Re: [Hyperbola 0.4] Testing the initial installation

I have mailed you the details of my hardware 3 days ago.

sagaracharya wrote:

I have mailed you the details of my hardware 3 days ago.

Feel free to pm me on pidgin, if nothing else, I can send the same info, via tox or xmpp.

The next chance I get I will try to contact Throgh in case something unforeseen is blocking your messages or idk something else?

Anywho, peace for now man.

Insomnia sucks...

wink

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!

The best and only way stays: https://issues.hyperbola.info/
If you send me or someone else details it will be then our task to recreate and document that issue, but without all knowledge about all details. I know this situation very well and I can say: That will never work good. In the end the developer is doing all parts of an issue instead helping to solve the real problem. So my conclusion stays: Please don't send me only details individual and instead document them for yourself as I'm for sure here reading, but not the only one to test, recreate and understand problems. smile

And I have no mail received until now. So here we have the next part of the problem and again to point at best on the issues.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

Good news btw!  I know now how to make console-tdm autolog out of tty after you exit your windowmanager or lumina desktop!

On .bash_profile you change the part where it says:

tdm

to this:

tdm && exit tdm

then you can autolog out of the  current tty that you are logged into your user account with.

it will then show you the option to login to your user account.

ps, xdm flops right now, only console-tdm works for me currently. Just a heads up.

If I try to login with xdm, it pretends I didn't try and tells me essentially to type in my credentials again.

Also note that this is the same password I use which works in console-tdm. wink

That's my good and bad news.

For xdm you always need the file .xsession being executable and including the concrete session (window- / desktop-manager) to be used. As an example for icewm:

exec icewm-session

Otherwise xdm won't be able to find your concrete environment to be executed at runtime.

Here also: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/XDM#De … he_session

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

81 (edited by zapper 2021-11-04 23:51:21)

throgh wrote:

For xdm you always need the file .xsession being executable and including the concrete session (window- / desktop-manager) to be used. As an example for icewm:

exec icewm-session

Otherwise xdm won't be able to find your concrete environment to be executed at runtime.

Here also: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/XDM#De … he_session

Hmm, good note! I had no idea.    I will try it another time when I need to. smile

Or have the time and  motivation to do so.

Does not need much motivation! smile
Just simple and plain to configure as I'm using xdm since 0.3 without problems.

Updated issue-list. And again the reminder: We need help with testing and fixing.
We are just not many enough.

throgh wrote:

Does not need much motivation! smile
Just simple and plain to configure as I'm using xdm since 0.3 without problems.

Oh alright, then no worries, my bad... tongue

I just misconfigured it, I guess.

Just a common note: Please look from time to time at the issues you all have created. We are doing that here in our all free time and it is exhausting to wait for feedback. Feedback about basic information for the window-managers you have installed, your configuration, your hardware and your settings. Personally I have no further interest to wait for eternity. Being friendly and with solidarity is for sure a common ground here, but please don't abuse that with long waiting or never answering. Free software works only with all of us, not only with some of us here doing the work and the rest is watching. That's unfair!

And in the end everyone is dissatisfied with 0.4 not being finished. So please: Help us and tell more about the settings. Only mentioning errors is nothing any testing could accept because it is absolutely impossible to recreate the error and find some solution. What kind of fonts you have installed? What kind of libraries are missing for some games? What kind of sound-problems occur because of last settings in packages gone wrong? We cannot search for some needle hiding when you don't give us more details within the issues and just mention the concurrent situation of the error itself. What leads to the error ... that is the interesting part. We don't go for packages just for the fun: So we test them before the commit, but our environment is for sure different to yours.

And please: Do not send only individuals some information, give them back in the issues created.
Developers cannot find information and solutions, when being at once responsible for all and everything. This team here is small and the more information is not given the longer 0.4 takes to create.

86 (edited by zapper 2021-11-10 00:58:20)

throgh wrote:

Just a common note: Please look from time to time at the issues you all have created. We are doing that here in our all free time and it is exhausting to wait for feedback. Feedback about basic information for the window-managers you have installed, your configuration, your hardware and your settings. Personally I have no further interest to wait for eternity. Being friendly and with solidarity is for sure a common ground here, but please don't abuse that with long waiting or never answering. Free software works only with all of us, not only with some of us here doing the work and the rest is watching. That's unfair!

And in the end everyone is dissatisfied with 0.4 not being finished. So please: Help us and tell more about the settings. Only mentioning errors is nothing any testing could accept because it is absolutely impossible to recreate the error and find some solution. What kind of fonts you have installed? What kind of libraries are missing for some games? What kind of sound-problems occur because of last settings in packages gone wrong? We cannot search for some needle hiding when you don't give us more details within the issues and just mention the concurrent situation of the error itself. What leads to the error ... that is the interesting part. We don't go for packages just for the fun: So we test them before the commit, but our environment is for sure different to yours.

And please: Do not send only individuals some information, give them back in the issues created.
Developers cannot find information and solutions, when being at once responsible for all and everything. This team here is small and the more information is not given the longer 0.4 takes to create.

