Topic: Should libfdk-aac remain in Hyperbola?

FSF and Fedora consider it freely licensed while Debian does not.
I removed it from my system alongside gst-plugins-bad (I already removed webkitgtk as it depends on enchant and I needed a newer version of it for subtitleeditor and a recompiled claws-mail works with the newer version of enchant as well).
Incidentally, Avidemux (which can use libfdk-aac) can use a few other free audio codecs - aften and dcaenc from AUR. After installing those, recompiling avidemux from Hyperbola's repo produces a version of Avidemux that can use these codecs.
https://i.imgur.com/Dl33Lyr.png

Re: Should libfdk-aac remain in Hyperbola?

Can be perhaps considered, nevertheless as long the license is considered free and libre: We are oriented onto the licenses proposed by the FSF therefore, not on Debian alone.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

3 (edited by aloniv 2022-04-23 10:54:01)

I forgot to mention that the license of libfdk-aac is not considered GPL compatible by FSF so shipping a GPL licensed programme that uses it (Avidemux) might be considered problematic. I suggest compiling Avidemux without it and offering fdkaac (which isn't packaged in Hyperbola but can be found in Arch) as a front-end to libfdk-aac instead for those interested in using it.

4 (edited by zapper 2022-04-24 04:37:51)

aloniv wrote:

I forgot to mention that the license of libfdk-aac is not considered GPL compatible by FSF so shipping a GPL licensed programme that uses it (Avidemux) might be considered problematic. I suggest compiling Avidemux without it and offering fdkaac (which isn't packaged in Hyperbola but can be found in Arch) as a front-end to libfdk-aac instead for those interested in using it.

Hmm...

I originally said that I thought it was free, because of fedora, but after reading FSF, I don't really know.

But just in case, it might be good to look for alternatives, if they exist.

wink

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!

FFmpeg includes an AAC encoder which can always be used instead of libfdk-aac (and is supported by Avidemux as can be seen by my screenshot above).

libfdk-aac will be removed completely and the mentioned packages get either a rework or an update for 0.4.1, fixing therefore the problem.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

7 (edited by aloniv 2022-04-24 13:54:29)

For those interested, I'm using this PKGBUILD for avidemux instead of the official one (which requires aften and dcaenc available from AUR).

# Maintainer (Arch): Levente Polyak <anthraxx[at]archlinux[dot]org>
# Maintainer (Arch): Eric Bélanger <eric@archlinux.org>
# Maintainer: André Silva <emulatorman@hyperbola.info>
# Contributor: Tobias Dausend <throgh@hyperbola.info>

pkgbase=avidemux
pkgname=('avidemux-cli' 'avidemux-qt')
pkgver=2.7.8
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc='Graphical tool to edit video (filter/re-encode/split)'
url='http://fixounet.free.fr/avidemux/'
arch=('i686' 'x86_64')
license=('GPL-2')
makedepends=('cmake' 'libxslt' 'qt-base' 'jack' 'libvorbis' 'libxv' 'opus' 'desktop-file-utils'
             'alsa-lib' 'lame' 'xvidcore' 'faad2' 'x264' 'x265' 'libsamplerate' 'libmad'
             'opencore-amr' 'yasm' 'mesa' 'libvpx' 'libsndio' 'libva' 'intltool' 'sqlite'
             'libvdpau' 'libdca' 'fribidi' 'glu' 'qt-tools' 'twolame'  'libass'
             'libmp4v2' 'a52dec' 'aften' 'dcaenc')
options=('!emptydirs')
source=(https://downloads.sourceforge.net/avidemux/avidemux_${pkgver}.tar.gz
        log.diff
        qt-5.15.diff)
sha512sums=('d936eb005a8418b8f3081fce599cd04bb1a256bb7cb4bf50bf2ed876658881ca76b8c6f3805da9f05614eea44eaf2d53da0f802b28ce76e754b738f2682df031'
            'bbae5b4a549113b12e728c4c0ac8c1c92a0b7500be8dcecc791c16c9a913406feaa9f7bc477985970a920d2df391cc9392457512d84b9c4b829981cc072f2b2e'
            'ed78c2a3e4ede4fed1d3ea353c7dc350dc73050f76c8112cb24d97b3eda01f7c186d5db199f71f56953c5e5d8104de44dc0e84e1bfa01b6647c050c11fc375f2')

prepare() {
  cd ${pkgbase}_${pkgver}
  patch -Np1 -i ../log.diff  # don't hide the build output
  patch -Np1 -i ../qt-5.15.diff  # fix build against Qt 5.15.0

sed -i 's|../avidemux/qt4|../avidemux/qt4 -DLRELEASE_EXECUTABLE=/usr/bin/lrelease-qt5|' bootStrap.bash
  sed -e 's|0.19|1.0|' -i avidemux_plugins/ADM_videoFilters6/ass/CMakeLists.txt
  sed -i 's|faacDecInit|NeAACDecInit|' cmake/admCheckFaad.cmake # detect faad2 correct
}

build() {
  if [[ $CARCH = "i686" ]]; then
    export CXXFLAGS="-Og"
    export CFLAGS="-Og"
  fi

