Topic: NVIDIA Transitioning To Official, Libre Linux GPU Kernel Driver

https://www.phoronix.com/forums/forum/p … iver/page2

Userspace is still proprietary but this might be useful alongside nouveau.

Re: NVIDIA Transitioning To Official, Libre Linux GPU Kernel Driver

I don't think this will help further as it is just more out of corporate open-source. Even with a permissive and free license we should always remember that there is the possibility to remove and relicense again. So in the end it should help nouveau to get further with performance and more. For a free and libre system like Hyperbola there is nothing to get otherwise from.

Same as for mesa needing now directx-headers. Here as an example from Parabola:

https://www.parabola.nu/packages/?q=directx-headers

Needed to build mesa. Yes, the license would fit from the first perspective (MIT, in our case Expat). But why mixing "directx" into a UNIX-context? Why should we even care for this toxic present? The reasoning why I use "toxic" is that there just headers. There is no comparable point to review the rest and so the whole point is just about to name is as "compatibility-headers" for the convinience of people using Vulkan, Wine and DXVK therefore. So it is just more of the same blunt "open-source"-nonsense. To remember: All newer graphiccards need an unfree firmware-blob to provide all features, no exclusion for NVidia therefore.
So I understand that same parts like Phoronix are going for a party, I won't do that. We are heading not in that direction and it is for the better as we won't tell illusions. Free soft- and hardware means also that. No compromise. smile

The day AMD, Nvidia and Intel will release ALL sources for their firmware, would be a day for me recognizing that as a step in a some kind better direction.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

3 (edited by anthk 2022-05-12 21:34:23)

throgh wrote:

I don't think this will help further as it is just more out of corporate open-source. Even with a permissive and free license we should always remember that there is the possibility to remove and relicense again. So in the end it should help nouveau to get further with performance and more. For a free and libre system like Hyperbola there is nothing to get otherwise from.

Same as for mesa needing now directx-headers. Here as an example from Parabola:

https://www.parabola.nu/packages/?q=directx-headers

Needed to build mesa. Yes, the license would fit from the first perspective (MIT, in our case Expat). But why mixing "directx" into a UNIX-context? Why should we even care for this toxic present? The reasoning why I use "toxic" is that there just headers. There is no comparable point to review the rest and so the whole point is just about to name is as "compatibility-headers" for the convinience of people using Vulkan, Wine and DXVK therefore. So it is just more of the same blunt "open-source"-nonsense. To remember: All newer graphiccards need an unfree firmware-blob to provide all features, no exclusion for NVidia therefore.
So I understand that same parts like Phoronix are going for a party, I won't do that. We are heading not in that direction and it is for the better as we won't tell illusions. Free soft- and hardware means also that. No compromise. smile

The day AMD, Nvidia and Intel will release ALL sources for their firmware, would be a day for me recognizing that as a step in a some kind better direction.

My Intel  NUC is old but it works with Linux Libre and MESA with Vulkan and GL 4.6.

On Nvidia, just a step over AMD/Radeon with a BIG propietary firmware and userland ( NV libGL).

At least there are lots of libre games playable even under a GL 2.1 card as the one I own on my Celeron (Intel, free drivers and Linux-libre).

There's Minetest, Trigger Rally, Slashem, FreeCiv, UfoAI, Flare, Crispy Doom + FreeDOOM...

Just interested: Which GPU is used within the NUC?

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

throgh wrote:

Just interested: Which GPU is used within the NUC?

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation UHD Graphics 605 (rev 06)