1 (edited by zapper 2021-11-04 23:54:14)

Topic: How to get console-tdm up and running!

https://github.com/dopsi/console-tdm

obviously you need to install console-tdm, xinit and dialog (if you want the gui)

But here are the steps to getting it to run properly.

1: do this in your  non root account:
tdmctl init
tdmctl add yourwindowmanager /usr/bin/yourwindowmanagerEXECUTABLE 

2: Then edit your .bash_profile and add:

tdm && exit

if you want to logout automatically when the window manager is closed, add exit so no one can use your comp till you put your password and login in. smile

3:  Make a file called .xinitrc and put it in your /home/user folder. 

tdm --xstart

IT should work after this, otherwise scroll below to my warning:

WARNING though, not dangerous just ANNOYING! and it RARELY happens anyways:

If it refuses to start after all this, there might be some sort of an error.

I had this on my x230 laptop for some reason where you would have to disable-xrunning-check

meaning automatic login was not able to be setup.

Which means one you logged in you had to type in something before you logged in like this:

tdm 

Then your gui or text mode options would appear

Just don't put the --disable-xrunning-check option into .xinitrc or .bash_profile to fix this problem.

If you want to fix it, I recommend looking into .config/tdm/

and checking to see if the problem is there.

or,  doas nano /usr/bin/tdm  (not recommended unless you need automatic login and it wont work any other way!)

and work from there!

BEFORE YOU SCROLL DOWN... BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL! I WOULD PREFER NO ERRORS COME FROM THIS! okay? anyways look below now:

IF you do this, make a backup config file with cp -r  of your /usr/bin/tdm

in case something goes screwy...

then I suppose you could disable xrunning-check, I am not sure if this will fix it. But you can try if you wish.

NOTE! I should add this wasn't needed on my T430 at all.

Both have a version/fork of  coreboot and intel me is disabled on it.  wink

It is also possible something was screwy with my X230, so maybe this is a 1% chance of being a problem.

Just mentioning cause it happened to me on one comp once.  wink

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!

Re: How to get console-tdm up and running!

Until now we don't have concrete articles for different basic packages. But I think that's a good idea. Do you have interest creating articles within the wiki itself?

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

3 (edited by zapper 2021-11-06 02:52:13)

Re: How to get console-tdm up and running!

throgh wrote:

Until now we don't have concrete articles for different basic packages. But I think that's a good idea. Do you have interest creating articles within the wiki itself?

Hmm, I am not really too familiar with what that would entail, does it require me to be using ssh or something like that? Or is it just extra permissions for me as a user in git.

Either way, I think you could add this documentation to the wiki yourself, but if you are not willing, read below this:

I don't exactly know nearly as much as I should on certain issues... wink

tdm, qemu, openrc, mpv with sndio support for mp4 and video files? yes all to those. I am unknown to some guides though.

I should also add I could also modify your full disk encryption guide slightly, because these:  " "
Cannot be near i915 in the uncommented modules part of mkinitcpio.conf

Long story short, I could be helpful, if you'd like, I will help when I am available whenever possible, but keep in mind I would be new to some of this.

Just sayin... tongue

I am willing though, just let me know what is required.

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!