cd ${pkgbase}_${pkgver}
  bash bootStrap.bash \
    --with-core \
    --with-cli \
    --with-qt \
    --with-plugins \
    --with-system-libass \
    --with-system-libmad \
    --with-system-libmp4v2 \
    --with-system-liba52
}

package_avidemux-cli() {
  depends=('libxml2' 'fontconfig' 'sqlite' 'libvpx' 'libva' 'libvdpau')
  optdepends=('lame: for the corresponding audio encoder plugin'
              'faad2: for the corresponding audio decoder plugin'
              'opus: for the corresponding audio decoder plugin'
              'opencore-amr: for the corresponding audio decoder plugin'
              'a52dec: for the corresponding audio decoder plugin'
              'jack: for the corresponding audio device plugin'
              'libsndio: for the corresponding audio device plugin'
              'x264: for the corresponding video encoder plugin'
              'libx264: for the corresponding video encoder plugin'
              'libmp4v2: for the corresponding video encoder plugin'
              'x265: for the corresponding video encoder plugin'
              'xvidcore: for the corresponding video encoder plugin'
              'qt-base: for the QtScript scripting support'
              'libdca: for the corresponding audio decoder plugin'
              'twolame: for the corresponding audio decoder plugin'
              'libass: for the corresponding video filter plugin'
              'fribidi: for the corresponding video filter plugin'
              'aften: for the corresponding audio device plugin' 
              'dcaenc: for the corresponding audio device plugin')

cd ${pkgbase}_${pkgver}
  make -C buildCli DESTDIR="${pkgdir}" install
  make -C buildCore DESTDIR="${pkgdir}" install
  make -C buildPluginsCLI DESTDIR="${pkgdir}" install
  make -C buildPluginsCommon DESTDIR="${pkgdir}" install

install -Dm 644 avidemux_icon.png "${pkgdir}/usr/share/pixmaps/avidemux.png"
  install -Dm 644 man/avidemux.1 -t "${pkgdir}/usr/share/man/man1"

install -Dm644 COPYING -t "${pkgdir}/usr/share/licenses/$pkgname"
}

package_avidemux-qt() {
  pkgdesc='Graphical tool to edit video (filter/re-encode/split) - Qt GUI'
  depends=("avidemux-cli=${pkgver}" 'qt-base' 'x264' 'x265' 'glu' 'libxv' 'desktop-file-utils')

cd ${pkgbase}_${pkgver}
  make -C buildQt5 DESTDIR="${pkgdir}" install
  make -C buildPluginsQt5 DESTDIR="${pkgdir}" install

install -Dm644 COPYING -t "${pkgdir}/usr/share/licenses/$pkgname"
}

throgh wrote:

libfdk-aac will be removed completely and the mentioned packages get either a rework or an update for 0.4.1, fixing therefore the problem.

Side note, what is libfdk-aac even for?

Just curious...

zapper wrote:

Just curious...

It's a shared library for Fraunhofer FDK AAC.  It allows you to encode audio to ACC, and does a good job at it.  It's another case where Open source does not equal FOSS.  The problem is that license requires you to have an authorized patent licenses to distribute it.

JWMKit wrote:
zapper wrote:

Just curious...

It's a shared library for Fraunhofer FDK AAC.  It allows you to encode audio to ACC, and does a good job at it.  It's another case where Open source does not equal FOSS.  The problem is that license requires you to have an authorized patent licenses to distribute it.

Quick question out of curiosity...

How is this even legal???

Shouldn't it be illegal to make licenses for any kind of software that confusing?

Oh wait, I forgot, that's what more than a third of the world is becoming....

Nevermind, sorry I asked...

Good question. wink I agree with you.

I don't know all the details, It's not like I've read the license. Just from what I remember from past reading.  So I hope my info was correct. wink

12 (edited by zapper 2022-04-25 02:17:27)

JWMKit wrote:

Good question. wink I agree with you.

I don't know all the details, It's not like I've read the license. Just from what I remember from past reading.  So I hope my info was correct. wink

Btw, is it still possible to change mp4 to m4a, play them, or for that matter, using dvdbackup to lift them off of dvds and in general just changing the format of the audio/video files?

Just wondering...

Btw,

https://forums.hyperbola.info/viewtopic … 4389#p4389

do you have interest in this at all?

If not, no worries, I just wondered, if you know how I can make jwm look more colorful like xfast. smile

Like this:

https://a.fsdn.com/con/app/proj/xfast/screenshots/175752.jpg/max/max/1

It doesn't need to be said btw, but yeah,

minus the bloatware/non-free stuff.

tongue

dvdbackup won't be a problem here. And handbrake is using ffmpeg for AAC, therefore MKV and MP4 as container-formats also. smile

throgh wrote:

dvdbackup won't be a problem here. And handbrake is using ffmpeg for AAC, therefore MKV and MP4 as container-formats also. smile

Huh,  then I wonder when I would actually need it, if I even did need it...

Meh...

Dunno...

Thread closed as package libfdk-aac was removed now and the corresponding packages using it got a rework: https://git.hyperbola.info:50100/~team/ … d5aee9d35c

Please use different threads for your personal enhancements of some packages. Share them when you think they are ready there!