Topic: Install Hyperbola Plasma

Hello, Hyperbola community!

I am trying to spread Hyperbola to people by authoring my first desktop tutorial. I managed to install Hyperbola with KDE Plasma Desktop on a virtual machine, then documented it as a tutorial on website, and here let me share with you a summary in step by step. I hope this could be a good contribution to Hyperbola community. In this humble tutorial, we will use 'hypermachine' as the hostname.

Goals

- root's username: root
- root's password: hyperman
- normal user: hyperman
- normal user's password: hyperman

Step 1. Install Hyperbola

Follow Hyperbola Installation Guide to have a working minimum system. Welcome to GNU system!

Step 2 Install Xenocara Display server

# useradd -m hyperman
# passwd hyperman
# pacman -S xenocara-server xenocara-xinit
# pacman -S networkmanager 
# rc-update add NetworkManager default

Note: Hyperbola uses OpenRC and is fully free from Systemd thus we use rc-update instead of systemctl here.

Note: Hyperbola uses Xenocara instead of Xorg (also known as X11) and this distinguishes it from Parabola.

Step 3. Install KDE Plasma Desktop

# pacman -S plasma-meta sddm kde-applications
# rc-update add sddm default
# reboot

To this point, you should have a working Hyperbola with Plasma desktop. Congratulations!

https://i.imgur.com/3zY5KBG.png

Re: Install Hyperbola Plasma

Wow, that's very cool. Thanks for the link and for sure the article.
Going a bit late for now, but it would be unkind just not to answer. I'll read later through and edit this posting. smile

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

3 (edited by sagaracharya 2021-12-01 11:08:33)

Re: Install Hyperbola Plasma

This is excellent work Malsasa. Unfortunately, it would be useful perhaps for a couple months at most. Plasma is gonna be removed from v0.4 which is almost around the corner. Also, the packages in v0.3.1 are a bit old.

We'd love it if you can install different wm s in v0.4, find the most pleasant wm and create 1 tutorial for installation on that
and one with DE lumina.

Thanks a lot, we appreciate the content.