Topic: [Hyperbola 0.4] Announcement of RC-stage before final release

Hello community,

with today we are happy to announce the first release of ISO-files ready to be tested for our upcoming version 0.4.
But before you download please acknowledge that this is for Hyperbola Milky Way v0.4 in its "Release Candidate"-stage.

You should also look for the mirrorlist under /etc/pacman.d/ before installation as for now stable-repositories are activated.
Those have to be deactivated before further installation.

This ISO concludes now months of hard work for the next major release and we hope you have that much fun to test as we had to develop.
Please give us feedback within our issue-tracker and get in contact with us for fixing! smile

https://repo.hyperbola.info:50000/other … y-v0.4-rc/

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

2 (edited by sagaracharya 2022-02-17 06:20:41)

Re: [Hyperbola 0.4] Announcement of RC-stage before final release

Superb! This is fantastic news! This should be renamed as rc1.

throgh wrote:

You should also look for the mirrorlist under /etc/pacman.d/ before installation as for now stable-repositories are activated.
Those have to be deactivated before further installation.

Does this means, comment all the repositories in /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist and uncomment testing?

let them build as many prisons as they want.
Even if the siege is closing in around us.
Our mind is like a wanderer, and will always be free.

Yes that is correct.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

5 (edited by nparafe 2022-02-17 14:35:06)

I am writing here because I can not log in to issue-tracker due #error23??...

Installing Hyperbola with full-disk encryption and more specific in the part Setting up the kernel modules running

#mkinitcpio -p linux-libre-lts

gives an error about encrypted hook missing.

Install cryptsetup as mentioned here is making the error disappear, but...

after installation, when Booting the installation manually from GRUB this appears:

error: disk 'lvm/matrix-rootvol' not found 
error: you need to load the kernel first

All the above wasn't happening in 0.3.1 ISO

We will analyze further towards that.
Thanks for reporting!

Would you mind to install cryptsetup within the chroot and then use:

mkinitcpio -p linux-libre-lts

I already tried that. It made no difference. I still got the same error in first boot.

nparafe wrote:

I already tried that. It made no difference. I still got the same error in first boot.

i have no way to try the iso cause i have no free drives atm to install hyperbola on so please wait i will see who have tryed it or can do so.

9 (edited by zapper 2022-02-17 18:19:57)

Sorry, I probably should have added this to the wiki... a long time ago:

qemu-img create -f qcow2 name-of.img 50G

qemu-system-whatever-isyour-architecture  -m  4096 -cdrom  yourhyperbola.iso -boot d name.of.qcow2 --enable-kvm

qemu-system-whatever-isyour-architecture --enable-kvm ~/yourdirectorypathtoqcow2image -cpu kvm64,+nx -m 4096 -device AC97

The above is how to make a qemu image, then install onto the qemu image and then the third command is how you access the image from that point on...

I posted this, because it will save everyone a lot of time if they plan to use testing isos or if you want to find bugs or install issues or if you want to be sure you don't mess up something by upgrading.

Hope this helps... smile

Btw, 32 bit ix x86

64 bit is x86_64

wink

Side note, I have not tried 0.4 rc iso yet, but I wonder if anyone else had any issues with it...

Also, I wondered if there is some sort of xenocara issue with certain graphics cards or if it is a non-intel issue in general, or just a screw up on iso.

At any rate, this should help you all immensely.

smile

Had to make a lot of edits, but just be aware, you need to be careful how much ram and memory you give the machine, so you dont go over...

Although it isnt a problem till you use too much capacity... but play safe.

When I have time I will add it  to the wiki so people can have a workaround, so they don't unknowningly upgrade without knowing the risks involved.

Aka, you can test using qemu,  without running into a lot of irritation...

Just make sure to save more than one copy of VM before you try anything...

When you need to, delete the screw up, make another from the clean version and you are set...

Sorry, had a crap ton of edits...

sad

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!

thank you zapper i have never made qemu work but now with ur help i will try again, maybe i will test it tomorrow if i get some free time

At best I'd propose only to use a rolling RC-system, so there will be a new one for testing. In general I cannot say if there are issues with Xenocara as being most stable. Also to remember: AMD / ATI are in every part unfree and NVidia has its own problem. This does not mean I want to have all others out, but a free system without any kind of blobs would come at a price and this means unfree blobs won't be loaded. Doing workarounds is even more work, so we need for sure feedback and help.

More information about lvm:

To enable LVM in Grub, it is necessary to add "lvm" module in "GRUB_PRELOAD_MODULES" variable, this should solve the problem.
(https://forums.hyperbola.info/viewtopic … 4091#p4091)

https://git.hyperbola.info:50100/~team/ … f940e94370
https://wiki.hyperbola.info/doku.php?id … el_modules
GRUB_PRELOAD_MODULES (with "lvm") and GRUB_ENABLE_CRYPTODISK are not in the wiki (for now).

13 (edited by zapper 2022-02-18 03:26:14)

throgh wrote:

At best I'd propose only to use a rolling RC-system, so there will be a new one for testing. In general I cannot say if there are issues with Xenocara as being most stable. Also to remember: AMD / ATI are in every part unfree and NVidia has its own problem. This does not mean I want to have all others out, but a free system without any kind of blobs would come at a price and this means unfree blobs won't be loaded. Doing workarounds is even more work, so we need for sure feedback and help.

I could have sworn some AMD processors and some nvidia graphics cards that are really old, still are able to work without blobs...

Is that wrong?

Hmm...

