Topic: Repository Mirrors, Web Package Search and Mailing List Not Working

Hello Hyperbola Community!

I am happy now I am part of this great community. I kindly report that these Hyperbola's server and mirror are currently not working on my end. Please check at your end and I kindly ask you how to solve this issue.

Issues:
- Previously working, now I cannot update, upgrade, nor install any package for these last 2 days.
- On web package search, I cannot search for many packages, or, search often returns missing packages although they exist.
- Web mailing list also not working, I cannot visit https://lists.hyperbola.info:50200//mailman/listinfo.
- My internet access is healthy, as a comparison, both Arch's and Parabola's infrastructures are working at my end.

Package search:
https://www.hyperbola.info/packages

Please try to search 'plasma-desktop' or 'qtcreator' or 'sddm', they are missing from the search but actually exist in the repo, aside from many others missing packages. Those results say "No matching packages found". I just did search as normally a web searching would be like at Arch's and Parabola's.

Mirrors:
`# pacman -Syy`

for these last 2 days would return
https://i.imgur.com/TObASBJ.png

Mailing list:
https://lists.hyperbola.info:50200//mailman/listinfo

Please try to visit that with your web browser. Can you visit it? I cannot at the moment by the message "Unable to connect [...] Firefox can’t establish a connection to the server at lists.hyperbola.info:50200." Both my Firefox and Tor Browser cannot visit it. I want to search and read the mailing list about Hyperbola.

Question:
How to solve this issue so I can do web package search completely, join mailing list and pacman -Syyu normally again?

Thank you very much for your help and attention. I apologize for my mistakes in writing this question as I am a new member here.

Greetings,

Malsasa

Re: Repository Mirrors, Web Package Search and Mailing List Not Working

Hello Malsasa,

thanks for the feedback onto those issues. For now this would be only my personal assumption but I think the stable ISO has issues with installation as the packages wget and curl were too old and we have upgraded them - without a newer ISO-file. I'll take that assumption and speak with the team, so we see if we can bring a solution towards that problem for installation.

For now I would recommend a dirty workaround and to modify your pacman.conf as follows for the packages:

[core]
SigLevel = Never
Include = /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist

[extra]
SigLevel = Never

[community]
SigLevel = Never

[multilib]
SigLevel = Never

The reasoning is more or less very simple: We are a very small team and have most of our time invested into our upcoming release 0.4. This does not mean we don't want be aware of problems with the last stable release 0.3.1 for sure. It is just the missing time for everything. So coming to the next problem you are describing: The websearch for the packages only shows the concurrent testing-version, not the stable one. Also here the reasoning: The community needs insights for the packages and the final result in the package-database. So we can also see where is something missing, marked as optional dependency for example. We don't follow a rolling-release model and are oriented towards fixed releases, so we can only provide for now the insight for testing. When we are finished with 0.4 this will be changed again.

Your search local gives you the stable branch of the packages assigned towards 0.3.1 and therefore plasma-desktop, qtcreator or sddm. As mentioned packages have unwanted dependencies we cannot assure and we see as violation towards our social contract they won't be part for 0.4 any longer. More explanation towards that point: Hyperbola has taken one single snapshot of all repositories from "Arch Linux" back in 2017 (https://www.hyperbola.info/news/hyperbo … ally-here/) and removed all unfree packages. From that point we worked part by part towards removal of problematic frameworks and dependencies. So we have removed for example Kodi and Vice for having unfree code and content included. The version 0.4 will be the break as we did a complete rework and built all packages again but now without cloning.

About the mailing list: Yes, that is more or less known. But as mentioned before: We can only focus part by part for now. If you have some further tipps or possible hints we can use for fixing that sooner, please be invited. smile

I hope you have a great time here.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

Hello sir developer Throgh,

Thank you for your very quick response! I understood, let me try your solutions first and soon I will reply back here. I also hope a great time there (and great job vacancies too as I saw your post about it here recently).

