Topic: The right to repair

Hey good people reading here,

you know what to do when your computer got a broken component? You know where to get the schematics and parts? With some you could get lucky. But the most common point? You won't get handbooks, you won't get schematics for components, no replacments in general and so many electronic parts are more or less for most people something to throw into the trash being marked as "junk". But with a right to repair you won't have to do that. And there I'm only talking about the bare minimum: The further points would the right to modify and the right to have freedom and privacy respected. But we are not even near the only minor target to repair hardware and electronics bought. We have even accepted that for many years now, but we won't have another chance for the future as we throw toxic junk out being a major issue for our nice blue planet at all. You see the mountains full with plastics, growing every day? That is our own decision, our own responsibility and yes: Every new little or big component you buy especially new is causing more problems. A right to repair includes a responsibility for free information. Therefore "Copyright" is something the industry is misusing for false protection: Instead helping it is only looked that no "Copyright" is damaged and I could even construct a scenario in which you would have a problem with laws when you create a replacement-schematic for some cooler and make it public. You think that won't happen? Think again as for example the company Abbott had claimed repositories where people tried to build a possibility to renew faulty sensors for their glucose monitoring system. They have done that because they think it should not be in the hand of the users. Don't get misleaded now: It is pure ignorance and the fear of those companies somebody could get independent.

That's the same with more mentioned here: Being independent, being emancipated, being in the right to repair and modify your own device the way you want. We need that for a better future at minimum, especially when we talk about mobile devices with phone-capabilities thrown away for whatever reasoning. It is the right to modify your device the way you want: No preinstalled applications? No further garbage and overload in software? That's your point. Same to reject throwing away functional sensors as mentioned earlier in my example here from Abbott. By the way for interested: https://github.com/captainbeeheart/openfreestyle ... and I think it will only take some time to rediscover and claim that again, but perhaps they have changed their position? Would be a positive surprise. But we need all to follow that line, otherwise we trash our environment and our planet with junk being for sure repairable. sad Or the alternative: Companies change the API-calls, the functions itself and open frameworks and helpers won't be helping. Do we have to accept this? For sure not, but it is our decision giving support or deny that completely in the first place. Buying hard- and software being replaced within short amount of time and we would condemn the planet for sure. The other way: Buy used hardware, use free and libre software. And that includes also keeping older platforms and architectures alive. You think progress at any cost can help? Look at the trash this is causing.

And yes: For sure it is also your "right" to buy "trash" where companies and others have no respect and no interest to guarantee your right for modification and repair. But please take into thoughts: There is no right for pure ignorance as the more people do this the more problems we all will get. There is no freedom where you can get away from your responsibility: You buy trash being not repairable? Your decision, but for sure also your responsibility and the one from the companies you have bought it from (won't mention names here as they are for sure mostly known). The more also hardware becomes smaller, the more the right to repair also vanishes but from another point: Seriously who can manage to repair circuit-boards that kind of small you cannot even solder them without more special toolsets capable? That is another way something is being made not repairable, because we "demand" to carry such small devices with us without any kind of thought to repair them one day they broke. Thinking to throw them away results again in the already mentioned parts. Please stop that - immediately at best. And in the end you can only repair hardware when you get parts for it: That is something the companies also know. Ending to make those parts, end the possibility to repair also. That is something where we need correct laws for and no market can help here as capitalism is for sure the complete wrong answer - hope you see that otherwise we end the same mentioned.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

2 (edited by zapper 2022-01-07 20:50:43)

Re: The right to repair

To be honest, the biggest thing about Abbott that offends me currently, is that he has THE AUDACITY to think HE has the RIGHT to call his damn product freestyle and to make matters worse, he has a product called freestyle libre! LIBRE! seriously? What the hell is libre about his product?!?
If it was really libre, you A: wouldn't pay a damn thing for it or  B:  you could modify it to your hearts content which I am sure he does not allow at all.
If his idea of it being freestyle libre is based on his "free trial" he can screw off and change the damn name to somethng else.

I already know you are going to try to correct me on this irritation I just showed, however, it is massively offensive that anyone can be that arrogant.

I have a feeling he called it that originally, for five reasons:

He wants to annoy the free software community
He hates the free software community
He is a viper.
The fourth, I cannot say here, it is an expletive
the fifth, same thing...

