remember: This is about proposals for packages, not for problem-solution, problems or issues in general. If there are, please report them as issue and help us tracking that. smile Don't want to interrupt a good talking-point, but please stay as far possible within topic. wink Solutions are not here and done elsewhere. When jwmkit needs more work: Please do so and help upstream.

No, we cannot change an applications purpose completely as volumeicon is meant for ALSA, not for sndio. wink

Actually, I had meant that JWMKit change its icon used for volume to work with sndio, however, regardless, he seems to think he can make that an option in JWMKit.

Also, my bad for posting like I did in the wrong thread,  sorry about that,

I am sometimes forgetful. wink

Anywho, my bad.

Okay, this was my misunderstanding. Sorry as I read about volumeicon I thought you meant the named package. smile
If sndio can be made compatible, would be great. Besides: jwmkit is now awaiting the adaption on the build-server.

59 (edited by HarvettFox96 2021-10-06 05:28:28)

16 dependencies that are selectively included:

Nine dependencies that are selectively excluded:

60 (edited by HarvettFox96 2021-10-06 08:32:32)

And finally here, we just made a package build script file of LibreOffice version 7.0.4(.2). The main reason where LibreOffice in GTK3 without D-Bus variant doesn't have a menu bar above there, so we prefer switching to Qt5 instead.

We also included a compressed file containing two pre-built binary files of ICU version 67.1: genccode and gencmn.

Building LibreOffice works fine that it takes less than four hours.

One last thing, shall we include a package of the LibreOffice SDK to add into repo?

First things first: THANK YOU for the hard work. I'm onto to include first the libraries posted earlier and will do afterwards a compile-check onto 32bit - which will for sure last a bit longer as the little nice system here is not the youngest one but well? Regarding libreoffice-sdk: If you think it is helpful? Please feel free. smile

recommended qcomix for comicbook/ images reader
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/qcomix/

my previous test
okular,evince,atril,etc..
use dbus, huge depedencies
zathura
depedencies problem

63 (edited by HarvettFox96 2021-10-07 02:24:54)

dikasp2 wrote:

recommended qcomix for comicbook/ images reader
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/qcomix/

my previous test
okular,evince,atril,etc..
use dbus, huge depedencies
zathura
depedencies problem

Here you have it.

thanks mate smile

throgh wrote:

First things first: THANK YOU for the hard work. I'm onto to include first the libraries posted earlier and will do afterwards a compile-check onto 32bit - which will for sure last a bit longer as the little nice system here is not the youngest one but well? Regarding libreoffice-sdk: If you think it is helpful? Please feel free. smile

You're welcome, and how's building and testing LibreOffice to work?

Some more adjustments to be done, so it'll take a bit. I'll also rework some dependencies so more or less it will be comparable towards Arch-builds in the end. smile But just to remember for everyone: LibreOffice is a real big package to be built so some problems with different architectures will for sure occur in the first tryouts before it is final. And this also includes later librechroot-check before commit!

Two incoming packages of clipboard managers, They're entirely lightweight that don't need more necessary dependencies.

Dear all,

I have already posted about this in the Install/Update forum, but probably this is the better place.
Any news about the GNU Health package? It would be really nice if Luis Falcón could make an announcement about this.

Best regards, happy and healthy hacking

Thoreau wrote:

Dear all,

I have already posted about this in the Install/Update forum, but probably this is the better place.
Any news about the GNU Health package? It would be really nice if Luis Falcón could make an announcement about this.

Best regards, happy and healthy hacking

This is probably the better place to post it, yeah...

From what I see on the AUR repo, I think it might be possible to add such a package.

It doesn't look like it has any crazy dependencies.

70 (edited by zapper 2021-10-10 21:56:14)

One more package I have to add and Emulatorman considers this one mega urgent: 

https://codeberg.org/JWMKit/soundbraid/releases

It is a aucatctl sndio mixer, 

In my opinion, it is like an extremely lightweight way of doing a pavucontrol for sndio. wink

Only light as a feather by comparison and extremely light on dependencies.

It also has per application sound support! Which we need very, badly.... smile

The PYTHON folder inside of that zip, btw has the main executable.

Thanks for the proposals, but I care again to remember for the part: Every package being new integrated needs quite more testing and enhances also the complexity in a whole. Please remember that: The more packages, applications, libraries and additions, the more possible test-cases, the more possible security-vectors to check. wink

Also in relation for gnuhealth, here to check about dependencies: https://archlinux.org/packages/extra/x86_64/pyside2/
So this will take first time and second more approval as those big packages are not very friendly for integration.

72 (edited by JWMKit 2021-10-11 02:54:40)

Thanks again zapper for proposing my software for package-integration.
Just a heads up. I found a bug in yesterdays release that I felt was pretty important to deal with. I have made a new release and deleted the old one. Sorry if this caused trouble for anyone.  If you have already created a PKGBUILD file It should be as simple as updating the checksum and build version.  This one should be easy to package, but If it's helpful I have a rough draft for the PKGBUILD file on my sourceforge page. (link below) 
Tip : it expect the icon to be in  /usr/share/pixmaps/

https://sourceforge.net/projects/jwmkit … UILD/Arch/

Note : My PKGBUILD file does not list aucatctl or sndio as dependencies as I did not know hyperbola's package names.

Hope the info is helpful and again sorry for having to re-do the release.

I'm hopeful that some here may be interested in a package of my new release of JWM Kit with SNDIO Features. Sorry for putting these releases so close together. I'm just making the best of extra free time I've been blessed with recently.  Maybe I should pull away from coding and tryout Hyperbola. wink

There has been a lot of clean up that allows for cleaner packages and a cleaner PKGBUILD file that will be easier to understand.  No need for various file in /etc/ due to incomplete code.

Again I have provided a PKGBUILD file you can reference or modify. It can be downloaded on the release page below. It has a line for optional depends that is commented out.  I'll let you guys make the decisions on these.

https://codeberg.org/JWMKit/JWM_Kit/releases

JWMKit wrote:

I'm hopeful that some here may be interested in a package of my new release of JWM Kit with SNDIO Features. Sorry for putting these releases so close together. I'm just making the best of extra free time I've been blessed with recently.  Maybe I should pull away from coding and tryout Hyperbola. wink

There has been a lot of clean up that allows for cleaner packages and a cleaner PKGBUILD file that will be easier to understand.  No need for various file in /etc/ due to incomplete code.

Again I have provided a PKGBUILD file you can reference or modify. It can be downloaded on the release page below. It has a line for optional depends that is commented out.  I'll let you guys make the decisions on these.

https://codeberg.org/JWMKit/JWM_Kit/releases

That would be cool, but before you go full Hyperbola, I recommend remembering dbus is going to be nixed in the future, so you will have most of what you need, I am sure.
The only issue you may have, is the web browser situation... tongue

Otter Browser is probably the most usable at this point, although it would be lovely if someone could develop a noscript feature for it.

That all being said, you seem to have a good heart, thank you.

I also thank Throgh, and the Hyperbola developers as a whole.

Side note btw, we do have uxp still for now, but who knows how long that will be.  ;/

I have one package to add to the list, but it should not be done till 0.5, and that is citra... the 2018 version:

https://github.com/libretro/citra2018

I say not until 0.5, because you guys are loaded with work already.

Be aware that retroarch (libretro) is a real problematic case in a whole. We could review that later on for sure, but as far I have that remembered: snes9x and other unfree emulators are part of that. So I don't know for now if this special slight forked version of citra can be used as there are also no stable releases available. sad

Regarding the new release of jwmkit: Thanks for this, will be added within the next time. smile