Greetings and respects,

Malsasa

If you have more questions and / or problems: Just ask. I'm sure we can find a solution for them and eager to help here for further technical emancipation. smile

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

Hmm, had a closer look and review about your initial problem: Would you mind checking the concurrent date of the system? Here more details about the procedure: https://wiki.hyperbola.info/doku.php?id … stallation (Verification of package signatures)

Could be also a generic problem with the date and the ssl-signatures not fitting (because you have back to the future or back to the past, not your fault for sure just a humerous annotation and quote). The reasoning for my thoughts: We had upgraded 0.3.1 and the command pacstrap goes beyond local and enumerates the packages directly. So there would be no problem at all and I thought about further problems earlier, which could be therefore the date.

I know especially that part is very problematic as you need to redefine the date manually without the help of any kind of ntp-service for the moment. We are working therefore also on a more friendly installation-process for 0.4. wink

I have checked the date and it was correct. The issue still persists even after doing the Verification process you mentioned above. I am still trying now.

Posts like these indicate why v0.4 beta should be released. If folks like Malsasa have bad experience, they'll go away from Hyperbola.

sagaracharya wrote:

Posts like these indicate why v0.4 beta should be released. If folks like Malsasa have bad experience, they'll go away from Hyperbola.

I do second this, but I think it should be labelled  at the end with beta, or better yet, release candidate, since it is mega close to being ready.

Of course, that is all up to the lead devs, but yeah...

I recommend this as well especially since 0.4 has become as stable in my opinion as  release candidate,

Either way, I hope all devs reading this thread ponder this! smile

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!

Yes, reading that for sure and being onto to work the best and fast we can. Point is: We want to assure that any beta is as silent as possible and won't make big problems for users. Being near towards the point finished, but there are some smaller and bigger quircks left to be fixed including runit where Coadde has added more within the last weeks:

https://git.hyperbola.info:50100/~team/ … b63f181a7a
https://git.hyperbola.info:50100/~team/ … 1febaf0113
https://git.hyperbola.info:50100/~team/ … c626495301

10 (edited by Malsasa 2021-12-02 02:46:52)

Hello, Hyperbola Community.

After many times re-evaluating, I can confirm that this issue only happens on a Live System as per image file 'hyperbola-milky-way-v0.3.1-dual.iso' and this issue does not happen or everything is alright on an installed, fully upgraded system. I still don't know what causes this and I suspect what sir Throgh said was true, there was something wrong with the ISO's built-in old key system. Without knowing the cause or finding a solution, I am afraid this will render the iso unusable, and I would fail also to install Hyperbola 0.4 if I should use 0.3 iso, thus the ISO file needs to be updated soon by Hyperbola Team.

Picture of pacman update from the ISO's Live System Installer:
https://i.imgur.com/IXhFw7s.png

Picture of pacman update from an installed, fully-upgraded Hyperbola:
https://i.imgur.com/gAZAJSj.png

What do you think?

sagaracharya wrote:

Do not worry, my friend. I am part of Free Software Community.

I'm going to do another test with 0.3.1 within the next days and will play around a little to find out possible solutions especially as I'm interested to keep 0.3.1 for some special appliance active after 0.4 is even released - named one is wine for that and multilib without network at most.

In general: We work hard on the live-system getting it running. Emulatorman and Coadde are doing therefore much in the background. I also hope for doing more work onto virtualization, but no promise yet as libvirt is hard to get into with all its dependencies especially for running the service. I hope to come back with more news about both parts: 0.3.1-installation and also 0.4-insights. smile

throgh wrote:

I'm going to do another test with 0.3.1 within the next days and will play around a little to find out possible solutions especially as I'm interested to keep 0.3.1 for some special appliance active after 0.4 is even released - named one is wine for that and multilib without network at most.

In general: We work hard on the live-system getting it running. Emulatorman and Coadde are doing therefore much in the background. I also hope for doing more work onto virtualization, but no promise yet as libvirt is hard to get into with all its dependencies especially for running the service. I hope to come back with more news about both parts: 0.3.1-installation and also 0.4-insights. smile

Hello, sir Throgh, thank you very much for your very fast reply! I agree with above decisions. Okay, I am waiting.