1 (edited by myrcy 2021-10-19 23:52:07)

Topic: Flatpak - how to install

Hey! I realize, after migrating Hyperbola does not include Flatpack in the repositories. Is anyone aware of an easy way to install it on Hyperbola?

Despite its controversial existence to the free software community, it remains a very useful tool to install a lot of FLOSS applications and does not require you to add any of the non-free repositories to use ( install from file ).

Thanks for any help you can provide in my attempt to get my flatpack working on Hyperbola.

Re: Flatpak - how to install

I am aware it is in the Parabola repositories, is there any reason it isn't in Hyperbola's?

Re: Flatpak - how to install

Hello myrcy, the Hyperbola-project won't provide support for flatpak at any given time. The reasoning therefore: It would be a packaging-system within the system package-management itself and out of control for the user what is clearly installed under a free license. It would be therefore possible to construct a usecase where unfree packages, therefore applications and libraries, would be just easy to be installed, which therefore makes the system itself violating the FSDG. To quote:

In particular, a free system distribution should be self-hosting. This means that you must be able to develop and build the system with tools that the system provides you. As a result, a free system distribution cannot include free software that can only be built by using nonfree software.

Same for other packaging-systems like npm, cargo, conan, pip and so on from the same reasoning: You would be able to provide unfree packages throughout them. Parabola is a complete different project and system, not to be compared with Hyperbola. wink Their decision to provide support for flatpak, but ours here is to exclude all those further package-management-systems.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!