Topic: Blender or not defending free software?

Hey together,

just again is blender in the news with this time Apple joining for supporting and therefore again the question: Is this package and application for real supporting free software? Or is it just again the same open-source nonsense? Just to list the names:

Apple
Amazon AWS
Unity
AMD
Epic
NVIDIA
Facebook
Microsoft
Adobe
Intel

Free or just the simulation? And please: No company on this planet help because it is supporting charity for the greater good. That's just marketing to purify the name and showing some kind of progression and sympathy. In the end: Open-source is the promise to do whatever, but not with returning all parts, opening firmware-blobs or interfaces and API-collections. Always stays something in the back. So "open-source" is just a false promise.

I don't think it would be helpful to integrate blender. With libreoffice, virt-manager (or comparable) and 0ad there should be an end so we could enter the BETA-test. Yes, same as with dbus that is no decision most people look out for, but better to do it now. Running behind services and applications just making foul compromises? And from my point of view: It is enough even now having problems with Github or YouTube for example. So don't tell me that companies having for real NOTHING to do with free and libre projects like Adobe supporting some kind of because they believe in that. A bad joke: They have always denied that concept and will do that also in the future. Better to just don't care about projects accepting this kind of "(foul) support". So for me stating: I won't include blender. If anybody else has interest, please do. But I won't include such a "care-package" and look for removing further unfree parts being even more chained into for every new version to come (I mean you CUDA). Something broken by design cannot be repaired, just forked and redone perhaps at some point, but this is not the responsibility of Hyperbola itself.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

Re: Blender or not defending free software?

I see.

However in Parabola, Blender was added without serveral issues and removing CUDA of course

https://www.parabola.nu/packages/libre/x86_64/blender/

Yes, the point is only: Removing unfree interfaces is an option. But especially blender has now so many supporters not onto free, libre software. Either they are onto creating something out of it or literally do something else like audacity is now into. sad

Hyperbola is not to compared with Parabola or Trisquel. Does not mean those are bad systems, but we have other points we look onto and just even more strict towards principles of protection the users. You could therefore add blender for sure yourself, but that is then your own decision. So this is the discussion to ask within the community and discuss that point described through the title. smile

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

I may am getting my turn to make a package build of Blender as well as some dependencies after preferring version 2.83.

As far possible would be good to remove cuda. wink
If the package itself accepted from the community, no problem at all. The reasoning is just about the problems could come.