Yeah, I just dislike people who twist words to this insane extent.

It would be one thing if the product itself was free and he didn't use the word libre, it would even be one thing if it cost nothing to have possession over and he called it libre.

At least then, there would be some accountability, but this is just plain wrong man...

Seriously man...

Expletive you Abbott

You can figure out what I mean by that...

wink

EDIT: Also, right to repair should ALWAYS be legal no matter what expletive person thinks in their tiny little brain that has an ego the size of a hot air balloon.

Its enough to say, your on your own if you modify it. That should be more than sufficient for them, but alas, they just are too corrupt for that.

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!

I don't think I have the right to correct you here, zapper. smile
Also to mention that I had many discussions with them as I have tried the earlier versions and wanted to create an application - for sure a free and libre application for that. I thought back it could be a good start for me to learn more about wxWidgets and perhaps gtk, furthermore also a possibility to make that under AsteroidOS (https://asteroidos.org/).

Nobody should be surprised: They rejected my question with stating that it would hurt their "copyright" when they'd give me the specification for communication with the sensors - especially I would even in the position to recreate them therefore. After I have learned that Abbott also thought that all measured data with the devices is their property I abondoned that way. Seriously: All bloodsugar-values are mine. But well it seems they have modified their position about that as there are quite some projects now available:

https://github.com/DorianScholz/OpenLibre
https://github.com/UPetersen/LibreMonitor

What I can tell as story about it was that I had so many problems back with damaged sensors causing more trash and when contacted Abbott I had problems to get the replaced. In the end that was also a common reason for me to quit this as otherwise I'd be fully depending on their infrastructure besides it seemed to be strange for them that I don't wanted any unfree application from them for mobile devices. Long story short: I would not recommend to go for that as it would also  break the point mentioned here in the thread: The right to repair, but also the right to modify at own will.

In the end phrases like free and libre are not protected, but we have enough people damaging their meaning - including "open-source" as phrase (also a reason for me to quit the idea I have mentioned in the posting).

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

throgh wrote:

I don't think I have the right to correct you here, zapper. smile
Also to mention that I had many discussions with them as I have tried the earlier versions and wanted to create an application - for sure a free and libre application for that. I thought back it could be a good start for me to learn more about wxWidgets and perhaps gtk, furthermore also a possibility to make that under AsteroidOS (https://asteroidos.org/).

Nobody should be surprised: They rejected my question with stating that it would hurt their "copyright" when they'd give me the specification for communication with the sensors - especially I would even in the position to recreate them therefore. After I have learned that Abbott also thought that all measured data with the devices is their property I abondoned that way. Seriously: All bloodsugar-values are mine. But well it seems they have modified their position about that as there are quite some projects now available:

https://github.com/DorianScholz/OpenLibre
https://github.com/UPetersen/LibreMonitor

What I can tell as story about it was that I had so many problems back with damaged sensors causing more trash and when contacted Abbott I had problems to get the replaced. In the end that was also a common reason for me to quit this as otherwise I'd be fully depending on their infrastructure besides it seemed to be strange for them that I don't wanted any unfree application from them for mobile devices. Long story short: I would not recommend to go for that as it would also  break the point mentioned here in the thread: The right to repair, but also the right to modify at own will.

In the end phrases like free and libre are not protected, but we have enough people damaging their meaning - including "open-source" as phrase (also a reason for me to quit the idea I have mentioned in the posting).

Yeah, but it is still a really johnson like move to call it freestyle libre...  Especially given when the product came out, which I realize now is 2014... aka, in 2014, its been 29 years since the creation of FSF, I doubt these business people are deaf to this knowledge.

It would be different if his creation was created before the era of open source/firefox,  but at this point, I think honestly, there is absolutely no reason he should have called it freestyle libre.

That all being said,  I am not a diabetic, I just find the notion that he called it that, as I mentioned before, just plain irritating.

free trial does not make it free.  If it cost nothing to obtain and to keep/use, then at least free is reasonable at least in that sense, or having it have the four freedoms, but the way it is now... no way in hell.

I don't think those words need to be protected, persay, I just think that people should have some actual integrity to be honest about their product.

I hate it when people act phony aka...

sad

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!