1 (edited by zapper 2018-03-28 01:37:27)

Topic: A question about packages for hyperbola

I just know if I use hyperbola that I have only a few small requests, nextcloud-client, firetools and nitrokey-app.

I wondered if  the appimage version of nextcloud-client works on hyperbola

and nitrokey-app I could compile from source I am sure, which leaves firetools as probably something I am not sure about...

I am just curious though, can all three of these things be compiled for hyperbola with or without a dev?

and also, if the nextcloud appimage would work. 

Let me know, I have another computer I will put hyperbola on until FDE becomes an option for this one.  smile

EDIT:
Well,  two out of three work at least without much trouble... heh.

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!

Re: A question about packages for hyperbola

Appimage work in Hyperbola. I use OpenShot appimage.

For more apps i not opinion

I compiled Lucky Backup just because it was less trouble than dealing with all the bad filenames in my 4 TBs worth of archives dating back to the turn of the millenium. 

I forget what else was less trouble to compile than make do without.

The worst that's happened so far is that I broke Nitrogen but I really prefer Feh anyway, so no biggie.

Don't worry, I have a clone of right before I started compiling and I'm much more comfortable with clean installs than I was last week. wink

Would it help Hyperbola for even someone like me to share what I decide to compile and what breaks or would that just be unecessary noise and drama?

I'd gladly help build packages if I knew how. I have three Hyperbolized laptops now, at least two more when I have time,  and only need to use Debian-based for scanning and printing at the moment.

4 (edited by zapper 2018-04-17 02:31:06)

noordinaryspider wrote:

I compiled Lucky Backup just because it was less trouble than dealing with all the bad filenames in my 4 TBs worth of archives dating back to the turn of the millenium. 

I forget what else was less trouble to compile than make do without.

The worst that's happened so far is that I broke Nitrogen but I really prefer Feh anyway, so no biggie.

Don't worry, I have a clone of right before I started compiling and I'm much more comfortable with clean installs than I was last week. wink

Would it help Hyperbola for even someone like me to share what I decide to compile and what breaks or would that just be unecessary noise and drama?

I'd gladly help build packages if I knew how. I have three Hyperbolized laptops now, at least two more when I have time,  and only need to use Debian-based for scanning and printing at the moment.

I would say that, if you have a few extra, do so if you wish, but I would bet you would end up mostly doing bug reports and not much else.

But seriously do it in qemu if you feel the need that is what they, the developers do.

here is a qemu script for you:

/usr/bin/qemu-system-x86_64 \
    -monitor stdio \
    -soundhw ac97 \
    -k es \
    -machine accel=kvm \
    -m 1024 \
    -cdrom ~/.aqemu/hyperbola-milky-way-v0.2.3-dual.iso \
    -hda ~/.aqemu/hyper.img \
    -boot once=d,menu=off \
    -net nic,vlan=0 \
    -net user,vlan=0 \
    -rtc base=localtime \
    -name "Hyperbola GNU/Linux-libre x86_64"

ps, for me the folder I put my milky way in was ~/.aqemu

for you it may be different... hehe. ask if you need to know more. okay?

You're probably right. I do miss virtualizing and I have enough power on my unlibrebootable Thinkpad T61 for the 32 bit image, which isn't going to interfere with my workflow when I mess up big time. big_smile

Apologies for enthusiasm that is greater than my skills at the present time. I hope 32 bit support will be around for awhile, since it takes so much more power (and therefore greater financial cost) to virtualize a 64 bit image.

6 (edited by zapper 2018-04-17 21:26:23)

noordinaryspider wrote:

You're probably right. I do miss virtualizing and I have enough power on my unlibrebootable Thinkpad T61 for the 32 bit image, which isn't going to interfere with my workflow when I mess up big time. big_smile

Apologies for enthusiasm that is greater than my skills at the present time. I hope 32 bit support will be around for awhile, since it takes so much more power (and therefore greater financial cost) to virtualize a 64 bit image.

I do believe you can do 64 bit image. It depends which computer you use it on.  I have an 8gb ram x200 librebooted of course, and I have no trouble using virtualization on it. Matter of fact, if you have 4gb of ram you'd be fine doing so. smile

ps, IF you are willing, and/or use liberapay, donate some money to them if you can/are willing or through some other method.

IF not, just know this was a suggestion. I just want them to stick around for a long, long time. smile

ps, I did so just now. wink

I was using PayPal for my donations before so I need to set up a liberapay account to take care of that. Small donations do add up over time and I intend to stick around.

It looks like I need to spend a bit more time learning how to use my Librebooted T400 though, lol. I thought virtualizing on it (or either of my DIY librebooted X60 tablet convertibles or my own X200 tablet convertible once its BIOS is freed) was out of the question. Both of them have 4GB but the T400 can be maxed out to 8, iirc. 

I couldn't resist trying to hyperbolize my netbooks (lower end plural Asus eeePC; 900A and 2GigSurf) even though they aren't usable yet and would love to see what my T21 could do with modern Hyperbola and featherweight choices of software.  smile

noordinaryspider wrote:

I was using PayPal for my donations before so I need to set up a liberapay account to take care of that. Small donations do add up over time and I intend to stick around.

It looks like I need to spend a bit more time learning how to use my Librebooted T400 though, lol. I thought virtualizing on it (or either of my DIY librebooted X60 tablet convertibles or my own X200 tablet convertible once its BIOS is freed) was out of the question. Both of them have 4GB but the T400 can be maxed out to 8, iirc. 

I couldn't resist trying to hyperbolize my netbooks (lower end plural Asus eeePC; 900A and 2GigSurf) even though they aren't usable yet and would love to see what my T21 could do with modern Hyperbola and featherweight choices of software.  smile

Yep, I agree wholeheartedly we need Hyperbola to stick around. 

ps, Your T400 libreboot, you may want to have FDE on in the future.  Though I highly recommend you, A store a copy of the files somewhere besides that comp. And B, you ask help from irc or something on how to install Hyperbola with FDE. I can tell you it is not hard as long as you follow the instructions exactly.