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!

throgh wrote:

More information about lvm:

To enable LVM in Grub, it is necessary to add "lvm" module in "GRUB_PRELOAD_MODULES" variable, this should solve the problem.
(https://forums.hyperbola.info/viewtopic … 4091#p4091)

https://git.hyperbola.info:50100/~team/ … f940e94370
https://wiki.hyperbola.info/doku.php?id … el_modules
GRUB_PRELOAD_MODULES (with "lvm") and GRUB_ENABLE_CRYPTODISK are not in the wiki (for now).

I thought that for libreboot, I do not need to install grub during isntallation, because libreboot already contains grub, at least I didn't had to install grub during encrypted install using 0.3.1.

In conclusion, is it mandatory to install grub and edit grub.cfg in order to boot, even though I am using libreboot?

nparafe wrote:

I thought that for libreboot, I do not need to install grub during isntallation, because libreboot already contains grub, at least I didn't had to install grub during encrypted install using 0.3.1.

In conclusion, is it mandatory to install grub and edit grub.cfg in order to boot, even though I am using libreboot?

Yes, grub should be mandatory. Typical sequence is bootloader (libreboot) -> grub -> kernel -> tty

16 (edited by nparafe 2022-02-18 07:36:31)

I don't know if I am missing something, but

editing /etc/default/grub by adding

• GRUB_PRELOAD_MODULES="lvm"

and uncomment

• GRUB_ENABLE_CRYPTODISK=y

And finally executing

grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg 

doesn't solve the problem. I still get at boot:

error: disk 'lvm/matrix-rootvol' not found 

can u follow this guide instead untill we rework our wiki
https://forums.hyperbola.info/viewtopic.php?id=164

rachad wrote:

can u follow this guide instead untill we rework our wiki
https://forums.hyperbola.info/viewtopic.php?id=164

For now I'll wait until there is an updated wiki for 0.4.

Elsewhere, I have found the following bugs:

1) I cannot enable spell checking in abiword. I believe it is an aspell problem

$ aspell -c foo.txt
Error: The file "/usr/lib/aspell-0.60/en-common.rws" is not in the proper format. Incompatible hash function.

2) Logout & reboot buttons,  don't seem to do anything in jwm (I am using it with jwmkit)

3) Opening lxrand and choosing any option (i.e.  Turn off laptop LCD and use external monitor only), though making the change succesfully, doesn't provide an OK button and after 15 sec it reverts back to previous setting. The only option is to kill the window in that timeframe.

Towards the problems you have encountered within your installation:

1.) For me aspell is working with de-dictionary. What kind of language-settings are you using? Especially the locale.
2.) Please then go for questioning upstream if you encounter problems: https://codeberg.org/JWMKit/JWM_Kit (if there is something missing within our package, we need to know)
3.) Using IceWM I have all needed so there is no revert. (ThinkPad X200 with libreboot also)

Perhaps you tryout configuring jwm first a bit more manual? I'll tryout that later also with another system using jwm.

Generic reminder to everyone: Please call first things you have encountered "problems", not "bugs". As the phrase "bug" already is bound with an error directly in the software and we search then perhaps hours or days for something being solved elsewhere (different kind of configuration, missing settings etc.). For sure this needs to be resolved: Better documentation, inserting more content for our Wiki to come. But this is something for a concrete research we can do here together. Free software is living from feedback and working together. So personally I hope everyone is clear, that we cannot be left alone solving something without you when you report something. You are with us for sure then! wink

20 (edited by JWMKit 2022-02-20 13:39:38)

nparafe wrote:

2) Logout & reboot buttons,  don't seem to do anything in jwm (I am using it with jwmkit)

You must configure how jwmkit_logout request permission.

https://codeberg.org/JWMKit/JWM_Kit/wiki/firstrun

The solution is in the "Permissions" section of the page.

Big THANK YOU for information, JWMKit! smile

We have now prepared another version now with RC2: https://repo.hyperbola.info:50000/other … -v0.4-rc2/

Within there is now hyperinstaller for further testing.

throgh wrote:

1.) For me aspell is working with de-dictionary. What kind of language-settings are you using? Especially the locale.

$ locale
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LANGUAGE=
LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=
pacman -Qe | grep aspell
aspell-i18n-dict-el 0.08.0-1
aspell-i18n-dict-en 2020.12.07.0-1
throgh wrote:

Generic reminder to everyone: Please call first things you have encountered "problems", not "bugs". As the phrase "bug" already is bound with an error directly in the software and we search then perhaps hours or days for something being solved elsewhere (different kind of configuration, missing settings etc.). For sure this needs to be resolved: Better documentation, inserting more content for our Wiki to come. But this is something for a concrete research we can do here together. Free software is living from feedback and working together. So personally I hope everyone is clear, that we cannot be left alone solving something without you when you report something. You are with us for sure then! wink

OK I have no problem with that. In fact I am so exited for this project that I am wiling to help. I wish that there was a better way, though, to submit bugs or minor problems, than posting them here.

Then let's do a deep dive. smile
First things first: A view into the file /etc/locale.gen. There you should definitely activate the corresponding locales you want to use. After that use the command: doas locale-gen

Also a copy from my /etc/locale.conf:

LANG=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_COLLATE=C
export LANG=de_DE.UTF-8

Mine /etc/config is:

LANG=en_US.UTF-8
el_GR ISO-8859-7  

Adding LC_COLLATE=C, when running  doas locale-gen gives:

error: Bad entry 'LC_COLLATE=C '

And adding export LANG=de_DE.UTF-8:

export.LANG=en_US.UTF-8...[error] character map file `LANG=en_US.UTF-8' not found: No such file or directory

After that, the same putput:

$ aspell -c foo.txt
Error: The file "/usr/lib/aspell-0.60/en-common.rws" is not in the proper format. Incompatible hash function.