Well, while we are on the subject:

https://forums.hyperbola.info/viewtopic … 3732#p3732

I made a post on the thread about it in the above link...

"you need to make certain changes to mkinitcpio.conf via the full disk encryption guide, either the one for newbies on this forum, or the libreboot one, in either case though,
there is one change mkinitcpio.conf does not say to make which is crucial or it won't boot:

At the very top non commented MODULES line, you must remove the apostrophes after the = sign, or everything else won't work in booting.

And if you make this mistake, I will try to tell you how to chroot into the system, but try to avoid making that mistake.

IF NOT, you should very much be able to easily, do both!

I wish you the best on your goal. Hope this helps."

Last I checked, it was still an issue for the 0.3.1 ISO.

Yeah, let me know your thoughts.

This for newbies who play to install with FDE encrypted - boot
or FDE + /boot encrypted

Updated list of issues!

Updated list for issues, tested and solved:

Issue 1582 - Package [android-file-transfer] is not functional
Issue 1555 - Installation for syslinux

There are updates now incoming for linux-libre-lts, xenocara and mesa so the remaining problems can be researched and resolved.

Just to refresh the invitation and question for help: We need for sure help with testing all services, applications and components for 0.4 upcoming. Also: There are issues being created but never received any reaction until today. It is friendly to look on them from time to time instead leaving them for the developers to do anything about it. That's for sure not enough for any kind of approval. smile

Updated issues-list.

92 (edited by zapper 2021-11-24 03:41:29)

throgh wrote:

Updated issues-list.

I am not sure, but I may have ran into an issue... the temperature of my system is like 5x higher than normal and I am barely using any cpu power or memory...

I am updated on everything recently sent to the mirror before 2 days ago last I checked.

Or to be more accurate, 0.4's most recent additions...

Although, it says git moved a new kernel, yet...   

I look to update, and no 5.10.70 kernel has been added yet., something odd about that, but oh well.

Sorry, the kernel needs time for building. Even when available within git this package needs much time before being ready. Regarding the mentioned temperature: That's a bit vague for now and nothing we can do about without more information. If you think this is for sure a problem, please provide more data when the new kernel is ready.

94 (edited by zapper 2021-11-24 18:49:42)

throgh wrote:

Sorry, the kernel needs time for building. Even when available within git this package needs much time before being ready. Regarding the mentioned temperature: That's a bit vague for now and nothing we can do about without more information. If you think this is for sure a problem, please provide more data when the new kernel is ready.

Ah, how many days does it take to build kernel?

Either way, the temperature problem isn't happening at the moment...

meh...

no worries! smile

By the way, small edit: I did not know that badwolf could be used for watching videos and that it was better at avoiding crap, I feel so absurd now lol...

-_-

Anyways that aside,  appreciate Hyperbola sometimes more and more, I learn new stuff aka...

wink

Hope that we all can learn more every day again. smile
Life is about learning, sometimes not the nicest things. But that's another story as I think Hyperbola should be all way around learning the nice way. Meaning: With interest and deep diving into more parts of the system.

More updates on issues as Battle for Wesnoth is now fixed and ready for building including all translations got missing before. big_smile
We have now "loggers" with rsyslog and syslog-ng. And long missed but also incoming is spamassassin! Was in preparation for the last weeks.

Building the kernel can last for hours, depending on what option you have chosen. Afterwards intense testing is needed for sure before final inclusion in the package-database.

I am sick of silly mistakes! I executed aplay -l without being root!
Here is the new output which looks okay to me. There's no sound though!

[anonymous@anonymous ~]$ doas aplay -l
doas (anonymous@anonymous) password:
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: HDMI [HDA Intel HDMI], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: HDMI [HDA Intel HDMI], device 7: HDMI 1 [HDMI 1]
card 0: HDMI [HDA Intel HDMI], device 8: HDMI 2 [HDMI 2]
card 0: HDMI [HDA Intel HDMI], device 9: HDMI 3 [HDMI 3]
card 0: HDMI [HDA Intel HDMI], device 10: HDMI 4 [HDMI 4]
card 1: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC3227 Analog [ALC3227 Analog]
[anonymous@anonymous ~]$

What do you mean with "silly mistakes", especially done by whom? Last time we have dicussed about that part there were even no devices shown. So again the proposal just to use ALSA for now but you need to configure .asoundrc first and approve alsasound is running at runlevel default also.

The only way I have been able to get sndio working to my desired outcome, is to make sure /etc/asound.conf is changed on the inside to look like this:

# Use sndio sound server by default
pcm.!default {
        type sndio
}

# vim:set ft=alsaconf:

Otherwise for somethings it will not work, such as games... sad

throgh wrote:

What do you mean with "silly mistakes", especially done by whom?

My silly mistake.

No offense taken, hope also none given. smile
My question is in relation towards who is needing help (for sure clear) and who needs to go into especially. So we can solve that together and have in the end something to be cleared also when something needs more refinement.